Sponsored by:

Perlon interior redux: son of LA RS wannabe

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:25 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta love that factory glue !

I havent found any solvent that really works well removing it. I found gasoline of all things sorta worked, but not even that great.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:45 AM
mpeters951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ag02M5:

For the rear deck with its' wiring and irregular surface, I used an automotive underlayment felt material that is ultra lightweight and ~ 1/2" thick. I found the material at an auto interior resto shop. I used that material in the places where, like the under console area, you need to "build up". In that under console area and the rear deck area I cut pieces and glued them into the recessed areas to build them up such that the Perlon then would lie flat over the underlayment material. From inside the car looking back, the center obviously needs to be built up because of the recess and the left side needs to compensate for the big honkin' wiring bundle routed there. I can't seem to recall the right side issues, if any. But, when looking at the inside body structure below the rear window when all foam is binned, it's easy to understand where to build up but material and approach to compensating for the irregularities/recesses is personal I suppose.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
Isn't it a nice feeling when you start to glue in the new pieces?! When everything was out of my car i thought "what have I done..." But when the new carpet set got in there piece by piece the smile on my face just got bigger and bigger!

Wachuko: I have photos, step-by-step that I've e-mailed to a bunch of guys here. Just let me know if I can help out!
ThomasC2, I must have missed your post. Please do send me the photos. I have the new carpet set and looking for photos of the process before I do this. Thank you.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Thomas's photos are very helpful.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:42 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Great Looking Car...Well Done.

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Want to learn more about us? Click here...

Old 04-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

ThomasC2 sent me these photos back in Jan and I simply forgot to follow up on uploading them to this thread... sorry Thomas

Here you go (comments/instructions by ThomasC2):

Pic of every piece of the carpet set. Just do it in the same order and you’ll be fine.

Start on the tunnel with the big piece. It’s easier if you cut in half instead of trying to fold it over the tunnel.

On the tunnel I also used a 10 mm padding to narrow the gap between the centre console and the carpet, see pic 18.

The stock padding is so thick here so it will give you a big gap if you don’t do something.

Always match the part you want to glue with the following one so you are sure there is an over lap, in some places it is a bit tight.

In the corners you can cut slots in the carpet to bend it and you can also stretch it slightly.

I used the spray glue from 3M (think the part no is 8080) on most parts. It doesn’t stick at once so you can move around the parts if you need to.

In some corners or on smaller parts I used a stronger “contact glue”.

In the rear shelf you also have to use a thicker padding to even it out, but you’ll see where. Another tip is also to use a piece of 10 mm padding on the rear wheel housings. The carpet pieces here has a seam and this will fold more nicely if you use some padding beneath it.

The vinyl strips on some pieces are meant to be glued and folded backwards.

If you to a miss somewhere, the carpet don’t cover something etc, the carpet is pretty forgiving. Just cut a piece and glue it in there to cover the hole. It will look alright.

So follow the pics, take your time and think twice….and you’ll be just fine!

Last edited by Wachuko; 04-01-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

More:

The folks of the 964 forum in Rennlist are great or what!? Thank you again ThomasC2 for the write up and photos. And apologies it took sooooooo long to update with what you sent me back in January.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

Great job mate, yet another interior i am very envious of ! cant wait to get the same done to mine eventually.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:15 PM
hatchimon
Track Day

wow that looks great! I really cant wait to get mine...
Old 04-01-2009, 02:09 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

"ThomasC2 sent me these photos back in Jan and I simply forgot to follow up on uploading them to this thread... sorry Thomas "

No problem Jamie, but I wondered what took you so long ;-)

I'm just happy if these pics can help people with the appbiz carpet quizz!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
"ThomasC2 sent me these photos back in Jan and I simply forgot to follow up on uploading them to this thread... sorry Thomas "

No problem Jamie, but I wondered what took you so long ;-)

I'm just happy if these pics can help people with the appbiz carpet quizz!
Dog ate my email?

Old 04-01-2009, 05:28 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pete000
Gotta love that factory glue !

I havent found any solvent that really works well removing it. I found gasoline of all things sorta worked, but not even that great.
I've heard you dump a bunch of lighter fluid in there, let it soak for a bit then the carpet pulls right up....obviously, no smoking during this process. I personally did it the hard way, in the dead of winter (SoCal winter so 50's)...it was the worst part of the whole project. What a PITA.....that glue is monster stuff....
Old 12-23-2012, 08:41 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Digging up this old thread because I'll soon be embarking on he RS carpet install. This thread has almost everything I need to know (thanks Wachuko and ThomasC2) are there is also good info in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...r-install.html

And Appbiz's own guide which is for an early 911:

http://www.original911.com/docs/rs_carpet_guide.pdf

However, the question I have for those of you have done the install, is what sort of padding should I be looking for to use around the centre console and rear shelf? Most of the self adhesive car sound proofing material I've found seems to be bitumen based and too thin to use as a padding.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Airplane padding...closed cell foam. Let me find the thread where I saw it used.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Airplane padding...closed cell foam. Let me find the thread where I saw it used.
Thanks. Something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/self-adhes...-/300658199671

Quick Reply: Perlon interior redux: son of LA RS wannabe