Sponsored by:

Water in rear footwell

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 03:46 PM
harry964
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in rear footwell

Seems I have a bit of a water leak.... but its rather odd as I can only find water in the rear footwell soundproofing behind the passenger seat (RHD) and in the gap between the back rest and seat of the rear seat. It seems that it has tracked fwd to the front passenger footwell too, but nowhere else in the car is damp including the carpet stuck to the sills and area between the end of the rear seat and the floor of the car. It is almost like the water is coming up through the bottom of the car (All other bits of trim are dry and there are no drips apparent).

Anyone got any suggestions?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Harry,

The rear footwells are natural low points so if you have water in the car, it will appear there. I would first remove the carpets and let them dry out. Then using a water hose, spray parts of the car to see where the water may be coming in. The likely candidates are the windshield seal, the door/window seals, sunroof drain tubes and the fresh air plenum drain tubes. In my case, I had old weather seals around the doors and also clogged fresh air plenum drains.

See
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=wet+feet
+
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=seal

Good luck on the repair
Old 11-23-2008, 08:44 AM
ChrisWhittle
Track Day

Almost certainly it's your rear side window which is leaking.

The water runs down the inside of the shell of the car under the carpet and is soaked up from beneath --- until it shows !

In my RS when it rained heavily, the carpet mat used to float on the water which on one occasion was almost 1" deep !

It's much easier to dry up in a RS. But it also tracks forward in normal braking to the front footwells.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:20 PM
harry964
5th Gear

Spent the afternoon taking apart the rear parcel shelf and can confirm that it is the rear, passenger side sunroof drain. I checked with water and although water can pass through, quite a lot is getting into the car it self. The question is now what to do to fix? Is it just a question of unblocking? My concern is that there must be some kind of leak in the drain pipe/hose for the water to get in no?

Any advice or tips on how to unblock greatfully recieved!
Old 11-23-2008, 01:44 PM
a964man
Instructor

harry964, I have the same problem, water ingress to the rear and front of car, where does the water come into your car, from the sunroof drain tubes? any pictures?

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited by a964man; 02-14-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:48 PM
ChrisWhittle
Track Day

Well maybe not the rear window then !

My car doesn't have a sunroof !!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:27 PM
cbwayo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem back in September after some torrential rain. I was stuck driving home on the highway, flipped the defroster on, and it started spitting water at me through the vents! Once I got home, I also noticed that there was water in the rear footwell that was soaking through the carpet.

I was initially concerned because I got a new windshield put in the week before, but I took it to the shop, they determined it was because the front drain was clogged. The clog was easy to fix, but there was some labor involved to get to the rear blower motor to drain the water that was squirting at me.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:32 PM
cbwayo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem back in September after some torrential rain. I was stuck driving home on the highway, flipped the defroster on, and it started spitting water at me through the vents! Once I got home, I also noticed that there was water in the rear footwell that was soaking through the carpet.

I was initially concerned because I got a new windshield put in the week before, but I took it to the shop, they determined it was because the front drain was clogged. The clog was easy to fix, but there was some labor involved to get to the rear blower motor to drain the water that was squirting at me.

Quick Reply: Water in rear footwell