Sponsored by:

Dollar Amount for C4 to C2 conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:51 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

There was an article published in Panorama a while ago about converting a 964 C4 to a C2. Once the Rennlist search engine comes back on-line, you should be able to find it.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
There was an article published in Panorama a while ago about converting a 964 C4 to a C2. Once the Rennlist search engine comes back on-line, you should be able to find it.
Is the article available online ? I've searched and have never actually found it.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 AM
young_dennis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would be good if some could post it if they can find it ! I haven't found anything on this subject
Old 02-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Found the Panorama issue(s). Its an article by Joel Reiser. It was published in the April & May 2007 issues. Unfortunately, PCA does not have the articles on-line that I can see.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:30 PM
young_dennis
Advanced

Found the Panorama issue(s). Its an article by Joel Reiser. It was published in the April & May 2007 issues. Unfortunately, PCA does not have the articles on-line that I can see.
is there anyway you can scan it?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Can I scan it? I'll try looking for the magazines over the weekend. If I can find the articles, yes but my filing system is not very organized. In the mean time, the search function on RL is working again. I'd suggest reading these.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...onversion.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...good-idea.html
Old 02-20-2009, 10:44 PM
young_dennis
Advanced

Can I scan it? I'll try looking for the magazines over the weekend. If I can find the articles, yes but my filing system is not very organized. In the mean time, the search function on RL is working again. I'd suggest reading these.

That would be great if you could..Thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 03:22 AM
young_dennis
Advanced

Hi Rocket Rob
Did you manage to scan the magazine?

Cheers
Dennis
Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Dennis - No. Haven't had time to search my old Pano's. Maybe this weekend.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:44 PM
young_dennis
Advanced

Dennis - No. Haven't had time to search my old Pano's. Maybe this weekend.
thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Dennis - I struck out. I can't find those issues of Pano.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My $0.02...

I am doing a conversion to a G50/20 (among other things) for my 964 C4 so from a cost basis, the most expensive part for me was the new gearbox itself (I paid in the region of US$6,000 for mine).

The "Sputnik" 4WD system in the 964s relies on longitudinal and lateral sensors (hidden under the center console) as well as the ABS sensors to detect wheel slippage and direction of travel. From these inputs the PDAS brain is able to shuffle the power between the diffs accordingly.

As mentioned earlier (and unlike in the 993s), simply disconnecting the front drive shaft will not work because of the inherent design of the diffs (I know I'm oversimplifying this). A working 2WD conversion on a C4 requires a G50/xx, and chucking the G64.

After replacement of the gearbox and removal of the ancillary drivetrain parts, you will have to block off the diff lock solenoid valve (or remove it; it is located in the trunk). Once this is done and if I recall correctly, everything else can pretty much stay in place. The PDAS warning light might activate, but the car should function correctly. I'll double check this info when I get home from work, or perhaps someone else can chime in.

HTH
Old 03-06-2009, 05:11 AM
young_dennis
Advanced

Originally Posted by roadsleeper
My $0.02...

I am doing a conversion to a G50/20 (among other things) for my 964 C4 so from a cost basis, the most expensive part for me was the new gearbox itself (I paid in the region of US$6,000 for mine).

The "Sputnik" 4WD system in the 964s relies on longitudinal and lateral sensors (hidden under the center console) as well as the ABS sensors to detect wheel slippage and direction of travel. From these inputs the PDAS brain is able to shuffle the power between the diffs accordingly.

As mentioned earlier (and unlike in the 993s), simply disconnecting the front drive shaft will not work because of the inherent design of the diffs (I know I'm oversimplifying this). A working 2WD conversion on a C4 requires a G50/xx, and chucking the G64.

After replacement of the gearbox and removal of the ancillary drivetrain parts, you will have to block off the diff lock solenoid valve (or remove it; it is located in the trunk). Once this is done and if I recall correctly, everything else can pretty much stay in place. The PDAS warning light might activate, but the car should function correctly. I'll double check this info when I get home from work, or perhaps someone else can chime in.

HTH
Cool thanks for the info and any more info you may have...Some say its easier to remove stuff then add stuff like you would have to do in a tipo conversion into a manual
Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 AM
young_dennis
Advanced

Dennis - I struck out. I can't find those issues of Pano.
Thanks for looking anyway
Old 03-09-2009, 01:06 AM
roadsleeper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by young_dennis
Cool thanks for the info and any more info you may have...Some say its easier to remove stuff then add stuff like you would have to do in a tipo conversion into a manual
The amount of work involved in converting from 4WD to 2WD is certainly akin to changing from Tip to manual; and yes, I would agree that it is easier to remove everything whilst working on the conversion.

To add to my previous post, to do a proper conversion requires you to replace the ABS brain, the wires in the wiring harness (the plug is different), the gearbox, etc.; but to do it in a more cost effective manner would be to retain the PDAS/ABS brain. That being said, your biggest cost will still be acquiring a G50 'box, and my opinion is that if you are paying that much, you might as well go the extra length to do it right.

The results are worth the effort though. If you have ever driven similar-condition C4s and C2s back-to-back on the track, the handling characteristics are very different. A C4 set up as it was at the factory will understeer like a FWD car on transitional corners, whereas a C2 will be less inclined to understeer. Once you start playing around with the suspension settings, the differences can be day and night.

Also, there was an earlier comment that you should just acquire a C2 - easier said than done if you already own a C4 that you are happy with. The added bonus is that the C4s have higher torsional rigidity due to the differences in the front section structure (because of the front diff).

HTH

Quick Reply: Dollar Amount for C4 to C2 conversion?