Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension recommendation for early 964 C2/street?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 02:47 AM
stinkydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension recommendation for early 964 C2/street?

Car is a 1990 C2, with original factory suspension (and original 16 inch D-90 wheels). Handling is still decent, although it seems like the front end is getting a little 'bouncy' ... it doesn't bottom out or become harsh on the bumps - the ride is good; just feels like the front end might want to take off once in a while.

I'd like to think about new springs & dampers, with the following parameters:

- 100% street, no track. The car isn't quite a daily driver, but isn't a weekend garage queen either.
- I'd like to lower the car about an inch or so (to Euro 964 ride height). Maybe 2 inches at the most. I live in a mountainous area with a steep driveway and somewhat bad pavement... can't get too low
- A little firmer ride would be ok, but not a whole lot more.
- My budget is around $1100 for the parts (not including balancing/alignment).
- It's an early 964, so choices are a little more limited.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:19 AM
carby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a 90 C2 a few months ago and the first thing I did was replace the tired Boges with Billy HDs and Eibach Prokit springs. I made this decision based on the wisdom of numerous threads you will find with help of the search function.

If you go for the Bilsteins be sure to specify year when you order them as the rear mounts changed around this time. I've found the mod (measured with my finely tuned Pants'o'meter) like turning the clock back to what the car probably felt like when new (albeit a smidge lower).

Plenty of compliance, thumps to the bump stop disappeared and the handling sharpened up beyond belief (thanks to the proper geo).

Any 20yr old needs a new set of legs sooner or later.

Last edited by carby; 11-27-2008 at 05:21 AM. Reason: cant schpell fur biscuits
Old 11-27-2008, 09:18 AM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a set of stock Boge shocks that are still in the box. It will definatly help keep you under your budget. PM if your interested and I will email you pics.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:57 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I replaced the original shocks on my 92, and kept the original springs. Ride height was set at the lower limit of the stock tolerance. No complaints about the ride/handling trade-off. If I were even half an inch lower I would have chin damage. As it is I have scratched the chin a couple of times, but never bent it.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Greg964
Pro

I went with Bilstein HDs and H&R red (turbo) springs. Very happy with this setup. Sharpened things up immensely, with a firmer but still very tolerable ride. If you are concerned about the ride you could go H&R green or Eibach.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Greg964
Pro

...and when the budget permits, some 17" Cup I or II wheels/tires make a huge dynamic and aesthetic difference.

Quick Reply: Suspension recommendation for early 964 C2/street?