Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My rear fan bypass box!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a similar set up for shutting off the CCU when the car is off due to the small fan in the back of the CCU staying on constantly. Eventually I will get around to fixing the CCU.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

NICE FIX!! ...come to think of it, around the time I bypassed that relay with the jumpers, I had my first "dead" battery experience! Sometimes the car will go a week without going dead, sometimes a day or two.

Hmmmm, now I may know what the culprit is! Thanks for posting Twood...I never even thought of that as the issue.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Twood -
Can you get a better pic of what terminals (pin numbers) you wired to and how it was hooked up-
What kind of relay did you use - just a a standard ?
Would like to duplicate your set up but am not sure exactly what you did -
Is it working Ok for you ?
Thanks for the information -
Regards
Gus
Old 08-17-2009, 05:20 AM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gus
The relay is just a standard 40amp relay with 4 terminals. Power is supplied to the relay when ignition is on and no power when ignition is off.
It has been in for nearly 2 weeks now and there have been no flat batteries and the CCU is working perfectly. I am sure any auto electrician wil be able to install one in less than 15 minutes.

Good luck Ken

Originally Posted by Gus
Twood -
Can you get a better pic of what terminals (pin numbers) you wired to and how it was hooked up-
Is it working Ok for you ?
Thanks for the information -
Regards
Gus
Old 03-23-2010, 03:42 AM
anto1150
Pro

Originally Posted by Gus
Twood -
+1

Twood, please, could you take a close shot of the relay and the connections for us?

Thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 04:14 AM
Twood
Racer

Default Fan bypass

Originally Posted by anto1150
+1

Twood, please, could you take a close shot of the relay and the connections for us?

Thanks
I had a friend that is an auto electrician do it for me so I am a little vague on the exact details.
It was a standard relay (his words it is the most commom relay he uses) and it was simply that when the ignition is off there is no power going to the fan or any where else.
When the ignition is on then there is power flowing and the A/C thinks that there is a fan installed.

Sorry to be so vague - I understand what he did without understanding the exact way of installing it. I am sure if you speak to your auto electrician he will understand. It has been in for at least 6 months and there are absolutely no problemns with the A?C and heat plus the window demister all working perfectly.

Let me know how you go.

regards Ken
Old 03-23-2010, 05:06 AM
anto1150
Pro

Originally Posted by Twood
I had a friend that is an auto electrician do it for me so I am a little vague on the exact details.
It was a standard relay (his words it is the most commom relay he uses) and it was simply that when the ignition is off there is no power going to the fan or any where else.
When the ignition is on then there is power flowing and the A/C thinks that there is a fan installed.

Sorry to be so vague - I understand what he did without understanding the exact way of installing it. I am sure if you speak to your auto electrician he will understand. It has been in for at least 6 months and there are absolutely no problemns with the A?C and heat plus the window demister all working perfectly.

Let me know how you go.

regards Ken
Ken,

thanks for the prompt reply. Could you take a shot of the cabling? You just take the fuse-box cover off and, without touching anything, take a close photo.... I think many here will apreciate...
Old 03-23-2010, 05:22 AM
Twood
Racer

Ken,

thanks for the prompt reply. Could you take a shot of the cabling? You just take the fuse-box cover off and, without touching anything, take a close photo.... I think many here will apreciate...
Anto

Will do - it will be tomorrow because it is a bit dark on the other side of the world for the next 12 hours.
That is a nice looking car that you have there from what I can see - how about some extra photos of your car.

Will send the photos of the relay through tomorrow.

cheers Ken
Old 03-23-2010, 05:39 AM
anto1150
Pro

Anto

Will do - it will be tomorrow because it is a bit dark on the other side of the world for the next 12 hours.
That is a nice looking car that you have there from what I can see - how about some extra photos of your car.

Will send the photos of the relay through tomorrow.

cheers Ken
Ken,

thanks! I will post some photos.
I know, I know... I was born in Sydney and still have relatives also in Brisbane... My heart is half-half in Italy and Australia...

ciao
Old 03-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Twood
Racer

Default Relay

Ken,

thanks! I will post some photos.
I know, I know... I was born in Sydney and still have relatives also in Brisbane... My heart is half-half in Italy and Australia...

ciao
Hope this works. I always have trouble attaching photographs.

Last edited by Twood; 12-06-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 PM
anto1150
Pro

Hope this works. I always have trouble attaching photographs.

I really find it hard to understand the cabling from those photos... all cables have the same color and I see a black cable going elsewhere... how knows where?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Twood
Racer

I believe the black cable goes to power. when the ignition is on there is power - no ignition no power. When you turn on the ignition and the relay has power it then workd the CCU. Does that make sense?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:10 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I thought the trick was as simple as what was stated in post #18...

Originally Posted by rollingjack
Hi,
first remove the rear blower relay. Then install two jumpers in same place. Connect 30 to 87 and 30C to 87C, or 30 to 87C and 30C to 87. No difference. 30 and 30C are anyway connected.
No more. You can now remove temperature probe and original resistor too, if you want.
Sorry if I'm wrong, or I missed something after multiple pages. I'm ready to do this mod. but first I have to pay off a recent speeding ticket...
Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Twood
Racer

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I thought the trick was as simple as what was stated in post #18...

Sorry if I'm wrong, or I missed something after multiple pages. I'm ready to do this mod. but first I have to pay off a recent speeding ticket...
I thought the same but when I came to do the modification as discribed I had a constant battery drain. The later models all you had to do was add the resistors but that did not work on my model. It seems the different models of the same car have different problems.
That was when I had the relay installed and now everything works perfectly except the driver - he sometimes has lapses.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:13 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi All,

A friend of mine is trying to get his modification to work. He's got the fabspeed bypass and fitted the jumper wires on the relay terminal block but getting no heat. Cabin fans work on the blue dot but stop running as soon as he selects heat i.e. the jumper wires don't appear to be having any effect.

The car is new to him so we don't know if the previous owner messed anything else up when fitting the bypass (we're guessing that the PO never got it to work with heat either). He's checked that the 30 amp rear fuse is OK but is there anything else that we need to check?

Quick Reply: My rear fan bypass box!