Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear reflector/tailight tint: testimonial

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 03:03 PM
user 783003
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May I ask why you went with green? It looks like they have the same bulb, but in white. I've taken several physic courses in my day, maybe green light through red tint works best?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

He's trying to get the light to shine orange through the red film, that's why he went green.

I'm not surprised the light looks dull w/ a green LED behind a orange lens and red film.

LEDs don't work like incandescent w/ the color wavelengths they emit, so you need to match the color of the LED to the color of the lens for the best light output.

Sorry, I know this doesn't help your situation here you need the indicators to shine orange.

Perhaps try a green incandescent bulb?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:54 PM
NateSaJack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say 'incandescent' is that a standard type bulb? I have mentioned before using lamp paint on a set of normal bulbs (i think they were Halfords Extra Bright), even with one coat the bulb was very dull, to the point of not being able to see in day light.

Thanks for the comment, I've updated my post re the LED's as they now make the indicators flash at double speed as though a bulb is blown.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Yes, when I say incandescent I mean the normal OEM bulbs. I'm not sure if that terminology is correct.

Yea, the faster flash is normal when using LED bulbs. I'm not sure if there's an easy solution to slow it down.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:11 PM
NateSaJack
Instructor

Chaps, I'm not over happy with the LED option, flash too quick as the car thinks sees a blown bulb and just not bright enough in the day time - I'm afraid someone's gonna rear end me!

Next is to try http://www.flyeyeskit.co.uk/shop/pro...?id_product=19 in Red, I'm hoping its a decent match for Gus's kit, if not I have enough coming to re-cover this centre panel as well.

I'll update when I have tried it out
Old 10-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Can you share what LED bulbs you are using? Not all bulbs put out the same light output. You're using a red bulb, correct?

Also, I've done some research since I last posted in this thread and you can update the flasher relay (located on the left side of the center console) to an LED-specific relay that will slow down the flash.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 PM
NateSaJack
Instructor

The LED's I tried are on a link at the bottom of page 11. They had very little markings, 11 4 or 5mm LED's which look clear but flash Green.

As our indicators / turn signals (is that right?) need to be amber I had taken advice that green bulbs through Gus's red vinyl would flash orange - which as you can see it does but I think the original lens + red vinyl is just to thick to let enough light through.

Interestingly the company selling the 'fly eye' vinyl picked up on my post already, and seems confident it'll do the job.

Last edited by NateSaJack; 10-01-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Error
Old 10-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

I have a good feeling that the bulb you're using is weak in design and output, regardless of what color it is or what housing you using and color of vinyl you put over it.

You need a bulb like this.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...led-tower/526/

I just picked up some of these in 1156 (third brake light and indicator bulb) and 1157 (tail/brake light bulb) and the light output is on par w/ a regular bulb. Remember, match the bulb color to the lens.

My advice would be to cutout a bit from the vinyl on the indicator area and get the above bulb in orange and you'll be satisfied. You can get creative w/ the area you're cutting out and make it look good and have it allow the OEM orange lens and orange LED behind it to shine through great.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 AM
Big Raff
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NateSaJack
The LED's I tried are on a link at the bottom of page 11. They had very little markings, 11 4 or 5mm LED's which look clear but flash Green.

As our indicators / turn signals (is that right?) need to be amber I had taken advice that green bulbs through Gus's red vinyl would flash orange - which as you can see it does but I think the original lens + red vinyl is just to thick to let enough light through.

Interestingly the company selling the 'fly eye' vinyl picked up on my post already, and seems confident it'll do the job.
Sorry for the thread resurrection, I am just having my MOT done today so i will be putting Gus's vinyl on at some point in the near future...I can sense that they wont pass an MOT so i have just decided to bite the bullet. Nate did you ever get the fly eye stuff? Does it work?

Cheers
Old 04-30-2013, 03:02 PM
NateSaJack
Instructor

Hi Raff,

Does fly eyes work...yes, let's light through and from a distance looks fine. But up close I think it looks odd. Too dull. I rate the company and product but its not right for me.

Thanks for resurrecting as I'd never seem Vandits post.

My options are too try the super bulbs and cut out as above, I did like Guss's kit and still have it on centre panel, or try a different vinyl like Jack.pe used, I think it's slightly thinner and doesn't dim the amber so much.

In the end it wasn't the MOT that worried me, more someone taking me out having not seem the signal...
Old 04-30-2013, 03:44 PM
james_marshall
Rennlist Member

Have you any photos of it on your car? I took a look at their website and it seems rather easy to apply etc, cost effective (...cheap).
When you say dull... Which colour did you go for?

I was quite excited when I saw their website... But now I'm not so sure!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:36 PM
NateSaJack
Instructor

First I got a dark red but it was too cherry. The guys there sent out a lighter red at no cost (at all) and that's what's on that car.

I'll take a pic tomorrow. I can't think of a better word, I don't mean boring just looks flat, Gus's kit and original lights have a slight sheen to them.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Guys, look at my thread and scroll down to where I discuss the taillights and vinyl application.

Look at my solution for the reverse lights. I'm sure you can achieve the same effect on the amber indicators by cutting a strip of vinyl out of the indicator area.

You can likely go a step further and put a strong (e.g. superbrightleds.com bulb) orange LED bulb (always match LED bulb color to lens color) behind it w/ an LED flasher module to stop the hyper blink.

https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=724399
Old 04-30-2013, 05:56 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Just to add my own experience: I recently got around to doing this with standard red vinyl from ebay/Hong Kong, kept my stock indicator bulbs and replaced my stop/tails with Ring 'rapid response' that are filament bulbs but meant to be a bit brighter and quicker to light.

The vinyl, as has been said before, is amazing at hiding the cracks and freshening up the whole tail's appearance. The indicators/turn signals light up just orange enough I think, I don't really care about the back-ups. And best bit is that it has passed MOT with my local garage, who are usually pretty strict...
Old 05-03-2013, 05:26 AM
NateSaJack
Instructor

Chaps, here the pic. Gus's rich sheen red on the centre panel and fly eyes on the light.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uep0jki0ex...%2004%2031.jpg

Quick Reply: Rear reflector/tailight tint: testimonial