Drivers side (left hand drive) dash vent only blowing cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drivers side (left hand drive) dash vent only blowing cold

All the others are working fine. A/C works, heater works etc. Just this one blower remains blowing cold air. Is there a hose or something that could be disconnected? Cheers, --H
Old 10-27-2008, 02:39 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the same issue. I also get a servo-related error code.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:57 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

The servo on that side has failed. Some have had luck in pulling them and cleaning, but according to Adrien's book, that is a temporary fix at best. I had the drivers side fail on me, and must have pulled it and taken it apart to clean it 15 times. It would work for a week, and crap out again. I got lucky and found one from another lister with a busted car. This is a great article on the heater.(thanks to Jason Andreas for the link) http://www.porsche964.co.uk/technical/servos.htm Good Luck.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:08 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, servo. They're expensive last I checked, like $300+ from Sunset. I bought two used ones from a totaled car and used one to replace my broken one and one for a spare. They're both ticking time bombs, but working for now. My bad one was beyond repair. It was toast inside and unrepairable. There's a ton of threads about replacing them. It's easy. A 2 on a scale of 10 IMHO. Repairing them is a little harder, maybe a 3. Good luck, Howard.

Last edited by deep_uv; 10-27-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I fixed mine last year and still going strong. It's an easy fix...DIY!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 PM
deep_uv
RIP

The driver's side is a little harder if you have AC. The best way to get it out is to remove the brackets that hold the AC lines (indicated in the picture). That will loosen them up enough to give you some wiggle room to get the servo out. You'll spot them. There's even an AC bracket down under the hood hinge that will help get you some more wiggle room. The second pic is from either Jason Andreas or John's 964 site. Sorry, I can't remember which.
Attached Images   
Old 10-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bloody hell thanks chaps!!! I only just posted this earlier, thanks very much!

Steve, the diagrams are ace, cheers!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

(Just as a reminder to myself as much as anything) there is a DIY on John M's site:
http://www.porsche964.co.uk/technical/servos.htm
Old 12-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Got a Porsche part number?

I have the same issue with my driver's side vent not delivering hot air. Have removed and "tweaked" the servo twice now but it refuses to work. I'm prepared to purchase a new servo but can't find the darn part on the Porsche PET. Anybody got the correct part number or the correct page location on the PET?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I managed to fix mine quite easily and now it works perfectly (well it has for about 3 weeks ...so touch wood!)

Did you test the motor inside the servo? Its probably worth checking before spending too much time on cleaning and straightening the contacts.

Mine actually worked fine and the metal contacts were definitely the culprits , quite tarnished and blackened at the very tip. A quick clean with some glasspaper, a spray with contact cleaner and all was well.

I think new ones are quite pricey considering what they are. Have you tried ebay and the dismantlers?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:25 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Here the are (w/ current pelican prices)

$291.50 813-05 #10 (2) 964.624.324.00 electric motor temperature mixing flap center (one each side)
$246.25 813-05 #17 (1) 964.624.901.00 electric motor fresh air flap with lever
$252.00 813-05 #18 (1) 964.624.902.00 electric motor defroster flap with segment
$251.00 813-05 #21 (1) 964.624.903.00 electric motor footwell flap with lever
Old 12-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks for part numbers!

OK, located the parts number in PET where Porsche puts them under the "body" section rather than the "electrical" section. Whatever, they're on page 454 when I pull up the PET on my screen. Many thanks to dfinnegan for scrounging up the parts numbers. Now to contact Paragon and see what they want for it these days. I guess it's part number 10 that I'm looking for since there's two of them, which would make for one for the passenger side and another for the driver's side.

I had already tested the motor inside my servo and found it worked OK, but the unit just wouldn't work after two reassemblies, cleaning of the contact area, and some readjustment of the contact brushes (which appeared pretty clean and not tarnished or blackened). I had marked the point of the gear mesh and reassembled accordingly but maybe the gears had moved a bit when the servo was taken apart. In any case, I'd run through this same type of scenario with the HVAC temperature blend door servo with my Jeep and had breathed new life into the servo after taking it apart etc. A few months later it re-failed on me and that's when I went ahead and got a new replacement control module (as Jeep calls it) and all works well. Depending on cost and availability of this new part from Porsche I may either order a new unit or try to find a used one from one of the California Porsche salvage yards.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
I managed to fix mine quite easily and now it works perfectly (well it has for about 3 weeks ...so touch wood!)
WHY, OH WHY, OH WHY did I have to write this??!!!!!

I just went out to pick up my wife, came back and COLD AIR on my side!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:08 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

@Blu RS

I read that you tested the servo motor, but have you put 12vdc to #4 and 5 of the assembled servo to test the complete servo? If not it's possible that the servo driver chip is NFG in the CCU. I have those driver chips available.

In any case, I have everything pictured on that PET page as spare. I bought a complete HVAC system for a 964 on ebay awhile back. I'm not sure of the mileage of the car it came from, but the one servo I used off it (fresh air #17) was in good shape internally.

I could open up the two #10 servos to see what condition they're in, and sell you one. I'd like your old one if that's the case. Check what's available new/used.

However, be sure it's just the servo and not the CCU failing to send juice on pins #4 and 5 of the servo connector. It's been known that a funky servo takes out this driver chip.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:48 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
"...so touch wood!)"

WHY, OH WHY, OH WHY did I have to write this??!!!!!

I just went out to pick up my wife, came back and COLD AIR on my side!!!
Dude, here it's "knock on wood".

Just kidding, sorry it broke on you.

Quick Reply: Drivers side (left hand drive) dash vent only blowing cold