Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA EVAP test (california smog check)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:59 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts
Default CA EVAP test (california smog check)

I just relocated to California from Illinois and have to get my 964 smog checked. I have come to understand that since August 2007 on pre-1995 cars the state of California requires a Low Pressure Fuel Evaporative Test.

I am going to change the fuel filler neck with the latest Porsche updated one because I noticed then when my tank is full I get a gasoline smell in the car when I take sharp turns. Is this indicative of a issue in the fuel filler neck that would cause me to fail this EVAP smog check? I would think so as the whole point of this test is to prevent fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere.

In the test, they seal off the tube coming out of the charcoal canister in the engine compartment (if its accessable) and put a special gas cap on the car. Then they pressurize with nitrogen and measure the leak rate.

Anyway, I am getting quotes from Sunset on the filler neck part and found the DIY from Wachuko here to replace it. Looks pretty easy.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=gas+fumes

All the best,
Ricardo

Last edited by RicardoD; 07-17-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:48 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RicardoD
I just relocated to California from Illinois and have to get my 964 smog checked. I have come to understand that since August 2007 on pre-1995 cars the state of California requires a Low Pressure Fuel Evaporative Test.

I am going to change the fuel filler neck with the latest Porsche updated one because I noticed then when my tank is full I get a gasoline smell in the car when I take sharp turns. Is this indicative of a issue in the fuel filler neck that would cause me to fail this EVAP smog check? I would think so as the whole point of this test is to prevent fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere.

In the test they seal of the tube coming out of the charcoal canister in the engine compartment (if its accessable) and put a special gas cap on the car. Then they pressurize with nitrogen and measure the leak rate.

Anyway, I am getting quotes from Sunset on the filler neck part and found the DIY from Wachuko here to replace it. Looks pretty easy.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=gas+fumes

All the best,
Ricardo
Ricardo,

Welcome to California I am in the same boat also with renewal coming up, which also requires the smog testing. Please post updates to your filler neck change, for I fear I might need to do the same.

Bob
Old 07-18-2008, 06:21 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Part number for cars in USA is: 964-201-043-06 Its one its way from Sunset Porsche now, much cheaper than through Pelican on this part.

I will poke around this weekend to see if the fuel charcoal canister and drain hose is easily accessible. the vent hose coming out of the canister must be pinched off during this test. All I know is that its located in the left rear of the engine compartment, I have a diagram from Adrian's book. If it is not easily accessible, requires parts to be removed, or the car jacked up, etc, then it is valid for the Smog Tester to note that the EVAP canister is not accessible and not run the test. I know this because I went to the California Smog check website and actually watched the technician training videos on Youtube on how to run this test. One option clearly indicated and explained is the "non-accessible" option.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:58 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

(seek out advice of local pca members re 'flexible' local inspectors. Especially among the autox and trackster members. 'letter v. spirit of law')

...butcha never heard that here, Ricardo.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:08 AM
jjbunn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had my '91 C2 smogged here in Pasadena, and they didn't do anything with the filler cap, nor with anything in the engine compartment. Passed with flying colours.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:13 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

I passed my smog test no problem. Prior to the test I did change the updated fuel filler neck which wasn't necessary but hopefully will take care of the fuel smell during sharp right turns with a full tank. I did notice my new fuel filler neck allows me to fill that tank easier without the gas pump turning off automatically prematurely like it did with the old neck.

In summary, since the EVAP canister and vent line requires rear tire removal for access, the vehicle come up as "No test" in the computerized EVAP system. That means they will not pressurize your fuel tank. Since I have a C4 all they did was the idle test and one at 2500rpm with the car in neutral. They also check the gas cap for a proper seal. I now have my California plates.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:26 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
...In summary, since the EVAP canister and vent line requires rear tire removal for access, the vehicle come up as "No test" in the computerized EVAP system. That means they will not pressurize your fuel tank. Since I have a C4 all they did was the idle test and one at 2500rpm with the car in neutral. They also check the gas cap for a proper seal. I now have my California plates.
Well now us 964 owners now know why they did not perform the fuel evap test. Score one for Porsche engineers getting us a by on testing. Glad to hear you passed.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:14 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I now have my California plates.
A big 'Scent of a Woman' HUU-ahh!!, to ya, Richardo. Congrats.

Amazing there's such a thing as being too arduous a demand recognized by a CA bureaucracy. No doubt the implied litigious liabilities associated with all those rear tire lug nuts potentially being reinstalled Not Quite Right, gave some legal bureaucrat's spaghetti-spine a shiver... "nah, rather than showing up on 60 Minutes, we'll just let these guys slide"

Quick Reply: CA EVAP test (california smog check)