Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max HP out of a NA 3.6 liter Motor???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:36 AM
964speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max HP out of a NA 3.6 liter Motor???

Does anyone know what the maxium hourse power that can be attained out of a NA 3.6 motor? I was told that its is the range of 100hp per liter, does that sound right? so 360 hp.

I am trying to decide why I should Supercharge, turbo or stay NA.

Thougths and all opinions welcome...Please!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:48 AM
bobesser
Pro

what is your motivation?

what is your budget?

where do you plan to drive (road or track)?

Bob
Old 09-06-2008, 09:58 AM
964speed
Pro

So My motivation is to have a car faster that my current set up - I currently have a full B&B set up and a Steve Wong Chip. Not sure where that puts me on the overall HP upgrade. I've put GT3 seats in and RS door panels are coming for some weight saving.

Budget wise - 10 - 15k ish

Street driving at some point I'd like to try a DE event no plans as of yet.

I have been a 993 TT and it was like a rocket outrageously fast. I think it was in the 420 hp range.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:22 AM
bobesser
Pro

There are a lot of people that have done the TPC supercharger route. Many have a beef with using a piggyback and extra injectors, but, their cars run well from what I have read on here and pelican forums. The advantage of the super is that you get the grun *right now*. The disadvantage is that the mgp goes down to about 10 to 14 in city driving. The supercharger may not be the best for track/DE driving due to heat issues - there are higher pumping losses with a positive displacement supercharger which means more heat.

A turbocharger should not have as big of an impact on the mpg and will definitely not be as bad on the heat. But, you will have some lag (people will quote Carroll Shelby now) and you will not notice the extra power below about 3000 rpm.

The other option bandied about on the forums that seems relevant is the 9Meister heads. They show about 350 or more horsepower and are normally aspirated. They even claim better mpg because of more efficient design. I don't know what the cost is, but, it is pretty expensive for just heads because of the exchange rate. (should be getting a bit better as the dollar improves). Heads will require some computer reprogramming.

Bob
Old 09-06-2008, 10:26 AM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a turbo installed and most mornings i can't wait to go to work so i can drive the car, sooo much fun. You would need to add another 5-7k to get this done properly. I had 150,000 miles on the car so i timed the work with a rebuild which is needed to add the turbo and was close to be needed for the age/miles on the engine. An engine rebuild would have been at least a 1/3 of the cost anyway. The main reason that i added was due to the power loss of an NA car at altitude. I live at 9,000 feet and the HP loss is about 40%. By the way, I wouldn't trade my car for a 993 tt, as I like the looks of ours better, it's faster and not enough other improvements on the 993. Now a 997 tt would be another story.
If you like the feel of getting pinned into the back of your seat, then I highly suggest a turbo.
Have fun with your decision.
Peter
Old 09-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had a 3.6l N/A engine on an engine dyno and it produced a true 396hp. This was running 11.5:1 compression. I think with 12.5-13 you could gain some additional power.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:40 AM
jhanley
4th Gear

396 at the wheels! N/A? that's impressive, can you elaborate on the setup?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:43 AM
964speed
Pro

Thanks for all of the ideas - 396 with an NA car more details please!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jhanley
396 at the wheels! N/A? that's impressive, can you elaborate on the setup?
Engine dyno = at crank

Regardless, very good number.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your car is probably putting out in the neighborhood of 230-ish at the rear wheels right now. That's where mine was at before I rebuilt it (I haven't dynoed it post rebuild, but I don't expect that it is tremendously higher since my compression/leakdown numbers were all very good before the rebuild). My car had a cat bypass, steve wong chip, secondary bypass, and open airbox.

One piece of generic advice that was given to me when I was rebuilding my engine and asking about doing mods: Don't turn the car that you love into the car you hate. That means different things to different people, but for me, that's why I opted not to do 3.8 conversion, cams, big injectors, etc. The 3.6L engine in stock form is a sweet running and reliable engine with a reasonable amount of power for most purposes including track. Certainly more than enough for most driver's skill levels.

The stock engine does have a few weak spots if it is going to be pushed hard and long at high revs. Namely the rod bolts and the stock valve springs. But those are relatively cheap to upgrade if you are rebuilding anyway. One thing I would not do is to run a supercharger on a car that hasn't had the rod bolts upgraded. Just my opinion. I know people have done it and probably haven't sheared a rod bolt. Yet.

I guess this will come down to why you want to do this and what your goal is. If your goal is to outrun the Vette Z06 sitting next to you from one stoplight to the next, then you probably have the wrong car to start with. If your goal is to develop track driving skills at DE's, the 964 NA 3.6 is a great platform with plenty of power to accomplish this.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Originally Posted by TR6
Your car is probably putting out in the neighborhood of 230-ish at the rear wheels right now. That's where mine was at before I rebuilt it (I haven't dynoed it post rebuild, but I don't expect that it is tremendously higher since my compression/leakdown numbers were all very good before the rebuild). My car had a cat bypass, steve wong chip, secondary bypass, and open airbox.

One piece of generic advice that was given to me when I was rebuilding my engine and asking about doing mods: Don't turn the car that you love into the car you hate. That means different things to different people, but for me, that's why I opted not to do 3.8 conversion, cams, big injectors, etc. The 3.6L engine in stock form is a sweet running and reliable engine with a reasonable amount of power for most purposes including track. Certainly more than enough for most driver's skill levels.

The stock engine does have a few weak spots if it is going to be pushed hard and long at high revs. Namely the rod bolts and the stock valve springs. But those are relatively cheap to upgrade if you are rebuilding anyway. One thing I would not do is to run a supercharger on a car that hasn't had the rod bolts upgraded. Just my opinion. I know people have done it and probably haven't sheared a rod bolt. Yet.

I guess this will come down to why you want to do this and what your goal is. If your goal is to outrun the Vette Z06 sitting next to you from one stoplight to the next, then you probably have the wrong car to start with. If your goal is to develop track driving skills at DE's, the 964 NA 3.6 is a great platform with plenty of power to accomplish this.

+1
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (11-25-2021)
Old 09-06-2008, 03:18 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

nitrous....
Old 09-06-2008, 08:44 PM
964speed
Pro

Nitrous... I've haven't heard of any Porsche running it
Old 09-06-2008, 08:55 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by sgoldberg
Nitrous... I've haven't heard of any Porsche running it
Not for the car... For the driver.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:02 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I have had a 3.6l N/A engine on an engine dyno and it produced a true 396hp. This was running 11.5:1 compression. I think with 12.5-13 you could gain some additional power.
Geoffrey,

That's a high water mark.
You mentioned it for our curiosity. Please start a new thread outlining the details.

Quick Reply: Max HP out of a NA 3.6 liter Motor???