Sponsored by:

964 conversion @ Ruf Dallas

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 02:35 PM
F1Fan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 964 conversion @ Ruf Dallas

Any one here know anything about this particular car?

http://www.ecarlist.com/cgi-bin/show...86057&d_id=947

Given that it isn't a "real" Ruf (still has Porsche VIN) and is missing a few items (Ruf suspension, no brake upgrade mentioned, pre-EVO engine, stock seats) are there reasons not to look it this as just a '91 964 with some nice mods?

Thoughts?
Old 11-05-2008, 03:25 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

a "semi-copy" can be a really good buy. But the value is always decieded by the next owner. The real thing always has a real price tag. But if you like, buy it. It's your car!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

That real money. But if thats the car you want . . . go ahead and do the patriotic thing- stimulate the economy.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:16 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F1Fan
Given that it isn't a "real" Ruf (still has Porsche VIN) and is missing a few items (Ruf suspension, no brake upgrade mentioned, pre-EVO engine, stock seats) are there reasons not to look it this as just a '91 964 with some nice mods?
RUF would maintain that if it has one of their motors it's "real". It's really not missing anything; building a RUF has always been a matter of personal taste. Some just have more RUF bits than others. And having a Porsche VIN makes it a whole lot easier to get it registered in the US.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:06 PM
F1Fan
Intermediate

Thank you for the replies thus far.

What I'm trying to get a better feel for is an accurate valuation range for this car. I fully realize that how this car is optioned is matter of personal taste but what sort of a premium should this car command over say a similar clean, low mileage '91 964?
Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 PM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies thus far.

What I'm trying to get a better feel for is an accurate valuation range for this car. I fully realize that how this car is optioned is matter of personal taste but what sort of a premium should this car command over say a similar clean, low mileage '91 964?
Well, I think that your question is like comparing apples to oranges. I mean that a clean 91' 964 if very nice may trade anywhere up to around 27,000+. So comparing it to a heavily modified turbo car is a bit unfair. Ruf's will always have a cache about them and that comes with a premium. Now if compared to a nice 91' turbo then it may be a little more fair. But again the Ruf (regardless oof who's vin# is on it) will comand a premium. I have casually noticed 91' turbo cars going around the 35,000+ neighborhood. So I have to ask myself is it worth double? Hard to say since they are really different kinds of cars. Widebody vs narrow, Ruf engine vs Porsche OEM, Ruf Brakes vs factory turbo brakes, Ruf suspension vs factory turbo suspension, etc.
But as previously stated it is your money and if this car hits you in all the right places then do it and you likely won't regret it. It may be a tough re-sell down the road considering its cost now and its age but who knows. If you do jump in you'll be enjoying an awesome car. I only wish I had your choices to make too, how fun it would be. Best of Luck with the decision.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Car doesn't seem to have full leather like described....
Old 11-06-2008, 12:54 PM
F1Fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bb993tt
RUF would maintain that if it has one of their motors it's "real".
Interestingly enough, Ruf (on their website) segregate the pre-owned cars based on VIN and this car is categorized as a Porsche and not a Ruf.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:04 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interestingly enough, Ruf (on their website) segregate the pre-owned cars based on VIN and this car is categorized as a Porsche and not a Ruf.
They do the same thing on their German site, for the obvious VIN reason. But having a discussion with them will elicit a very different response. But if you can't get comfortable with this then pass on the car. The RUF-VIN cars will always command an even higher premium than conversions because there were so far fewer of them ever made.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

What do you guys think the car would be worth if it was a true RUF? Just curious...
Old 11-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 830 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990-964
I have casually noticed 91' turbo cars going around the 35,000+ neighborhood. So I have to ask myself is it worth double?
That's a good way of looking at it and I don't think this car is worth anywhere near $70k+. You can get a nice 964 RSA for about $40k and a 3.3 turbo for aabout $45k so if you are really into the "RUF thing" the car should be worth only a little bit more than that. Both cars (RSA and 964 turbo) have a great pedigree and are unique in their own way. The most disappointing part of this particular car is the interior. There is no integral roll cage and there are no RUF sports seats - these aren't even Porsche sport seats. I think the car would be worth well over $100k with an original RUF VIN.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:18 PM
F1Fan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
That's a good way of looking at it and I don't think this car is worth anywhere near $70k+. .
Given that the members of this forum represent at least some sort of sampling of those who might actually buy a car like this, let me ask this:

What do you think this car is worth?

I fully appreciate that it's impossible to objectively pinpoint the price as much of the value is subjective as many of you have pointed out. To me, no matter how many Shelby parts you put on a Mustang it's still not a Shelby and I believe that the same is true of Porsche and Ruf. But I'd like to hear from you that want to share your opinion as the price on thie car has me wondering if I missed something.

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:25 AM
ctr2
Instructor

According to the Ruf site info, the car was sent to Ruf in Germany and all the work was done there. In my opinion, if this can be documented, it carries a significant premium over a non factory Ruf conversion. Out of factory conversions are relatively common, factory conversions are rarer, most rare are the Run vin numbered cars, maybe 25-30 Ruf vin cars per year are manufactured at Ruf. The asking price is very reasonable, remember, it's an asking price .Also, try to find another one like it for sale, good luck.

Quick Reply: 964 conversion @ Ruf Dallas