Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9M USA Dyno Chart

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008 | 10:00 PM
N51
Drifting

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Theory is one thing, cost constraints and the real world environment is another. This is the only comment I'm going to make on the subject of knocking. If someone has developed a Motronic solution with knock control etc, please start a thread on the before and after results. I'd be happy to see and discuss them. To date, I've not see them other than John Vitesse's MAF conversion.
Hi Geoffrey,

It was not I, but Bill, who promoted and interjected his thought of Motronic and its' knock sensor solutions. Perhaps Bill is contemplating turning Pro. Or just being another 993 owner.

I do not like censorship. While we have our differences, I encourage you to be a full participant. I get to learn.
Old 07-14-2008 | 07:23 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Bottom line: An engine developed without knock sensors will basically never
produce maximum torque, i.e. because of the compromised tuning, and will
always have the risk of detonation.
Loren,
We are all dying to see the before and after power graphs of a 964 engine that you have tuned with the stock Motronic management system to prove your point. Come on, don't be shy, start your own thread if necessary.
Old 07-17-2008 | 09:34 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, I'm a believer. Spent A couple of hours w/ Geoffrey and his newest creation. What a fabulous package, doesn't matter if it has knock sensors or not. It pulls like a 3.8RS or GT3, isn't finicky at all, has a great idle & pulls from absurdly low revs(which I couldn't believe given the cam specs). I'm sold!!

It's not just the Motec EFI though it's the package of Motec, cams, heads/valves, Fabspeed headers, 9M adapters and attention to detail upon assembly. This thing even has stock emission pistons fer crisake.

Now, excuse me, while I make arrangements w/ the Devil to finance it.
Old 07-17-2008 | 09:47 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Bill, if you think that is impressive you should see his 964 RSR clone racer. It runs on pump gas, and out pulls all the 110 leaded race engines. The thing is just sick.
Old 07-17-2008 | 10:06 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Bill, if you think that is impressive you should see his 964 RSR clone racer. It runs on pump gas, and out pulls all the 110 leaded race engines. The thing is just sick.
I've seen it and am familar w/ it.

My goal is that motor or one like it. The impressive thing about the current project is that it was done w/ the existing single plenum intake and stock bottom end(crank, rods p/c) not ITBs. The package is truely remarkable!
Old 07-17-2008 | 10:07 PM
shockm
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Ok, I'm a believer. Spent A couple of hours w/ Geoffrey and his newest creation. What a fabulous package, doesn't matter if it has knock sensors or not. It pulls like a 3.8RS or GT3, isn't finicky at all, has a great idle & pulls from absurdly low revs(which I couldn't believe given the cam specs). I'm sold!!

It's not just the Motec EFI though it's the package of Motec, cams, heads/valves, Fabspeed headers, 9M adapters and attention to detail upon assembly. This thing even has stock emission pistons fer crisake.

Now, excuse me, while I make arrangements w/ the Devil to finance it.
Bill, how does she look? I'm jealous, you've seen it before me. I'm picking it up next Fri. Can't wait!!!
Old 07-17-2008 | 10:57 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

It is really Tom from Advanced Auto's attention to detail, he handled most all of the mechanicals on this project.
Old 07-18-2008 | 08:12 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shockm
Bill, how does she look? I'm jealous, you've seen it before me. I'm picking it up next Fri. Can't wait!!!
Looks, rides and runs great! You've got a very nice setup! Wish I took some pics

I also liked the cage, what brand? I've always shied away from cages because on ingress/egress issues, Your's is fine in that regard

The Fabspeed header/muffler was also impressive. It's hard to get that type of exhaust reasonably quite and still sound good, I may have to get one for my '76
Old 07-18-2008 | 08:14 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
It is really Tom from Advanced Auto's attention to detail, he handled most all of the mechanicals on this project.
Yes, Tom's knowledge and skill and friendliness are also impressive. He may have solved an issue that i've been having just as a result of casual conversation.
Old 07-18-2008 | 08:47 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Can't wait to see that car Geoffrey, I'll try to bring you the bumperettes as well tomorrow if I can find them...
Old 07-18-2008 | 05:04 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Just to expand a little on Bill's comments. I spent about 3 hours on the dyno tuning the engine to run at all of the operating points for ignition timing and fuel requirements. After the dyno session the engine mapping needs to be validated. The process I use is to drive the car under as many of the different areas as I can find and then refine the map accordingly. I invited Bill to come with me on the second drive and see how the process works, what the software looks like and what tools are available for assistance with mapping. One of the tests I do is to put the car in 5th gear at idle RPM, in this case 900rpm and accelerate with full throttle. The car must pull cleanly and this one does. I'll spend another several drive cycles refining the map and it should be spot on to where I want it operating.
Old 07-18-2008 | 05:27 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Great work Geoffrey and enviable results.
If I was starting my conversion instead of finishing, there would be no hesitation in the path I'd choose.
Old 07-18-2008 | 05:29 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Its never too late to add MoTeC...
Old 07-18-2008 | 05:38 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

True dat . . . could be in my future.
Old 07-18-2008 | 06:08 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member