Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this on heater blower tube?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:07 AM
Patrick L
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is this on heater blower tube?

When I changed my ignition iwres last week, I took out the blower tube and found this:

It looks like a resistor inside the tube that melted into the tube. (the red tape is only to mark the connector) Since it looked like burnt, I took it out and covered the hole with tape. What's the purpose of this resistor? Any effect if took it out? And why is it burnt like this? (My cas has no heater as I already took out the steel heater pipe that connected the heat exchanger to the blower tube. The weather is very hot here in Taiwan...)

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2008, 04:29 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Patrick,

It IS a resistor - it's the resistor which allows the rear blower to operate at slow speed. When the CCU selects slow speed the resistor is switched into the circuit and drops the voltage to the blower motor - hence the slow speed. When it's in circuit it gets VERY hot - which is why it's mounted in the cooling air flow. The later versions of the resistor also have a bi-metal strip protection to avoid it over heating.

I suspect the reason it's melted is that it's an early version without the cut-out. They have, apparently, been known to cause fires in the engine compartment.

Regards

Dave
Old 07-09-2008, 04:38 AM
Christoph964
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autsch, this is burnt, and I recommend to change it. It consits of a printed circuit board, coil, a resistor and a "bi-metal-switch". With this the engine blower will switched on and off. The cost for change will be approx 100 € ~ 4772 Taiwan Dollar (hopefully the currency calculator work correct) for items and labour at a Porsche dealer in Germany 3 years ago.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Patrick L
Instructor

Originally Posted by Christoph964
Autsch, this is burnt, and I recommend to change it. It consits of a printed circuit board, coil, a resistor and a "bi-metal-switch". With this the engine blower will switched on and off. The cost for change will be approx 100 € ~ 4772 Taiwan Dollar (hopefully the currency calculator work correct) for items and labour at a Porsche dealer in Germany 3 years ago.
That small resistor costs 100euro! I will consider to remove the blower and block the tube since I don't need heat. Can I just take everything out and block the hole at engine shroud? (maybe drill a small hole for distributor and rear lamp vents) It should save me 100euro and also some weights...

Thank god my car didn't catch fire...that's horrible!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Patrick,

When I bought mine in the UK 2 or 3 years ago the new style resistor was around £12 + VAT. I think the previous poster was quoting parts + labour for the change to be done by a dealer. As you've already discovered, changing the resitor yourself is a 5 minute job.

Regards

Dave
Old 03-30-2010, 08:11 AM
CBR786
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

READ this post rang main dealer OPC quoted registration number 2 OUT standing warranty issue's recall.. so they are booking car in ordering the parts resistor and steering shaft thingy not very technical I know but something to do with steering.
The best thing is all done Free of charge labour and parts so if my engine catches fire after I can sue them hee hee also I get courtesy P car (997 for the day it is booked in )

hooray for warranty recalls

My car LHD 964 C2 California export to the UK

Quick Reply: What is this on heater blower tube?