Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My rear fan bypass box!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know the price of that OEM bypass tube ? Its got to be cheaper than the Fabspeed part ! albeit not as flash
Old 03-27-2009, 08:38 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

$265.50 from Pelican Parts...still pretty pricey for a piece of plastic methinks.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

that is a ridiculous price for a piece of plastic pipe ! Kerr-ching !! Being fleeced narks me big time, my heart bleeds for all these car manufactures struggling
Old 03-27-2009, 11:39 AM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

I will buy the Fabspeed heat bypass tube if it is made in the USA. I would rather pay a few bucks more for a part that is made here from Carbon Fiber. The rotoformed OEM tube is no nicer than cheap Rubbermade junk, cost was most likely a few bucks to make even after you factor in the Mold cost. However, if Fabspeed outsources that tube to China, I will not buy it, I refuse to buy Chinese products if I have a choice.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fuse

Must say that I had litle doubt about wiring the two wiresin the fusebox; but it did the trick the blowers infront work. Picture of using the old parts and drilled hole for the tubes.
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2009, 09:25 PM
james944
Instructor

Default Great Success!

I've also just tried the jumper solution on my car. It's a MY '90 (late '89 build date) with the bypass pipe and what I believe to be the original CCU... At least idling in the driveway all of the fan speeds seem to work on full heat, which they never have before. The fan speed for the heat settings area little slower than for cold, but maybe that's just my imagination.

Thanks Guys,
James
Old 03-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fan Bypass

I tried the jumpers out yesterday on a Porsche drive and everything operated perfectly with both heat and A/C.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:58 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by james944
I've also just tried the jumper solution on my car. It's a MY '90 (late '89 build date) with the bypass pipe and what I believe to be the original CCU... At least idling in the driveway all of the fan speeds seem to work on full heat, which they never have before. The fan speed for the heat settings area little slower than for cold, but maybe that's just my imagination.

Thanks Guys,
James
That's the same for me. But you didn't get a hesitation on speeed 4 when you turn up the heat?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:29 AM
james944
Instructor

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
That's the same for me. But you didn't get a hesitation on speeed 4 when you turn up the heat?
I'll check again tomorrow just to make sure, but no, I didn't notice any hesitation on any setting when I switched from the temp dial over to heat.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:10 AM
xeps
Instructor

I definitely experience an occasional delay in my 89 c4. It seems inconsistent, sometimes there, sometimes not. I would say it lasts a maximum of about 3-4 seconds.

If I recall correctly, the delay is only experienced if I have the heat turned up and then turn the fan on. If the fan is set to 4 and I turn the heat to a higher setting, no delay is experienced. There is no delay initially if set to full cold.

I still have my dead blower motor installed as I anxiously await the bypass tube. As you can imagine, having a gigantic unmoving fan in the way probably isn't helping things - so my airflow is pretty marginal anyway. May or may not be related.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

"I definitely experience an occasional delay in my 89 c4. It seems inconsistent, sometimes there, sometimes not. I would say it lasts a maximum of about 3-4 seconds.

If I recall correctly, the delay is only experienced if I have the heat turned up and then turn the fan on. If the fan is set to 4 and I turn the heat to a higher setting, no delay is experienced. There is no delay initially if set to full cold."

Could be true, I've only tried this in the garage so far with the ignition on. Maybe it won't be a problem in "real life". And the hesitation is as you say maybe 2-3 seconds.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:39 PM
rollingjack
Advanced

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
I've only tried this in the garage so far with the ignition on.....
Hi, is voltage still over 12V or much less ? Maybe is there your problem?
Old 03-31-2009, 04:33 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by rollingjack
Hi, is voltage still over 12V or much less ? Maybe is there your problem?
That's a good idea. The battery has been charged during the winter and should be in good shape. But this could be the reason! I'll check it out.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Twood
Racer

Default Heater bypass modification

I have had a flat battery twice in the last month sincle I installed the jumpers into the relay to make my heater bypass work.
I thought that rather than search for an alternative to my problemI would ask if anyone else experienced a battery drain since doing this modification?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:19 PM
james944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Twood
I have had a flat battery twice in the last month sincle I installed the jumpers into the relay to make my heater bypass work.
I thought that rather than search for an alternative to my problemI would ask if anyone else experienced a battery drain since doing this modification?
I think that if the temperature in the engine bay remains high after the car has been turned off the CCU will run the rear blower to cool the engine. That may be what is draining your battery. Do you still have the temp sensor connected? Was your engine particularly warm before the battery died?

Quick Reply: My rear fan bypass box!