Sponsored by:

Speaker / crossover wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:14 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Speaker / crossover wiring

Really, my stereo sounds terrible! Anything loud enough for top-down volume produces a "splat" from the bass. The front speakers were replaced with decent 5.25" 2-way pioneers. I have the CDR-220 on its way, which I hope will help dramatically. I realize that these small speakers will never produce a good tight bass sound, but I really want the splat to go away.

The simple question for now is - the Pioneers are wired through the crossovers just like the stock speakers. Would it be better to have the Pioneers bypass the crossover and the tweeters still run through it? Can I just "tee" the wiring that feeds into the crossover from the stereo?

Thanks!
nick
Old 07-30-2008, 01:37 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -nick
Really, my stereo sounds terrible! Anything loud enough for top-down volume produces a "splat" from the bass. The front speakers were replaced with decent 5.25" 2-way pioneers. I have the CDR-220 on its way, which I hope will help dramatically. I realize that these small speakers will never produce a good tight bass sound, but I really want the splat to go away.

The simple question for now is - the Pioneers are wired through the crossovers just like the stock speakers. Would it be better to have the Pioneers bypass the crossover and the tweeters still run through it? Can I just "tee" the wiring that feeds into the crossover from the stereo?

Thanks!
nick
Did you get a 2-way component system from Pioneer or just a 2-way single 5.25" speaker? Model #? I am no expert on the factory car audio system, but I don' think you can simply "tee" into the speaker connections and bypassing the crossover if you are using the factory setup. It would either not work or put excessive load (lowered impedance) to the amp section of the unit.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:48 AM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick,

it' s always better to go through the crossover. Better sound and better speakers protection.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:00 AM
dcbailey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add a separate amp, and use the crossovers that came with the speakers. I replaced just the head unit, and had the same problem you have. I put an amp in, and it responsiveness is much better. I get reasonable bass out of my 5.25" speakers now.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys,
The speakers are Pioneer TS-G1341R. They're two-way single speakers (installed by PO). I'm inclined tojust bypass the crossovers and factory tweeter completely for now and wire the Pioneers directly to the door wiring. This is a temp solution until I replace them with good 6.5" real components (including crossover) and an amp. I've had good luck with Infinity Kappa's in the past and I'm looking at the 6.5" Kappa or Kappa Perfect.

Pars - you're right about the impedance. Adding a second speaker tends to double it I believe, so removing the factory tweeter and just using the Pioneer 2-ways might yield an improvement on its own.

Is there enough space under the passenger seat for a reasonable sized amp? I've only come across trunk installs so far.

The CDR-220 should be arriving shortly which I hope will make some kind of improvement over the original Blau Stuttgart head unit.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 AM
koebel
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question, where do I find the factory installed cross-over. I was not aware there is one present..
Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 AM
dcbailey
Instructor

Mine were in the area between the door pocket and the opening handle. To get to them, you need to take the pocket off. The replacement I had for mine were huge, JL Audio ZR, and I had to carefully remove part of the plastic in the pocket with a Dremel tool, then carefully mount them so that the pocket would fit back on the door fascia. Not difficult, just fiddly. No comparison in quality of crossover.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:48 PM
koebel
Track Day

Guess I will have to get the Phillips out..... Thx!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:20 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

The factory crossovers are screwed to the door panel from the back - so you need to remove the panel. It's easy, just add 5 more minutes to the job.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Seaflat
Instructor

If you are hooking up a standard 2 way speaker, I would think you should totally bypass the crossover. The two way speaker would have one in it. The crossover splits highs to the tweeter and lows to the woofer. If you hook it up after the crossover you would be sending only lows or highs to the speaker that is expecting a full range input. I could be wrong........but that's my 2 cents. It seems like you would want to also disconnect the stock tweeter.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:44 PM
deep_uv
RIP

These threads might help some.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=infinity

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=stereo

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ght=door+panel

Quick Reply: Speaker / crossover wiring