Motons, JRZ, Fox, Cross and why

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 04:53 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Motons, JRZ, Fox, Cross and why

What did you choose and why did you decide on that particular suspension change...Are you happy with your decision?
Old 06-21-2008, 10:38 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CROSS. Best value. Adjustable and comes with camber plates for less than $3,000.

Happy, now, but service and quality might be weak points. First set arrived with the incorrect rear shocks--I have an early 964 but they sent the 91-on setup. Unfortunately, the replacement rears were improperly valved--excessively stiff. Finally replaced rears (again) which took a few months to arrive but, now, all is fine.

If I had to do it again, I might opt for a non-adjustable Bilstein Cup setup from SmartRacing with 600/800 springs and be done with it. The extra adjustability cuts into track time as you "figure out" the best settings. If you have ample test & tune opportunities, then it should be no big deal. However, if you simply want to warm up/qualify/race and not worry about "optimal" shock settings, then I'd go for the non-adjustables.

$0.02
Old 06-22-2008, 06:13 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

What else did you consider before taking the plunge? How about the H&R set up?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

On my street car I use H&R Red with Bilstein HD because they give a good compliant sporty ride and the price point is right.

On my race car I use JRZ triples (or Moton, they are basically the same damper) because I need the adjustability. These are good solid units for track usage.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:35 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

How difficult was the install and setup? I am currently considering making a change...i.e. upgrade and was concerned about 3 way adjustable's can easily become to many choices...
Old 06-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had the JIC-Cross suspension for about 5 years and have been happy with it. My skills have advanced and I'm spending more time trying to tweak the suspension to get more out of it, so I'm likely to switch to Motons in the near future (triple-adjustable). My shock potentiometers go on before the race next weekend so I'll be looking at the data from the Cross ...
Old 06-22-2008, 10:03 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sleder
What else did you consider before taking the plunge? How about the H&R set up?
Moton Clubsport was the other option I considered. It was just a bit more money than I cared to spend. The H&R Supercup would be a good, basic package for a track car, too (but it's not cheap).
Old 06-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

In order to get the most out of an adjustable suspension, you need to be very in tune with the car's handling and be able to disect the track and understand what the car is doing vs what you want it to do. You have a number of different choices you can make to solve a problem. Ride height, canister pressure, rebound, low speed compression, high speed compression, main spring rate, tender spring rate, and sway bar settings. Not many club guys can effectively set up a multiway adjustable car. Settings will change from track to track, tire to tire, day to day, so it is not a set it and leave it piece of equipment.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:06 PM
Chulo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
CROSS. Best value. Adjustable and comes with camber plates for less than $3,000.

Happy, now, but service and quality might be weak points. First set arrived with the incorrect rear shocks--I have an early 964 but they sent the 91-on setup. Unfortunately, the replacement rears were improperly valved--excessively stiff. Finally replaced rears (again) which took a few months to arrive but, now, all is fine.

If I had to do it again, I might opt for a non-adjustable Bilstein Cup setup from SmartRacing with 600/800 springs and be done with it. The extra adjustability cuts into track time as you "figure out" the best settings. If you have ample test & tune opportunities, then it should be no big deal. However, if you simply want to warm up/qualify/race and not worry about "optimal" shock settings, then I'd go for the non-adjustables.

$0.02
Come on, Joe... the canisters look cool. Especially the red JRZ's.

Scott - the answer is that a good cup-style setup is probably good enough for most of us. JRZs/Motons will offer a lot more adjustability, if you want to tinker, and they are extremely well built. As Geoffrey said, however, you need to know what's going on to get the most out of it. I'm sure Larry H. will have some comments on this, as well.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:34 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chulo
Come on, Joe... the canisters look cool. Especially the red JRZ's.
No doubt, they're f'n cool looking.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:15 AM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ben you seem to having fun with your addition. Loks good to, with or without the canisters.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Chulo
Racer

Originally Posted by sleder
Ben you seem to having fun with your addition. Loks good to, with or without the canisters.
I am. It's a fun car. I'm still not driving it anywhere near its potential, but I'm having a blast. There's quite a few Chicago guys with 964s that run in G, which makes it even more fun.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Moton Clubsports here. One of my Bilstein PSS-9's blew out and, not being really happy with the Bilstein's valving or spring rates, I thought the Motons would be a good choice for an upgrade. I chose them over JRZ's because I had heard of the exceptional customer service and longevity of the Motons.

I've been incredibly happy with them and think they provide a solid platform in which to grow as a driver and build one's confidence. You need to take copious notes concerning your set up and, as Geoffrey attests, need to be sensitive to the car's dynamics to make worthwhile changes. I had Chris Cervelli tune my car and give me pointers on how to better understand the potential Rubik's cube you can make with an adjustable suspension.

I normally don't make a ton of adjustments at the track since most of the greatest reductions in lap times will come from me, not from adjusting the car to get that last percentage of suspension perfection. YMMV.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Yours must be very similar to mine as Chris set mine up in conjunction with my local guys in Cresson. I am very happy with the Motons as well but need to start tinkering and learning how to adjust them. So far they are so much better than my PSS9s that I am afraid to change anything. 3 seconds a lap better on a short track. I felt slower at that because the car was just so much more controllable. All the monoballs, ERP stuff etc... probably helped as well.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:53 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Scott;

Have you installed the Moton's yet? Any track time with the new setup yet? I'm curious on the impact it's had on handling. Is the difference that profound? My car is getting the Moton upgrade this week. I removed all the rubber bushings and mounts and replaced with Racers Edge stuff 2 years ago. I have Koni coilovers right now but it's time for the upgrade.

Thx.

Quick Reply: Motons, JRZ, Fox, Cross and why