Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beeping warning tone

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:24 PM
RichieRoo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I had to move the ignition switch over a bit in order to extract the steering shaft... and yes one of the plugs, I believe it is suspiciously called the "buzzer contact" appears very flimsily connected.

However, I did a test with this plug disconnected and manually closed the contact circuit (by shorting it in a similar way that the ignition switch does)... but the bing continued.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:30 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you located the sound device? Any part number on it?
Old 10-17-2008, 09:50 PM
RichieRoo
Rennlist Member

Not yet. (1.45am here) As soon as I do, you'll be the first to know.

I like your thinking on that idea, sounds a logical way to track it back to the fault.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:59 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

I just looked back through the thread and realized that I asked that question earlier today! Sorry. Seems like days ago. Sheesh. I'm loosing it!

Good luck.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:47 AM
RichieRoo
Rennlist Member

Default enjoy the silence

OK, managed to locate the buzzer and disconnected it. Obviously not solved the problem, but temporarily stopped me going insane with the bing, bing, bing!

Checked the part number against the PDF (good thinking dfinnegan), which just says "Buzzer relay". Looked it up on the wiring diagram. Looks predominantly for the seat belt buzzer - will investigate further. Should be able to use a multi-meter to track fault back.

You can see where I'm up to on the image attached.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2008, 11:45 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

I'm not an electrical engineer, but several folks here have talked about opening and testing relays. I'm guessing this is rather straight forward with the circuit diagram (printed on the relay).

Could be, you have a bad relay! Wouldn't that be nice? :-)
Old 11-25-2008, 07:25 PM
RichieRoo
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb Resolved!

The bonnet pin switch was faulty - nothing to do with the work I had done on the steering shaft.

I only worked this out after I replaced the interior and bonnet festoon bulbs with LEDs. I noticed that when a door was open the new LEDs were fully bright, but when the doors were closed... half bright. I checked the light connection with a multi-meter and sure enough there was about 6v in the interior lighting circuit.

I soon tracked it down to the faulty pin switch, but this had got me thinking - could this half voltage cause the odd/fast buzzer sound. I reinserted the warning gong relay (I had removed it because of the insesent beeping) and low and behold... not a sound. Yippee!

A big thank you to everyone who took the time to respond. It makes such a difference knowing you're not alone.
The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (08-31-2022)
Old 11-25-2008, 07:43 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4 pin plug looks like the one that you plug into the steering column switch that has the stalk for the OBC.

There are a number of plugs ready on the loom but only plug in if you have the necessary option. When I fitted my OBC tacho I found there were plugs there ready to attach - I had to remove the plug in the existing tacho and find the OBC version to plug in to the back of my new tacho and plug in a 4 pin connector (the one I think is in your pic) to the new steering column switch (with the OBC stalk).
Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 PM
user 783003
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichieRoo

I only worked this out after I replaced the interior and bonnet festoon bulbs with LEDs.
You can do that?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:34 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

You can do that?
Did precisely that to the three backlights to the center console. The three right above the manual tail switch are regular little bulb lights soldered to a little slide-in electronics board. All were burned out.
Out came the board. Off the board came the light bulbs with a soldering gun.
In soldered three 12V LEDs picked up at Radio Shack.
And now there's helpful lights I didn't know I had when I bought the car.

12V LED's: a very, very cool issue to tuck away in the mind vault.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:44 AM
dcbailey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
That link is pointing to a 944 parts catalog. I think the correct one might be https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinf...SA_KATALOG.pdf .

Regards,
Clay

Quick Reply: Beeping warning tone