Sponsored by:

964 Blower runs with Ignition off and CCU removed

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:44 PM
jmpolyak
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 964 Blower runs with Ignition off and CCU removed

The blower located behind the fuse box continues to run after the ignition is off and the keys are in my pocket causing battery drain. I thought it was the small fan on the back of the CCU that I was hearing, so I removed the CCU and disconnected ALL its wires and I still hear a fan running somewhere in the dash. I removed fuse No. 1 and the blower stops. The blower that is running seems to by the one located right behind the fuse box. I need help locating the problem
Old 09-08-2008, 06:16 AM
cmm964
Track Day

This may be of no help and more experienced users may contradict me, but I had the same issue on my 1990 C2 Targa about 3 months ago. Like you I was confused and tried to find a solution. I even resorted to removing the fuse (numbered 1in the box) when I left the car for any period to save the battery drain. I discussed the problem with my local independent (also a friend) and he generated the same situation on another customers 964. He also told me that the fan continues to run (even with the ignition off and the keys removed) for a period of time under some circumstances. Nothing has been changed on my car, but I have no had the problem (drained battery) or replicated the symptoms (fan running) since.

As I said, probably not much help except that there is possible no fault to look for!

If anyone else has any further insight, I would also be interested to know the answer.

Take care
Old 09-08-2008, 06:50 PM
jmpolyak
7th Gear

Thanks for your thoughts. I will put the fuse #1 back in, and let it run and see what happens. I appreciate your help.

Someone please remind me again, why do we love these cars so much
Old 09-08-2008, 06:55 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jmpolyak
Someone please remind me again, why do we love these cars so much
It's the driving experience. I've not been without my own frustrations, but I do love to drive this car!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:48 AM
cmm964
Track Day

Agreed, I have another much more reliable car (BMW X5) which is my daily driver, but nothing compares to the feeling of an (almost) 20 year old 911. It never fails to make me smile, and it reminds me of what driving is all about every time I get behind the wheel.

I'm glad that my own experience may have helped.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming you are talking about the right hand cabin blower (it's the only one I can think of as being behind the fuse box), the blowers (both left and right) are driven via an electronic amplifier/driver which sits behind/below the fuse box. There are no relays for these blowers (unlike the oil cooler/ac/rear blowers). The amplifier has been known to fail and would, potentially, give a similar effect as a stuck relay. There is probably little else you can do but to change the amplifier - they do come up on eBay from time to time.

Regards

Dave
Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 PM
jmpolyak
7th Gear

Thanks Dave. Is the amplifier a triangular flat black plastic pack that has 9 wires to it?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:43 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmpolyak
Thanks Dave. Is the amplifier a triangular flat black plastic pack that has 9 wires to it?
Something like that, yes. There is one on the UK eBay right now (click here) if that helps you identify it.

Regards

Dave
Old 09-23-2008, 11:49 PM
jmpolyak
7th Gear

That was it. Thanks Computamedic

Quick Reply: 964 Blower runs with Ignition off and CCU removed