Time to introduce the NEW 964

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elbeee964

Ever fast to drag a beautiful thread right into the gutter, eh, Ilk?

(Well, just shove me aside if I'm in the way when ya get there...)

"Hank" Kahdmus. Heh.
I started watching that show before my car got hit. My wife had wanted to watch it and I had said no until I learned it had a 964 in it. When the first episode started with a shot of Hanks black cab she let out an almighty roar, "KNOW I KNOW WHY YOU SAID YOU WOULD WATCH WITH ME!!" ...True story.

Funnily enough it has now become one of my favourite shows (and I HATE TV!)

Originally Posted by Trader220
Glad you and your kids are okay. Stories like this restore some faith in the human race. Nice guy the fireman. The new car looks fantastic. I too, generally dont like chrome but I love those type of wheels on a 964 and the chrome looks good too.

Enjoy the car in good health and thank goodness no one was seriously hurt. Hope they dump the jaggoff in jail who hit you.
My understanding is that the proverbial jaggoff did in fact go to jail. What's weird is that I thought I wanted to kill him, as after all, thats what he almost did to my kids and definitely did to my beloved C4. However when I went to ID him, he was being manhandled by the cops and he looked like he was only about 19 or so....I actually felt incredibly sorry for him. Funny old world.

Originally Posted by meek
With regard to the wheels on your new baby, IIRC they are forged and of the same basic design as the CS alloys that came as standard on the '88 944 Turbo S/SE and optioned on the 928. Very light yet strong. They were also options on the early 964 and I have a poster and brochure of a 964 with those very wheels, though they have the annodised finnish. I think in the Optional Extras catalogues they are refered to as Winter wheels; though I don't know why. I will have too see if I can find the pictures and brochures in my heap of Porsche stuff.

Anyhow, you now have wheels that are lighter/stronger than cups, therefore your car is more sporty
Thanks so much Adam. Agreed and I would definitely appreciate pictures!

In fact I really appreciate the info alone as I had wondered whether they were a factory option or not. I presumed they were and obviously hoped they were too.

Colin -- thanks I agree entirely!

Christer -- thanks mate! But don't even suggest I take this car on the beach!

Jaime -- behave!

Lonnie -- thanks for PM! Please let me in on your secret and I'll be sure to have a sparkling tailpipe in no time (why does that sound so dubious?)
Old 12-03-2008, 02:50 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Howard...

Haven't had time to read all this yet (Rob just pointed me at it), but thank God you're all okay.

Your one simple act of kindness, several years ago, made such a difference to Paula and I - I hope that one day I will have the opportunity to repay it. But not just yet, if you don't mind. I'm happy to wait a while...
Old 12-03-2008, 03:12 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Jaime -- behave!

(-- Good luck with That!)

Polishing w/ common hand tools. (Taking the tip off the car makes this much easier/accomodating.)

And I *definitely* wanna see some more 3/4 tail shots once polishing gets tackled. The eyeball-reward to effort ratio can't be overstated. (you'll see...)
Old 12-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
Howard...

Haven't had time to read all this yet (Rob just pointed me at it), but thank God you're all okay.

Your one simple act of kindness, several years ago, made such a difference to Paula and I - I hope that one day I will have the opportunity to repay it. But not just yet, if you don't mind. I'm happy to wait a while...
Thanks JB, you and Paula are special people. I just hope I get to meet you guys one day when I'm over!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elbeee964

(-- Good luck with That!)

Polishing w/ common hand tools. (Taking the tip off the car makes this much easier/accomodating.)

And I *definitely* wanna see some more 3/4 tail shots once polishing gets tackled. The eyeball-reward to effort ratio can't be overstated. (you'll see...)
Lonnie, thanks I tagged it! I actually have everything I need already I think!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:20 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Question

What's this fireman's name? (for if someone were to send an unsolicited email, say...)

Edit: ...yeah, 'Vanos -- I guess you're right.
[SNL's E.Litela: "never mind"].

Last edited by elbeee964; 12-03-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:36 PM
dblvanos
Rennlist Member

I think as long as you pay it forward the fire chief will be eternally happy.

Great story, good to see good things happen.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

Terrific story and very inspirational. Good people doing good things can make a huge difference. Please pass on my admiration to the fire commander. He's a good man. Best of luck with your new ride. Enjoy the miles. I'm sure you will.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:26 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Firstly, sorry to hear of your accident, and I am very glad you and your family are safe.

What a great story.

It's clear that your guardian angel is a porsche enthusiast !!

I hope you get the opportunity to stop by the fire house now and again to show him what great care you are taking take of the car, and also for you to 'pay it forward'.

Cheers

Phil
Old 12-03-2008, 05:43 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

A bad story turns out great- first of all thank god you and your kids are OK. Second of all, think of the positive lessons you kids learned (or any of us reading this story for that matter)- not that you would want them to learn something like this in this fashion, but they learned about how there is good in this world. Additionally, that car you have now has very special meaning and sentimental value to your kids. No it's not the racer the 5-speed C4 coupe was, but heck it's a convertible - the kids must love it with the top down! Something tells me you will get a racer coupe someday soon, and will be a two 964 family. Given the chain of events I would have purchased that car like you, tip and all.

I thought the same thing about the rims, except my first thoughts were early chrome hubcap 911, but of course the rims also remind me of the 356 cab now that people mention it.

Good luck and glad you and the family are OK!
-Andrew
Old 12-03-2008, 06:53 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow! What a great story. I'm glad that you're all okay and congrats on the new beauty!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:50 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad everyone is ok. And WOW, what an amazing story! I was rivited reading it just now. (been out of town all week) Enjoy the new cab, it looks truly wonderful.
( I wish I could take my car for a drive right now.... )
Bill
Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

What a great story...Cheers to the fire chief !
Sounds like a "Pay it forward" moment.
Your children should now know what a HERO is!
Dwane
Old 12-03-2008, 11:01 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Howard, I have a lump in my throat too after reading all of your story.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:08 AM
pengole
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Terrific story and very inspirational. Good people doing good things can make a huge difference. Please pass on my admiration to the fire commander. He's a good man. Best of luck with your new ride. Enjoy the miles. I'm sure you will.
+1

Quick Reply: Time to introduce the NEW 964