Sponsored by:

Thanks to Everyone

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Thanks to Everyone

I acquired my '93 a month+ ago and just wanted to say thanks to everyone on the board as the information here has been invaluable to me.

This past weekend I changed out the front trunk shocks, replaced rear spoiler wind wall and removed excess oil. It would have been more difficult for me to accomplish these simple tasks if it wasn't for the posting.

Granted, having little fingers helped me with doing some of this work, but thanks to everyone who has contributed. And, hopefully I will be able to help someone someday in the future.

I found it amazing that I had to remove 1 1/4 quarts of oil. How the PO put in some much oil is amazing. The only issue I had is with fresh oil, it is extremely difficult to read the dip stick. Hard to see the oil line on the stick. Is there any secret I am missing here?

Next project for me is to clean the ISV and MAF due to the oil overfill.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:36 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just put in the required 12.5 quarts when I do a oil/filter change, and leave at that. It is too difficult to read the dip stick with fresh oil like you stated....The only plus to that is that our engines are clean on the inside.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cobracarrera
You have to much oil in your car .
Old 08-11-2008, 03:12 PM
jox
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am relatively new to our cars and find this board invaluable. Every issue, big and small,has been pinpointed with instructions how to solve it in a number of minutes. So much knowledge here. ^ Indycam is one of those
Old 08-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cobracarrera
I just put in the required 12.5 quarts when I do a oil/filter change, and leave at that. It is too difficult to read the dip stick with fresh oil like you stated....The only plus to that is that our engines are clean on the inside.
I think 12.5 qts is way too much oil to put in after a regular oil change. That is the volume of the entire oil system drained. You never get all of the oil out of the lines and oil cooler. I think this is how people end up over-filling. I typically get no more than 11 qts in after a full oil change. I put the car on a level surface, turn the engine on, let it get warm, then start watching the oil level gauge when I get to about 10 qts. Once that starts to rise above its baseline, then I start monitoring the dip-stick. I find that holding the dip-stick up to some light and looking for the differential reflection of the wet and dry dip-stick. Sometimes I have to dip and dry the things several times before I get a decent reading.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I generally just use the gauge and rarely the dipstick. I allow the engine temp to warm up to 9 O'clock and then add oil until gauge is at around 1 or 2 O'clock. I only use the dipstick if it appears that I am adding too much oil and the gauge isn't moving. So far the gauge has never broken and I've been fine.

Last edited by Kahdmus; 08-11-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I would use the gauge exclusively if I felt comfortable that it is reading accurately. This is the issue, the car is new to me which means I'm still checking that everything is working as it should. So, comparing the gauge to the dip stick is where I'm at at the moment.

I was doing what Rennen is suggesting about holding it up to the light for a reflection, but even then I found it difficult to see the oil line. I believe I was reading it properly and that it matched the gauge. I just wanted to make sure there wasn’t something else I could be doing to make reading the stick easier.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:31 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennen
I think 12.5 qts is way too much oil to put in after a regular oil change. That is the volume of the entire oil system drained. You never get all of the oil out of the lines and oil cooler. I think this is how people end up over-filling. I typically get no more than 11 qts in after a full oil change. I put the car on a level surface, turn the engine on, let it get warm, then start watching the oil level gauge when I get to about 10 qts. Once that starts to rise above its baseline, then I start monitoring the dip-stick. I find that holding the dip-stick up to some light and looking for the differential reflection of the wet and dry dip-stick. Sometimes I have to dip and dry the things several times before I get a decent reading.
This is the correct procedure. You should never rely on the gage for oil level they are not accurate and vary from car to car.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Boston Blazer
HaHa
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
cobracarrera
+1 I usually end up with a little more than 10 quarts for an oilchange.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:26 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CabrioArtie
Hard to see the oil line on the stick. Is there any secret I am missing here?
Good light helps. Dirty oil helps even more.

Next project for me is to clean the ISV and MAF due to the oil overfill.
Don't be too hasty. If you drive enough before the oil gets gummy and dirty, it will pass harmlessly. Cleaning may not be required. It has been years since my obligatory over-fill. I did not clean up, and the car runs great.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only issue I had is with fresh oil, it is extremely difficult to read the dip stick. Hard to see the oil line on the stick. Is there any secret I am missing here?
One trick is to take a fine file and put a rough cross-hatch on the dipstick between the two dots. Some dipsticks in other cars come like this... it helps retain the oil (even new oil) on the dipstick, making it easier to gauge the level.

My oil gauge correlates beautifully with the dipstick: When the gauge is reading at 3 o'clock on the dial (car fully warmed up, thermostat open, etc.), the dipstick is reading halfway between the two dots on the dipstick. Again, just for what it's worth recognizing that each car is different and gauges can't be relied on totally.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:17 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
cobracarrera
Sorry....You all are correct....I couldnt remember exactly and I googled the oil capacity for the 964 and it said 12.5 q with completely draining the entire system... when I replyed to CabrioArtie

I did only put in just about 11 quarts at my buddies shop...I checked the left over oil I bought (15 quarts) and I have 4 bottles left.

Sorry for the wrong info........

Quick Reply: Thanks to Everyone