Sponsored by:

Anyone imported 964RS to USA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:56 PM
RS 197
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
How about simply converting and RSA to RS spec? If you're doing this for the driving pleasure, it's a more cost efficient way of getting to where you want to go without the DOT/EPA hassle. Most/if not all the parts are available from Porsche. Of course this doesn't help if you're buying for a colletion.
To do the conversion correct, it would be way more expensive. Here is a few Items:
Alloy Hood
No Undercoating
Brakes
Suspension
Mag wheels
Thin glass
Gear box/ Fly wheel.
Old style dash
No air
The list goes on and you need all these thing to equal the experience...
I have driven a few clones/ not even close to the real thing...
Old 10-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd have to agree with Joe. You can convert a C2 or RS America to get close to an RS, but there are several significant items that would be very expensive to replicate. It is near impossible to get a C2 down to the weight of an RS in street trim. By the time you got a 964 to be remotely close to an RS, you would be very upside down in the car and couldn't even come close to getting your money back. If you really like the idea of an RS, I would just bite the bullet and import one. I think overall you would do better financially on it and you would have the real thing!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:22 PM
gooner
Instructor

i sent off detailsof 964RS to convert to US use to Wallace Labs - so will give costs once i get them back !!
Old 10-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

A USA Cup is essentially a Euro RS and much less hassle since it has all the hard parts installed: Alloy hood, light side glass, seam welding, G50/10 gearbox, RS engine, RS suspension, RS Brakes with electro-hydraulic brake booster, under coat deleted, light flywheel, single fan belt drive, A/C delete, light battery, etc. and is a USA car.

All it doesn't have is RS Seats, RS rear bumper and dummy fog lights, mag wheels and light rear glass.

It does have an airbag dash, alarm, US lighting and the electric windows required with the airbags.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:19 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I think we've had this conversation but if you federalize a 964 RS you pretty much end up with US Carrera Cup. Now the CC are quite rare only 45 were made but there are a couple for sale right now, I think they are both in race trim which may not be what you want. If you just want a hot rodded 964 there are quite a few for sale. To try and clone a 964 RS properely you'll probably spend 70-80 % of the money and have a car worth 30% as much.
Phil
Old 10-25-2008, 01:07 AM
gooner
Instructor

where are the cup cars for sale? not sure what average prices are for these cars but would think in the $70- 80K? mark ?
Old 10-25-2008, 11:36 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

There's one for sale on the PCA website for $99,000.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:04 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I think the US Carrera Cups are going for 90-110K these days, other than the "new" one at sloans for $175K.
Phil
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Lenox6
AutoX

Is Carrera Cup more desirable than RS?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Might as well start with a regular non sunroof C2, as retrofitting the manual rack will be cheaper than the RSA premium.
Not sure I recall ever seeing a regular non sunroof C2. How many of these were made?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cupcar
A USA Cup is essentially a Euro RS and much less hassle since it has all the hard parts installed: Alloy hood, light side glass, seam welding, G50/10 gearbox, RS engine, RS suspension, RS Brakes with electro-hydraulic brake booster, under coat deleted, light flywheel, single fan belt drive, A/C delete, light battery, etc. and is a USA car.

All it doesn't have is RS Seats, RS rear bumper and dummy fog lights, mag wheels and light rear glass.

It does have an airbag dash, alarm, US lighting and the electric windows required with the airbags.
45 sent in total, only in white with 1 in red which was intended to be the pace car.. retailed at $78,340, whereas the standard Carrera 2 retailing at $63,900.

To meet US requirements and not wanting a repeat of the humiliating debacle of the 959, Porsche insisted cars delivered to the US have full legal status. So for type approval they renistalled the appropriate parts;

Standard part electric seats
Door impact beams
electric windows
Airbag steering wheel(not the momo)
3rd brake light
H5 lights
Alarm
ABS
Standard rear glass
Luggage platform

The ECU is not the same as a ROW RS to cope with the lower grade street fuel 260bhp (275bhp ROW), 1290kg.

Still had the alloy front lid, ride height was 2" lower than standard. 29 cars sent to Andial CA who then converted them back to ROW RS spec to include a remap to 275 bhp and sealed engines. The remainder were sent to Porsche storage in Reno. But with no Cup series in the US all the cars were converted back, again to road spec by Andial and sold with a plaque 'Carrera Cup US editions'.

Extracts courtesy of - Total 911April 08
Old 10-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 964 Tip UK
The ECU is not the same as a ROW RS to cope with the lower grade street fuel 260bhp (275bhp ROW)
Actually, this part of the statement is not correct, the USA Cup comes with the same ECU as the Euro RS which is designed for 93 R+M/2 fuel.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:59 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
Not sure I recall ever seeing a regular non sunroof C2. How many of these were made?
None for the US market. Only RSA's came without sunroof. And not all of them either. I'm curious to find out how many RSA's came without the sunroof option...
Old 10-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cupcar
Actually, this part of the statement is not correct, the USA Cup comes with the same ECU as the Euro RS which is designed for 93 R+M/2 fuel.
My mistake - 'remap'.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:45 AM
gooner
Instructor

got response from importer on the 964RS........

I regret to inform you WETL has not previously imported a vehicle of this type. In addition, your vehicle is not on the DOT’s eligibility list, an indication that no one has previously imported this vehicle aftermarket. I would suggest the cost could exceed $7-12 thousand US dollars. The project will take in excess of 9 months.

The vehicle must be modified to be identical to the US version.

If there is a US version of this vehicle, it may be possible to have it added to the eligibility list. If you would like for me to petition the DOT to add your vehicle to the list we will need a parts microfiche, service manual, electrical troubleshooting manual (if separate) and $800 US. You will also be required to pay customs entry up front if the vehicle is shipped before the petition is granted. If you accept the contract on this vehicle after the petition is granted, I will credit your invoice for the $800.

In addition, EPA requires that vehicles produced in 1996 or later must also be equipped with an OBD II system. This system incorporates an oxygen sensor located behind the catalyst as well as other sensors. The additional cost to add this system could range from $5,000.00 to $10,000.00 US dollars in addition to all other conversion and importation fees.

Sorry I do not have more positive information.

I have included the DOT eligibility list, if you pick a car that is on this list, you will not have to go through the petition process. Alternatively, if you purchase a vehicle that is at least 25 years old, we can import it for you without modification.

Quick Reply: Anyone imported 964RS to USA?