Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Model Year Changes 92' 93' & 94'

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 05:59 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The words "garage queen" mean many things to many people and can even have a negative connotation. If I interpret correctly what you are searching for, pehaps it can be described as a "low mileage unmolested survivor with excellent original paintwork and completely up to date maintenance/service".
Old 07-22-2008, 06:49 PM
993PET
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Greg:

You hit the nail on the head!

JF
Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
As someone else noted, '92-'94 manual transmission 964s will have the trip computer in the tachometer (all tiptronics have the trip computer, even pre-'92 models).
My 93 C2 manual doesn't have a trip computer in the tachometer. Are you sure that was standard and not an option?
Derek
Old 07-22-2008, 10:58 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
The words "garage queen" mean many things to many people and can even have a negative connotation. If I interpret correctly what you are searching for, pehaps it can be described as a "low mileage unmolested survivor with excellent original paintwork and completely up to date maintenance/service".
Sounds like a dynamite data mining potential if only you could cross reference PCA, its 964 owners,... and the obituaries.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:21 PM
porschapete91
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computers

If the 964 is fitted with a trip computer the odometer is not installed in the speedometer they made them with and without from 90_04 the turbos do not have distance to next fill up or average fuel compsumption readouts eather.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,189 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by porschapete91
If the 964 is fitted with a trip computer the odometer is not installed in the speedometer they made them with and without from 90_04 the turbos do not have distance to next fill up or average fuel compsumption readouts eather.
My 93 did not come with one and I agree the turbo did not read consumption and fuel average but gave boost instead. Albeit only up to .7 bar even though the car ran at .8 bar

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
The two most obvious visual differences for a '92-94 964 will be the aero mirrors (rather than flag mirrors) and the 16 inch "Design 92" five spoke wheels (rather than the 16 inch "Design 90" wheels). As someone else noted, '92-'94 manual transmission 964s will have the trip computer in the tachometer (all tiptronics have the trip computer, even pre-'92 models).

I think that your working theory of "'92 and up = more reliable" is fundamentally flawed. Since the newest 964 is now 14 years old, any one you buy is going to need some work and how dependable a given car will be is going to be more a function of mileage and how well it was maintained, rather than its model year. A lot of the "early 964 faults" -- e.g., leaky heads, failing Freudenberg DMF, distributor issues -- have already been fixed in the cars that you're going to be looking at.

More generally, if your requirement is minimal maintenance expenses, you really should be looking into buying a nearly-new 997 or 987, not a 964 (or any older car for that matter).

Best of luck.
I agree with you that how well a car was maintained is most crucial. Although records are not always available for all cars and you would need to verify that the issues associated with the earlier cars were addressed before purchasing.

I have a 94 turbo that now has 37k miles a 93 928GTS with 62,500 miles and a 93 C2 with 5?k miles. All were well maintained cars and none of these cars have been anything less than stellar as far as reliability. To date ( knock on wood) I have only had to put general maintenance and the elected upgrades into each of my cars. I have put about 10k miles on each since I have owned them the earliest purchased in 2003 and the most recent in 2007. Even with over 5k track/AX miles on my C2 since last year (2 driver car) it has been an amazingly solid performer and other than upgrades has needed nothing but general maintenance.

I know many 997 and 987 owners that have had more issues than I have with any of my cars. They don't build them like the 964 anymore. The most important thing when looking at these cars is don't be cheap. Many people will pass on an exceptional car because the seller wants a few $$ more than what the average car sells for only to find that they have to dump $$ into teh car they buy to bring it up to speed costing more and giving you less. Buy the car that suits your needs and don't let a little extra $$ scare you away from a sound car.

One last point is you may never find a car that doesn't have some paintwork. Most cars have some paintwork done more than likely the bumpers at a min have been painted unless they have lots of rock chips or clear bra don't believe it has original paint if the bumpers are clean with more than 5k miles on the car.

Good Luck.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:46 PM
porschapete91
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trip computer

G'day the option code for the on board computer is M659.

Quick Reply: Model Year Changes 92' 93' & 94'