Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Rack Replacement... any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:56 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Steering Rack Replacement... any tips?

I am preparing to replace the steering rack in my 964 C4. I have the parts on the way, and while I am at it, (better sit down, mr. wallet...) I will be doing the rest of the steering components too... tie rods, inners and outers, fork joints (the ones between the rack and the inner tie rods) boots and just to make it a big job, the ball joints too. After 180K, its probably time, and the steering no longer centers up, and it creaks and groans a lot. Ugh. The car is really not fun to drive, and is probably lethal.

I am in the dark however on how the rack comes out. I see the mounting brackets, and how they'd come off.. but at that point, does the rack drop down to access the hydraulic connections? Does one drop one end then the other to get it out? I hope I don't have to disturb the A arms at all...

Anyone have a DIY on hand for that?

TIA.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:18 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced mine a few months ago. The workshop manual covers it pretty well.
1.Separate the universal joint above the brake/clutch pedal.(you can re-use the pinch bolt)
2.Press out the ball joint and remove the left & right tie rod.
3.Undo the Power Steering feed & return line to the rack.
4.Remove the 4 Allen bolts holding the rack in.
5.You must extend the rack fully to one side to get the other side to clear. Remove one side, extend the other way and remove the other side.

A couple of things. Make sure your steering wheel is centered before you start. When you re-assemble,
you may have to move a spline or two one way or the other to get the steering wheel exactly centered.
Also, that spline joint has been together for many years, and my be difficult to separate.Keep at it. Use penetrating lube and keep working it up and down. Possibly a slide hammer will help.

Make sure you order new the OEM rack bolts. They are a special grade.Go slow when removing them.
You don't want to strip the Allen heads.
Get new rack boots.
I was able to get by without an alignment by taking very accurate measurements. In your case, seems like you will need an alignment.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:12 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I've removed my several times du to leaks and finally replacing it with a manual rack. I used the DIY-guide on www.p-car.com. Worked very well.

Quick Reply: Steering Rack Replacement... any tips?