Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally!!! My Car Has Arrived - Introducing...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 419 Posts

Congratulations and enjoy the new ride.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:25 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LA964RS
Neat car. I'm thinking of doing sort of the same thing, but using a 996 GT3 engine....

Whats it take to get written into your will?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:38 AM
RSGulp
Racer

Frank,

That looks great. Someone has put a lot of work (and money) into that car. It's probably the furthest I've seen anyone go to reflect true Carrera RS spec - there are a few things missing from the list but who cares? From your post I can see you're not looking to pass it off as a true RS so it's enjoying the car as it is that really matters.

I'd be interested to hear how it drives in comparison to the real mccoy - I bet it's pretty close.

Rich
Old 11-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by rich964rs
Frank,

I'd be interested to hear how it drives in comparison to the real mccoy - I bet it's pretty close.

Rich
Rich,

this will be my track car so there is no need to pass it off as anything. In comparison to my turbo (pretty much stock), the car handles like a go-kart, which is probably a function of the suspension and the weight reduction. I might look at installing a couple more RS parts for weight reduction (like the rear window glass and the smaller windscreen washer bottle). I am also looking at having the cosmoline stripped from the underbody by AP Car design in Germany next year which should save a couple more pounds. I am even looking at getting the carpets out and the glue residue removed.

I plan to visiting some track events in the UK next year so maybe we can compare.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 11-01-2008, 10:29 AM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Thanks - you are correct in that someone went through a lot of trouble to convert the car to a Euro RS spec. All parts are original Porsche parts. The hand cranks even have a 959 part number.

I've been in touch with Don on the "America" script. Just didn't feel right badging it as a "Carrera RS".

Thanks Keith! E-mail sent.
Very cool! I think the manual windows are my favorite part.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Very thoughtfully modified RSA I must say!!!

The USA Cup cars required power windows because of interference of the window winder handle with the airbag dash's knee pad at the point indicated by the arrow in the photo below.

A friend of mine did the conversion to manual, weighed and compared the parts and the weight saving was less than a kilogram for the door parts only.

Removal of the airbag knee pad saves around 13 pounds though.

BTW, the lateral carpeting should be higher, since you are in Europe you might find the pieces at a dismantler, then use the taller formed plastic pieces behind the carpet and the old carpet pieces as a pattern to cut new carpet. The pieces from Porsche are $$$$.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cupcar
BTW, the lateral carpeting should be higher, since you are in Europe you might find the pieces at a dismantler, then use the taller formed plastic pieces behind the carpet and the old carpet pieces as a pattern to cut new carpet. The pieces from Porsche are $$$$.
Good point - I agree it looks a bit messy.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:59 PM
J-F-O
Instructor

Thumbs up

Congratulations

The colour, oh the colour!

Rumour: white paint is smoother, improving air flow, Hence, speed
Old 11-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Frank glad to see it arrived in one piece, maybe i'll get to see it at the next track day in mondello.
Pity you just missed out on the 911 at the end of the number plate.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know - it cost Eu 315 to reserve 44911 three months ago but I thought it was too far away (13 to go), then the price rose to Eu 1000 to reserve that number and given the duty, tax, and VRT payments it was simply too much to spend. I think we'll have to wait until next year for Mondello.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Track weapon. How much does it weigh? Rather, how much less does it weigh vs a stock 964?
Old 11-05-2008, 10:51 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Rich,

this will be my track car so there is no need to pass it off as anything. In comparison to my turbo (pretty much stock), the car handles like a go-kart, which is probably a function of the suspension and the weight reduction. I might look at installing a couple more RS parts for weight reduction (like the rear window glass and the smaller windscreen washer bottle). I am also looking at having the cosmoline stripped from the underbody by AP Car design in Germany next year which should save a couple more pounds. I am even looking at getting the carpets out and the glue residue removed.

I plan to visiting some track events in the UK next year so maybe we can compare.

Cheers,
Frank
Very nice Frank.

I hope it is everything you expected. I think you will find the narrow body cars just handle more like a go kart than the widebody because of the track. The staggered track of the turbo seams IMO to have more impact on handling than anything. My C2 and turbo weigh within 120 pounds of each other and they couldn't be more different. I find the turbo to have much better high speed stability but the C2 is much more nimble. I just had an RSA tail added to mine. I might still have the RSA emblem if you want the real one. I will see if they were able to remove it without damaging it. If you want it it's yours.

Drive it in good health.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alex Sol
Nice Track weapon. How much does it weigh? Rather, how much less does it weigh vs a stock 964?
2,770 lbs without the spare, tools and jack.

Originally Posted by cobalt
Very nice Frank.
I just had an RSA tail added to mine. I might still have the RSA emblem if you want the real one. I will see if they were able to remove it without damaging it. If you want it it's yours.
Thanks Anthony! Thanks for the emblem - I just bought a replica one for $125 (they are impossible to come by) but would like to keep a spare should I ever need it.

I will install the cage, Carrera script and clear turn indicators this weekend - will post pictures of the install and the finished article. I also found an original new RS carpet set (had to sell my first born for it) which I will install in 3 weeks.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:17 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Does the RS/C2 pop up decklid that the car in the initial post has simply plug in to the RSA? Is the wiring loom the same, and where does the manual switch get mounted?
Old 11-14-2008, 05:47 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by christallon
Does the RS/C2 pop up decklid that the car in the initial post has simply plug in to the RSA? Is the wiring loom the same, and where does the manual switch get mounted?
Yes, it is a simple exchange - the switch is from a C2 and is mounted in the center console just like the C2/C4. Don't know about the wiring loom.

Quick Reply: Finally!!! My Car Has Arrived - Introducing...