Sponsored by:

First track day with this car

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 02:22 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First track day with this car

In an attempt to become a better driver, I recently picked up an RSA for track use. Had been using an 01 996TT, with some sig mods to the car, and had been doing OK, but come to realize that the horsepower was hiding driving deficiencies. I wanted a more basic car, and tomorrow is the first day on the track with her. Spent last night putting some final "touches" to the car.
The obvious question at this point would be - what's the point of this post? Well - I had to tell someone, and if my wife hears one more word about the car, I have the potential, after many years, of being able to sing suprano again. She was ok (more like tolerant) with my string of motorcycles and cars over the years, but a dedicated track car and consumption of $$ for mods pushed her to the edge. When I told her I needed to use her X5 to pull the car to the track tomorrow (one can onkly put the pieces together for all one "needs" at a certain pace), the line was crossed. We'll be fine - after 35 years we've learned how to dance together. So I know I have to shut up at home, but had to share my excitement with someone. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:25 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

Please deduct 10 points from your man account. Just kidding. Hope you have fun.

Where are you going? PIR?
Old 05-14-2008, 02:30 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

yup on PIR
I am like the fed gov - my account is so negative it doesn't matter anymore
Old 05-14-2008, 03:41 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

I live right by there. Someone on the BMW page is offering up their spot for free. Too bad I don't have a roll bar and don't yet qualify for group b.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Enjoy and report back here- especially if you burn up the X5 transmission; its not Ram Tough you know.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:55 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you will enjoy the new experience immensely. With the TT you will drive very fast and the car will sort things out for you. With the 964 you'll drive less fast but it will be up to you do all the sorting out. You will find the latter very satisfying in my experience
Old 05-15-2008, 02:21 AM
MorganB1
Advanced

Hi Rich,

I track an RSA at PIR -Portland. There are a few of us down here with 964's.

Let us know if you ever head on down. They just re-surfaced the whole track and reconfigured the turns leading to the back straight. It is all smooth as glass!

-Morgan
Old 05-15-2008, 03:34 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking forward to your update.... I "DE" my GT3 and am very interested in picking up an RSA as a second DE car... It was my dream DE car back in the mid-90s, but then that GT3 came along with that sweet engine)

-Blake
Old 05-16-2008, 02:48 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Ritter - X5 survived. Flipped it to manual mode, and it did fine

Steve - I loved the new experience - actually not new for someone of my age, just different than recent experience. Car is NOT slow. I am in the yellow group in our region - one level below the advanced/instructors. I do not let my ego get in the way on the track, and have no problem letting people pass me. I let one car pass in the four runs. Further details latter

Morgan - I definately want to get to Portland. Hear great things about that track.

Blake - Do it. If serious about it, PM me. The brother to mine is available.

Now for the full deatails. Engine is stock. Headers, single exhaust can, Bilstein cup suspension, monoballs, regeared transmission with steel syncros, new set of Hoosiers.
First run; things start out 5/10. New to car, first time on Hoosiers. Fairly quickly realized that this is a very competent car. Finidshed first run at 7/10. Checked pressures after run, tweeked pressures.
Second run; car is running great, gaining confidence quickly. Passing everyone. Not trying to, just having fun finding where the limits are
third run; running fine. No surprises. You point this car and it goes there. It lacks the raw power of a TT, but I could actually get on gas earlier, and could carry more speed through the backside of the Seattle track - all the curves and altitude changes are on the backside. Having some serious fun
Fourth and final run; the fun continues I am first out of the gate, followed by a newish Ferrari, and another RSA. We are having fun together. Lapping the field together. We probable were into either lap 5 or 6, with me leading us out of a long sweeping turn. I slightly missed the apex and soon realized that I was going to run out of track. I knew enough not to LIFT, but figured I better ease off a little on the throttle. Big mistake. Tail went left, then right, then I lost it. At leat one full 360 rotation. Saw the Ferrari go high past me and the white RSA went low. The RSA was further into the green stuff further than I was. He suffered the only casualty - lost a lense on a front side marker. We both rolled to a stop, collected our wits, and drove into the pits. I talked with the driver of the RSA, and we were cool. The Ferrari driver was gone - quickly.
This event would not have happened with the TT. The car would have bailed me out, and I would have thought I was a really good driver. BS
Talking about the event with a couple of experienced drivers, I got a really good tip. The problem was that I was committed. Keep on the gas, and I go off, feather the gas pedal and pirouette. The proposed answer is left foot braking. Makes sense to me - time to learn something new.

All in all - fabulous car, handling characteristcs that are exactly what I was looking for. It is hard to believe that this car is 15 years old.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:58 AM
h20skier
Instructor

congrats on a great car. RSA's are the best thing you can track except the GT3 Cup. Keep up the practice and you'll lap all the guys that can't drive but have the TT to make up for it on the straights
Old 05-16-2008, 05:02 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great to hear that the RSA has already proved in one day that it will provide you with what you're looking for from a P car on the track. They get better every time out in my experience

p.s. I meant new to tracking the RSA and how it would compare to the TT not new to tracking - apols for the confusion
Old 05-16-2008, 07:18 AM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Tarzan say: "RSA...Track...Goood"
Old 05-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I got back into tracking with 997S which made me appear a better driver than I am. The car is very forgiving with aids to bail you out when you overcook things.

Since going to 964s I'm probably slower in E/T but become a better driver. Don't get me wrong; I still stink, just less than before. I think that aside from being a very fun car, the 964 is great to hone your skills.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:35 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

The 964 really is a great track car. They are pretty nice cars to drive to the track as well, I drove mine on MPSC and later on the wonderful RA1s.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kgorman
The 964 really is a great track car. They are pretty nice cars to drive to the track as well, I drove mine on MPSC and later on the wonderful RA1s.
So whats with the Boxster then, hmm?

Quick Reply: First track day with this car