Sponsored by:

Speaking of Hot Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Danz C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaking of Hot Air

With the recent posts about heat and A/C, I decided to finally do something about all the hot air pouring into the passenger foot well. Since my fans and controls seem to do what I expect, I started by removing the cover that surrounds the diagnostic plug, here is what I found. That is melted material over the framing spring support in the air hose. I did some temperature measurements and the air through there is pretty close to engine temps. Average 150F on a cool day. I suggest you check yours if you have a hot air problem. Puns allowed...

As Demonfish points out, if there is demand for hot air (a big hole in that hose), the rear heater boxes let it have as much as it wants. That is why that cover isn't usually very warm. Hot air is normally dumped out the vents at the rear of the car and doesn't move through the air hose.

There is one of these on each side of the car. Porsche part # 964 572 527 01.

Danz C4
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:37 AM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

I have the same issue on the driver's side. One note - my hose is the heavy paper with the foil lining. Yours looks like a non-factory hose. The paper-foil hose won't melt. It will, however, tear..
Old 08-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the parts pictured are definitely NOT factory standard parts. The foil lined factory parts will not melt like that.

Also the parts are NOT the same each side - the part number given above is for the left side. The right side part is 964.572.528.01 and is a slightly different length to the left side. They are only a few dollars from the Porsche dealer and it seems madness to try and save a few bucks - especially when you suffer the type of damage pictured above. There are times when saving a few $$$ can be worthwhile - this isn't one of them!!!

Regards

Dave
Old 08-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Danz C4
Instructor

Thanks for the update info. Looks like my PO took the cheap route. Another reason for everyone to look in there and see how yours is doing.

Danz C4
Old 08-02-2008, 11:41 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MitchB
I have the same issue on the driver's side. One note - my hose is the heavy paper with the foil lining. Yours looks like a non-factory hose. The paper-foil hose won't melt. It will, however, tear..
yes it will! ask me how I know
Old 08-02-2008, 11:45 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Computamedic
I agree that the parts pictured are definitely NOT factory standard parts. The foil lined factory parts will not melt like that.

Also the parts are NOT the same each side - the part number given above is for the left side. The right side part is 964.572.528.01 and is a slightly different length to the left side. They are only a few dollars from the Porsche dealer and it seems madness to try and save a few bucks - especially when you suffer the type of damage pictured above. There are times when saving a few $$$ can be worthwhile - this isn't one of them!!!

Regards

Dave
I have to agree with Dave, take is advice. A few bucks (or one pound ;-) will save you in the end.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I had a small hole in the driver's pipe....have it duct taped until the new part arrives. Now I can drive without cooking my left shin! Thanks! Funny (not so much) how the shop I took it to didn't find it.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

What's interesting, at least in my case, is that it's never an issue until you open a window. It's a function of the heat / AC design apparently. A system that works well when it works well, but is designed oddly IMO.
I nearly went crazy trying to figure out the cause when the car was newly purchased. Of course one search on R List and it all made sense..
Old 08-05-2008, 11:26 AM
bassie911
Intermediate

I have hot air coming from the handbrake area... ? someone recognizes that?

Quick Reply: Speaking of Hot Air