Sponsored by:

Crank Pulley Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:19 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crank Pulley Removal

I need to remove my crank pulley (engine in car) in order to remove the ac bracket to replace the timing chain cover. I have tool P9285/1 for removing the pulley, however I have not been able to get the P9290 tool in order to hold the crank in place to remove the holding nut. Anybody have any ideas on how to get the holding nut out with damaging the harmonic balancer. I have done a search and read where it is not good to put the car in gear as a way to hold it in place.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:16 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you want to do this with the engine in the car? not sure that is wise. first you don't have a lot of room in that situation, second you can't see what you are doing very well. you wouldn't want to cost yourself a ton of money causing damage because you couldn't see what you were doing. in my view you have to pull the engine. if we lived closer I'd come by and walk you through what to do. in the absense of that I'd recommend you consider calling Bob Aines shop in Charlotte.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:07 AM
mr pg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pulley needs replacing, but to do so, my garage claim it requires a partial drop of the engine to do so.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:11 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

I already have almost everything off the back of the car (engine tin, rear bumper, engine carrier, etc.). Therefore I have fairly good visibility. The problem will be holding the pulley in place to loosen the bolt (even if I had the engine out of the car). I can get the P9290, but it will take 3 weeks. I was hoping there was another option someone has found (since I doubt many have the P9290).

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:09 AM
964Babs
AutoX

Can you not put it in gear + handbrake to lock the crank? BIG Screwdriver through an access hole in the gearbox and pressed against a tooth in the ring gear?

With the engine out you can use a bar on the flywheel end locked against 2 temporary long flywheel bolts.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:46 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pulley removal

if your just going to remove to provide clearance to remove a/c bracket you can remove the 10 or so small bolts without disturbing the main center hub. just make sure you mark the pully to the hub so you can put it back on the same way. also there are shims and what not when it comes loose so pay attension to the way it comes apart. when you reinstall the small bolts i belive there is 10 or so, use locktite blue- medium strenght, do not use the red high strenghth.

to make life easier, get a piece of cardboard and number the bolts and poke holes in the cardboard and push the small bolts thru as you remove them so you can put them back the same way if you want it to be perfect. make sense, get the card board and draw a circle and if there are 10 bolts , poke 10 holes.

also when you remove the first bolt you can get a piece of string and run it thru the front of the pulley and tie a knot on the front and back side and this will be a foolproof method to keep the parts in the correct orientation.

i am not trying to insult you and to my detailed discription, some people say if you are to detailed its like talking to a 5 year old, but i say if you do not how the hell is anyone going to understand what you mean.

i have done this before and its easy. you need more help, just buzz me, i will give you my number. i live in columbia, sc
Old 01-09-2009, 07:47 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default removal

you do not have to drop the engine to do this
Old 01-10-2009, 12:17 AM
gecc
Advanced

the 9290

Last edited by gecc; 08-22-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Thanks dutchcrunch. That sounds like a good solution as I have read you do not want to put any force on the crank to loosen the bolt. Also I appreciate the ideas for getting back together correctly. I have a bad tendency to not be careful on the details of the removal and therefore sometimes run into problems on re-install. Therefore I will try what you have mentioned.

gecc - I tried to get the 9290. It is very steep cost ~ $200 and looking at 3+ weeks to get it brought in from Germany. No one seems to carry this anymore in the US.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Thanks Dutchcrunch. I took your advice on the 10 bolts and it worked perfectly. I tied a piece of old speaker wire through the first hole to keep everything lined up. I am thinking of grinding off the tabs on the ac bracket so that it will come off in the future without disturbing the crank pulley.

Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Les Dawes
Advanced

When I did my timing case work recently, with the engine in the car, I simply removed the long bolts that go thro' the alloy bracket. I then just slides clear. Regards, Les.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Les Dawes
When I did my timing case work recently, with the engine in the car, I simply removed the long bolts that go thro' the alloy bracket. I then just slides clear. Regards, Les.
Can you undo those bolts?! I thought they would be stuck like hell!
that was my plan to on an earlier job but I didn't dare to try in the end.

Did you just use a set of pliers or?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I ground the tabs off mine last time I had it off (~4years ago) so if it came time to "delete", it would be NO problem.

GUESS what time it is?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Les Dawes
Advanced

Thomas; I bought a set of stud extractors, the hextype with anti-clockwise internal flutes, and used these. There is not enough exposed thread to lock-nut them free. The extractors ruin the end of the studs, so I replaced mine with the same length high tensile studs, but with an internal hex socket in the end. Easy to remove in the future. Regards, Les.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 AM
user 783003
Banned

Originally Posted by Duck
Thanks Dutchcrunch. I took your advice on the 10 bolts and it worked perfectly. I tied a piece of old speaker wire through the first hole to keep everything lined up. I am thinking of grinding off the tabs on the ac bracket so that it will come off in the future without disturbing the crank pulley.

Thanks again.
Torque on the 10 hex bolts?

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley Removal