Friday's folly

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:29 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Lightbulb Friday's folly

Hi. We're not in right now...

So, at the tone, leave your 964 weekend project description(s'), likelihood of completion,... and its likely beer count.

Thanks.

[beeeep]
Old 12-05-2008, 10:35 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 198 Posts

I have to finish painting the kitchen, but there's a possibility of sneaking in some garage downtime. Likely projects include checking the condition of the dizzy belt and possibly, if I end up having more time, replacing the dash. The one currently in the car has cracks, I bought a new (to me) one that's in good shape, so if I have enough time I may install it.

I'll also keep writing Santa letters for poster frames and gift certificates to Pelican Parts - those longer wheel studs I want are not going to come out of thin air!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:15 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what I'll do. I still need to look at my very small leak of either brake or power steering fluid. The car needs a bath but it's not supposed to hit above 20deg this weekend.

I need to reinstall speakers and secure the door panels back to oem, if I have time. I'll have a 2yr old attached at the hip, so we'll see if any of the above can be accomplished.

Thanks Lonnie for picking uo my slack. Just not much involved in my Porsche lately.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:30 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

After reading Jaime's threads on the Durametric, I'll pull out the Scantool and run a check, then "adapt" for the cold weather.

Then it's back inside to continue the room fix-ups, 1 down - 6 to go. I'll have frequent "breaks" 'cause wife just returned from hospital and is on constant O2 as she has Pneumonia!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smog check , maybe .
Old 12-05-2008, 01:03 PM
jim_l
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang i still have to clean the garage out so i get my car inside
Old 12-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Doubt I will get to do anything in the garage this weekend. I need to finish repainting a bedroom that my mom stays in when she visits. I have the first coat on but it needs a second. Mom's coming for a week at Christmas. If I do get a chance, I want to wash the cars and wax them.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I fixed the heater servo last night (again) and so I just cranked up the heater and dropped the top on the new C2...brilliant!

I will probably spend most of the weekend trying to troubleshoot the other car as it has been inoperable since Thanksgiving. Maybe you guys have an idea of where to look?

Coming home from a hike on Thanksgiving morning my ml320 lost power. In fact the gas pedal caused the car to slow down until I stopped at the side of the road. From idling I could move my foot off the brake pedal and move forward but could not use the gas pedal or the car would stop. I had to get the last mile home at around 5mph without using the accelerator.

The car now starts up fine and idles perfectly. If I let off the brake the car engages and moves forward just like always. However as soon as I use the gas pedal the power goes to nothing and if I continue to push the gas pedal then the car will shudder slightly and threaten to stall until I remove my foot and then all is well again. There are no codes showing up which makes this hard to diagnose. I thought it was the Mass Airflow Sensor as it has played up before so I stuck a new one in on Wednesday but to no avail. I am thinking fuel pump (fuel filter maybe?) crank sensor, cat converter...?

Anyway that probably 90% of my weekend plus I might give the grass a mow to tidy it up, even though its really stopped growing the last couple of weeks.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:44 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 198 Posts

Is your ML an older one? Does it have the drive-by-wire or is it electronic?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:50 PM
RSGulp
Racer

I'll be giving the RS a coat of wax on Saturday, then heading across to Donington Race Circuit on Sunday to meet a good turnout (hopefully) of UK 964 Rennlisters.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
Is your ML an older one? Does it have the drive-by-wire or is it electronic?
Yeah Ilko its a 2000. It still uses actual wire for the throttle etc and hydraulics. as opposed to being all electronic like some of the newer cars. I think thats what your asking me right? Manually opening the throttle from the engine bay has the same effect so I think the throttle sensor and mechanism are all ok (I changed the throttle sensor last year). I just wish it would spit out some codes!
Old 12-05-2008, 04:22 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk911
Not sure what I'll do. I still need to look at my very small leak of either brake or power steering fluid. The car needs a bath but it's not supposed to hit above 20deg this weekend.

I need to reinstall speakers and secure the door panels back to oem, if I have time. I'll have a 2yr old attached at the hip, so we'll see if any of the above can be accomplished.

Thanks Lonnie for picking uo my slack. Just not much involved in my Porsche lately.
Where you been hiding Geof
My weekend project is to go out and do some bushogging on my tractor then take a kayak trip up the river that goes thru my property then thru the swamp. Its going to be near 80 tomorrow
Old 12-05-2008, 04:42 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finishing up packing up for a weekend at TWS. I'm about ready to go, but I'll leave later tonight after my daughter performs in her school's Christmas show. She's a reindeer this year.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Just finishing up packing up for a weekend at TWS. I'm about ready to go, but I'll leave later tonight after my daughter performs in her school's Christmas show. She's a reindeer this year.
Good for you on both activities Steve! She has a key part....I think I usually got to be a tree.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

There was a good post earlier about how to activate your cabrio top with the vehicle running (but parked). I didn't even recognize that this was a problem until it was posted here. Now that I consider it, I would like to be able to activate my top without having to turn off the car. My weekend project will now be to try this project. Being relatively new to this forum I am finding that any $ that I am saving by accessing the DIY sections are quickly being offset by the costs of discovering more and more things that I hadn't previously considered and desiring them. Not complaining. Just enjoying the fresh ideas and help.

Quick Reply: Friday's folly