Groaning and grinding

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 AM
ScottR
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Groaning and grinding

No, not me but the car!

Over the last few weeks, a groaning and grinding sound has developed, which I think I have worked out to be related to the power steering:
  • Groaning pitch changes with engine revs, whether stationary or moving
  • Grinding sound worse when on full lock
  • Wiggling the steering wheel makes the groaning/grinding change pitch/volume
  • Pretty much disappears when travelling in straight line

What's the verdict Doc?

I checked my power steering fluid reservoir and it looks like it's about half full. Unfortunately my little yellow min/max sticker seems to be upside down, suggesting it's been re-stuck on at some point, so I don't know where the min/max marks should be.

Would low hydraulic fluid causes these symptoms?

Can I just top up or do I need to drain and re-fill? Is draining easy?

Cheers
Scott
Old 11-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If the noise you are hearing is not a loose belt, then yes, sounds like power steering issues. Check the front steering rack for leaks (easy visual inspection). Check the fluid level again, hard to see well if the canister has aged... also check the two hoses and make sure those are in good condition.

You need to rule out a loose belt in the steering pump as well, but getting to the power steering pump and the belt... well, that is just a bit more complicated.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:38 PM
ScottR
Racer

OK, thanks.

So where should the fluid level be up to as my min/max sticker is upside down! And I guess my cannister has aged as it's not possible to see through it - so it's a rough guess by looking through the top.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:41 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine leaks and when it gets 1/2 way down it makes noise. The fill line is only 1/4" or so between min and max. You can see 2 raised rings on the bottle and the full is the top ring. This is a bad photo but hopefully it helps.
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2008, 10:23 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The groaning might be 'cavitating' in the pump. It might be running dry, and when the fluid gets air in it, the noise level goes up a lot. The min/max should be the lines on the bottle. You state that you can't see through your tank? It might be that your fluid is really bad. How long has it been since a change?

I suggest you try to do a wet-replacement of the fluids. Get some DEXTRON 3 at your FAPS, (friendly auto parts store).... and a turkey baster. With the car off, suck out as much of the old stuff as you can out of that reservoir, and discard it. Then refill to the top level with the new DEX3. Then start the car, and gently turn lock to lock once or twice, then shut the car off. Suck out the resulting mixture, refill etc. Repeat this until the fluid looks consistently new. DON'T let the pump go dry, and look for bubbles in the tank. If you see them, give it a little time to settle.

This worked for me to quiet down the pump, but I can tell you that it was only a little bit of time before my rack failed anyway.

If you are doing an under-car inspection, check the rack boots, as if they are at all cracked or broken, you might be looking at a new rack soon. (BTW the new one has made a fantastic difference in how my car feels)

Good luck!
Old 11-27-2008, 09:49 AM
ScottR
Racer

Cheers for pic Jim - my sticker is actually where yours is, just that mine's upside down so I didn't trust if it was in the right place, so that helps a lot.

Cool, thanks for advice tbennett. I will try the turkey baster trick. I've had the card for almost two years and not had the fluid changed - not sure how often it should be changed? Unless my garage did it as part of the service.

The fluid looks pretty dark but I don't know what fresh fluid looks like.

I'll grab some Dextron from my APS (they're not that friendly around here!).

Cheers
Scott
Old 11-27-2008, 10:04 AM
ScottR
Racer

Dextron or Dexron - I can find both!
Old 11-27-2008, 04:19 PM
ScottR
Racer

Smile Cured!

Topped up with Dexron II and the groaning and grinding went straight away!

Plus, my APS was actualy an FAPS after all!! They even lent me a pipette to draw off the excess fluid where I topped it up too much 'cus it was dark!!

I guess I have a leak somewhere for it to have got so low in the first palce, which I now need to find but at least the noise has gone away!

Cheers all
Scott
Old 11-28-2008, 08:45 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

check the clamps on the short hose at the bottom of the reservoir. I had a leak there but finally had to replace the hose as it was seeping fluid out. Now it just leaks up front

Quick Reply: Groaning and grinding