1993 RSA For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
Dave,
I did not intend to be second-guessing your decision. I'm sure you made the correct decision based on your circumstances. Sorry.
Absoloutely no apology necessary, I'm just explaining how much damage I *thought* there was to the car, and that I really had no established basis to debate what I was hearing. I appreciate your feedback.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
It is curious that they did not transfer the RSA bits to an undamaged C2 shell, which is identical to the RSA shell. If the repair cost is 24K, that would be far cheaper, and it would be a better car with no real collision history.

Accident pics show the unibody is buckled enough for the door fit to be off, and there is a crease below the quarter window. It is difficult to tell if the belly pan got buckled. Note the replacement tail light lens in the marketing pictures. They match, but are used and more weathered than the surviving lenses in the crash photo. I would think a "spare no cost/effort" repair would include new rather than weathered used lenses.
I don't have photos of the other side, but the passenger door striker was compressed into the side of the door to the point where it rubbed on the paint every time you opened or closed the door.

WP0AB2967PS419267

Last edited by Rennen; 09-05-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:23 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

That collision looks worse than mine did, and mine was scrapped.

Here is my 1993 C2, 75,000 miles, after a 10 mph sideways impact into the wall at Watkins Glen. Repair estimate was close to 22K plus taxes, but track insurance provider would not agree to pay what the shop wanted. Track insurance payout after deductible, minus taxes was $12,000. Track insurance does not cover wheels, towing, or anything else they disagree with and you have ZERO recourse if their guy does not agree with your shop.

The car was twisted, and the engine swung out and messed up drivers side even though impact was on passenger side. Battery broke off and destroyed hood. Suspension broke, wheels broke. Who knows what else was broken since we never checked the engine or transmission.

I sold the car to a breaker with a clean title since road insurance claim was not made. Buyer beware of a twisted 1993 C2!
Attached Images      
Old 09-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread amazes me. Who know how many of these are out there?
Of course, we know that a lot slips through Carfax's net anyway.
More reason for a thorough PPI.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:22 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread certainly didn't turn out as intended
Old 09-04-2008, 06:56 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Once started, can a thread be withdrawn/canceled?

(...and if so, would anyone know that "once, we were here?")

Last edited by elbeee964; 09-04-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

It could be "black holed" by a moderator, but in this case it's unlikely. The OP can't delete it, but he can lock it, which I distinctly remember him doing last week after the first. A moderator can reopen it however.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Originally Posted by elbeee964
Once started, can a thread be withdrawn/canceled?

(...and if so, would anyone know that "once, we were here?")
You can zap me with the MIB pen, but every time I see a red RSA, I'm gonna think,
"I can't quite put my finger on it, but something's wrong here..."
Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
The C2 doesn't have the RSA VIN and you can't command a similar premium.
True, but transfer the door panels, the spoiler, steering rack, and the seats to a C2. You would have an RSA in every detail except the VIN would not match. That story would make the car far more acceptable to me. I would not pay a premium for a totaled car just to say the VIN matched the factory record.

I seriously question the decision to repair that car - too much unseen damage that can never be corrected.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to agree that the original post appears to deceive. Regardless of intentions, by not stating the clear facts up front it implies information is intentionally withheld.

Much better to pitch that a rare opportunity exists to own an RSA at a discount price due to it having been restored following an accident. People can then disagree on the value but not on the integrity. In this case the integrity of SSI is completely shot regardless of their true intentions to disclose.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:51 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 839 Likes on 423 Posts

I seriously question the decision to repair that car - too much unseen damage that can never be corrected.
A good body chop can repair pretty much anything. Just because it's been hit, does not mean it can't be repaired properly. If they just took a BFH (Big F-ing Hammer) and pounded it out, then it wasn't done right. But a good shop will take the car at the factory seems and replace the panels (body & structural) so that even a trained eye can't see the repair. I've seen a 993 RSCS that was completely destroyed in a club race (100 times worse than this) and it was repaired so well you can't tell at all.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I've seen a 993 RSCS that was completely destroyed in a club race (100 times worse than this) and it was repaired so well you can't tell at all.
I guarantee you a car like that is worth fixing, almost no matter what. Was it a Champion 993GT2 (of some variety) that absolutely was balled up back in the day and came back good as new? Speaking of, such a 993 GT2 was banged up pretty well at Thunderhill a week ago Friday. Undoubtedly it will be back shortly......
Old 09-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSI Performance
Both tail lights & center are new from Porsche. The new gasket around the tail lights have a white powder on them they are also new from Porsche.
Wow, really? New tail lights?!! Then forget the multitude of posts questioning why a serious wreck and structural damage was not mentioned anywhere in the ad. As long as the tail lights are new I'd say it was a bargain!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

This Post 7 ?:
Anyone have a picture of the car after the wreck? Past a certain point, the frame can be straightened, but it will never be as stiff. Ride and handling will never be the same. There will be problems getting and keeping suspension alignment settings.

A car that took a hard hit has many over-stressed fasteners and mountings, and is therefore prone to rattles and harshness over bumps in the road. I agree it is deceptive to claim the car is excellent when in reality it has major collision history.
Originally Posted by 38D
A good body chop can repair pretty much anything.
Freudian slip? Actually, I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe a good car to take back out and beat up on again, but not to ask premium money for.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:05 AM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

That car will probably sell to some poor sucker overseas that does not inspect the car! Is there a German 911/964 site?

Quick Reply: 1993 RSA For Sale