Time to introduce the NEW 964

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:59 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

What a great story. Thank you for sharing. Glad everyone was able to walk out of that accident.

The new car looks amazing, even if you do not have the right wheels on it.

Enjoy it in good health with the family.

And you should post a few interior shots.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Great stuff! Congrats. Restores my faith in humanity.

I'd love to hear your impressions on the tip sometime.

Cheers
Old 12-03-2008, 09:57 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Great story. There ARE good guys out there. And, Bad Guys who wreck our cars. Glad that you and your kids are OK - that is what really matters.
Hate to see a C4 bite the dust. Hopefully it has either been rebuilt, or parted out to save another 964.
I am happy to see that the car could take a big hit and protect the people inside. I would like to see a survey of sorts on 964 wrecks and how the occupants fared, compared to other brands and models.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:10 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story, Howard. I'm glad everyone is ok. Your new car looks fantastic!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 AM
cmass
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the recent doom and gloom it is refreshing to hear some happy endings. Fantastic story, thanks for sharing it
Old 12-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, what a lot of replies. Thanks guys for the kind words!

I think the wheels look perfect on the car as well. I couldn't wait to lower the C4, put new wheels on her, clear lenses etc, etc. However, this car feels like its been in a bubble and I decided almost immediately that I want to keep it totally stock right down to the suv ride height.

Rob -- when I said goodbye to the C4 I had a moment of panic waiting for the towtruck and started thinking of all the things I could maybe 'salvage'. I did actually look for the old gaitor (nothing to do with crocodiles) given that the 'sharpei' style one had been a tiny piece of rennlist folklore at one point. Now, sadly, people will think it was only a myth. Perhaps you could run a story on your 'Icons' page?!

How do I like the tip? Well, to be honest, its not nearly as much fun as the manual imo and the car in general 'feels' slower and less racy. But for me its a series of trade-offs. The C4 felt like a race car to me, it was lower, louder and fairly rough around the edges. This car is simply beautiful (although I miss the coupe lines) and honestly is still plenty fast enough! The interior is almost flawless and it has the upgraded leather seats, trip-computer, working A/C, airbags etc. I also love convertibles and although I find myself driving it a tad slower, and treating it more like an expensive saloon than a fast sportscar, its so exhilarating with the top dropped that its another trade-off. The car is beautiful, practical and can provide some thrills when I'm in the mood. Its a double edged sword that the wife can drive it too, however it was a life-saver last weekend when the MAF failed in her car and I didn't have to drive her around the Thanksgiving sales! Ultimately I suppose its simply a case of 'the right tool for the right job' as opposed to one being 'better' than the other.

Interior pics? I can take some more but these are what I have on hand:

Thanks again, its odd how the car actually felt more like mine this morning after leaving this thread last night!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:32 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for sharing your story, I always like the one's with a happy ending.

I sometimes miss my Amazon green 964. I really liked the color, and car.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Oh come on! It would still be original if you get a set of original cups. That car would look amazing with original cup wheels.

Ok, ok, I will not make another comment on mods. It is a beautiful car and there is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping it original.

Here is to many happy and safe miles!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:45 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Great story, I want to buy that Fire Chief a beer or five.

Obviously glad that you and the kids were fine and that they caught the perp, but that said I have to say that your new car is simply stunning. Great colour combination - which admittedly is not to everyone's taste but it really appeals to my sense of having something really different. It's a peach.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:53 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With regard to the wheels on your new baby, IIRC they are forged and of the same basic design as the CS alloys that came as standard on the '88 944 Turbo S/SE and optioned on the 928. Very light yet strong. They were also options on the early 964 and I have a poster and brochure of a 964 with those very wheels, though they have the annodised finnish. I think in the Optional Extras catalogues they are refered to as Winter wheels; though I don't know why. I will have too see if I can find the pictures and brochures in my heap of Porsche stuff.

Anyhow, you now have wheels that are lighter/stronger than cups, therefore your car is more sporty
Old 12-03-2008, 12:55 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Now you can be like Hank Moody in Californication
Old 12-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Glad you and your kids are okay. Stories like this restore some faith in the human race. Nice guy the fireman. The new car looks fantastic. I too, generally dont like chrome but I love those type of wheels on a 964 and the chrome looks good too.

Enjoy the car in good health and thank goodness no one was seriously hurt. Hope they dump the jaggoff in jail who hit you.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:44 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Now you can be like Hank Moody in Californication

Ever fast to drag a beautiful thread right into the gutter, eh, Ilk?

(Well, just shove me aside if I'm in the way when ya get there...)

"Hank" Kahdmus. Heh.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:46 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Hey I posted some nice things on p. 1. But the photos by the ocean really got me thinking...
Old 12-03-2008, 02:15 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some more on the PO...

Its rare in life, for me anyway, that I genuinely get a lump in my throat. In fact, especially in times of stress or crisis, I actually find I am less emotional and am able to deal fairly well with whatever life throws at me. To the contrary, its usually afterwards, when things have cooled and adrenaline has slowed, that I become emotional, upset, annoyed, melancholy or whatever.

However, on the day the C4 got hit I was already feeling pretty ****ty due to a confluence of factors: A new job I thought I was about to start fell through, my mum had just returned to England after a three month stay and we were all missing her, my bank account was feeling a huge strain, etc, etc. There I was sitting still in traffic just pondering stuff in my mind, I went into gear started pulling forward and WHAM there's a truck coming straight at me! At first I though we had got out of the way but no...BAM, right into the side of the car! Just my sodding luck and a real comment on the way life was going.

Once the car had stopped, seeing my kids stunned into silence was probably the most shocking thing. They actually didn't seem to know if they were hurt or not and with me shrieking at them to tell me if they were ok they just sat quite quiet with their mouths agape. There was a calm, quiet bubble in the car while I talked to them and made sure they were ok. Then I opened the door and there was just a rush of noise and people talking. Total bedlam! In fact while all this noise was going on the driver of the other car was able to quickly made his escape on foot. The cops just made things worse with their attitude and they obviously felt that the paramedics, firemen, and seemingly even my kids, should take a backseat to their questioning. I was surrounded by people and cut-off from my kids. I was trying to dial my wife while they were all talking but I couldn't seem to get the phone to work (like an idiot I hadn't taken the number lock off).

When the fire battalion commander (to give him his proper title) arrived it was like order and calm just descended on the scene. He told the cops to wait, clapped me on the back and led me away from the chaos leaving the police to interview some witnesses. I felt my first rush of gratitude towards this guy.

Some time later I had to go and spend time talking to the cops and had to drive with them to go and identify the driver of the truck that had hit us. The fire chief stayed and looked after my kids.

When I got back he was crouched on the ground and my kids were gathered around him seemingly over their shock and chatting merrily away, what a relief! Another huge wave of gratitude and another lump in the throat!

I initially called him the following week to simply say 'thank you' but obviously being a car guy I couldn't help bringing up the topic of his Porsche. Within minutes it was agreed that I would come and pick up the car from the firehouse in a few days time and take it for a test drive.

When I went to 'test-drive' the car I found that its gracious owner had been dragged into a meeting (those horrendous 2008 Northern Califonia fires had just started). Disappointed, I was about to leave, however he had left word that the keys were actually in the car and I was simply to take it and bring it back at the end of the week. It felt very odd just getting in and driving off without a word. I was very grateful nevertheless.

As I said above I ended up taking the car again a couple of weeks after I had initially returned it. Over the following months I called to say the car was ok and apologize that I did not yet have my settlement and couldn't stretch to pay for the car out of pocket. Each time I was told 'not to worry', 'it didn't matter', 'just enjoy it' and I was asked if the kids were ok etc. In fact The fire chief seemed a tad embarrassed that I would even apologize. I was amazed by his attitude each time I called and was simply bowled over by his class and by his kindness. My wife continually would ask me if 'I had spoken to him' and 'if I was sure it was ok?' She acted as if she thought I had stolen it or something!

When I was ready to buy the car its owner knowingly took far, far less in payment than it was worth (and he knew full well what its value was). I got the impression that his wife apparently raised questions about his sanity, however his reasoning was that it would go to a good home and would continue to be loved, cherished and thoroughly enjoyed. He told me that I was the right person to own it and he could live with that. Another lump in the throat.

One day I will hopefully get to repay the kindness. Meanwhile, when Randy Leffingwell finishes up his book projects that feature the car, I will ask him to have my signed copies sent to the cars previous owner as I think he would be quite proud.

EDIT: Also meant to add that when I went to pick my kids up from school just yesterday, there was a fire engine and the chiefs truck outside in the parking lot. When my kids came out they told me that their favourite fireman had just conducted their assembly...

Last edited by Kahdmus; 12-03-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Time to introduce the NEW 964