Sponsored by:

OT: My new garage build

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:18 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's bigger than my house......

Although I have to say, having a triple garage that's attached to the house "but full of my wife's stuff" is surely grounds for divorce!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:52 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Marc,

Surely there is room in there for a proper 2 post hydraulic lift? All that space just for your bend-pak scissor lift.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:31 PM
mustybus
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc: You'll love the in-floor heat. We did the exact same setup with pex in the floor hooked up directly to a gas-fired hot water tank. No need for a pump - convection moves the water/glycol through the system. Nothing like laying under a car on a warm floor for the old arthritic joints, or hosing out the garage have having steam rise up and the floor dry almost immediately.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:43 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a suggestion, consider running PVC from your compressor location to various places in the walls. You can put a quick-connect to plug an air hose in so that you don't have to drap a hose around the car or other obstables. I like the overhead style and I have one but I like having a connector towards the doors and along side the walls.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey wait a sec Mustybus , you can't just slip in like that .

Who what where and most importantly , is your 964 GP White or what ?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up

Marc,

Good for you!!! Great project.

Just a few comments. If you knew you were doing this, why the sissor lift and not a two post unit??

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Cordless phone
2. Speakerphone
3. Two-Post Asymmetric Clear Floor Auto Lift
4. DVD/VCR/TV so that you can watch instructional videos on tuning engines, etc
5. Lights in the floor for when working under the car.
6. A nice big tool case with wheels on it (in addition to the ones that are fixed)
7. Refrigerator for cold refreshments
8. Wash-up sink
9. Parts washer sink
10. Computer complete with digital camera, manuals on CD-ROM, and internet connection
11. Non-skid tiled floor
12. Carpets/rugs to check for leaks and keep mess off of tiled floor
13. Air compressor, air tools, and air lines reels hanging from the ceiling
14. Several high-powered lights and low temp work light (fluorescent)
15. Mig/Tig welder, heat gun, and acetylene torch
16. Drawer with a few pairs of coveralls in there so you don't go through clothes all the time. Unless you are like me and use old polo shirts, shorts, black socks, and sperrys when working on the car.
17. Oscilloscope, digital multimeter, digital micrometer, digital calipers, diagnostic computer, and temperature probe/sensor
18. Fireproof cabinet for cleaning chemicals
19. HUGE fan (to cool down engine, exhaust, etc and to get fumes out of garage
20. Hole drilled in garage door, and tube to use to expel exhaust gases from garage in winter
21. A TON of Porsche posters, flags, toys, etc
22. Drill press, drills, electric saws, grinder, polisher/buffer, and other electric tools
23. Alarm system (to keep out intruders!!!)
24. Engine stand
25. Workbench
26. 220V service for the welder (you have this covered with all the outlets you have in there). I would add a couple of the electrical reels from the ceiling.
27. Full bathroom with shower
28. EVERY garage MUST contain at least ONE "pinup" calendar that the wife/girlfriend/significant other does not approve of! This is a MUST! No respectable garage is without one! These are the rules and we as car enthusiasts must adhere to them! It does not have to be Playboy or something like that, but bikini-clad women in/around/near sports cars or on beaches is a requisite. This is age-old tradition so don't question it! Ok, ok. I will be the first one to admit that my garage does not have this because the last thing I want is my daughter to ask me why I have that in the garage... thus I have it inside the tool box

29. For the air compressor. Instead of installing that inside the garage and going deaf when it turns on, install it outside, inside a vented and noise-reduction/insulated-fitted enclosure (so neighbors don’t complain). All this integrated to the outside design of the garage so that it did not stick out and be an eyesore…

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Since moving west to Alberta from New Brunswick (Canada, if you are now reaching for an atlas), I have sorely missed my 27'x29'x9' garage.

Well, I am please to say we just started work on a new detached 30'x32'x12' garage here in Alberta -- our house has an attached triple garage but it is full of my wife's stuff so I need my own space!

The new garage will be a two story with an insulated/heated ground floor workshop with an unheated second story for storage.

The original plan calls for 2 x 9' wide doors and a 8' 6" ceiling but I will be using one 16'x9' door with a 36" man door. The ceiling will be 11'6" (as the county regulations say you can't be over 12' from foundation to eves). I'll run PEX tubing in the slab for heat but, for the moment, a forced air propane heater will have to do to keep costs down.

I've attached a few of my specs as well as plans and photos, if you're interested. I posted to Garage Journal too for their expert feedback.

I'll post more once I have some progress to report.

Marc

Structural
5” 4000 psi concrete slab floor with thickened (6”) pads for car lift
slope concrete floor to front door for drainage (1” per 20’)
no drain in garage floor
garage door notch for weather-proofing
rough in ½” PEX for in-floor heat
rough-in plumbing and drain (3/4” water supply) for sink and for outside tap by garage door
enlargement of ground-floor window on right-hand wall seen on plan
11' ceiling on main floor
16' x 9' insulated door w/high rails & LiftMaster 3800 side-mount lift (match house with windows)
natural gas line from house
blocking in ceiling for air hose and electrical extension reels

Electrical
100 amp 220 volt service panel (40 breaker)
30 amp 110/220 volt circuit for lift in ceiling
30 amp 220 volt circuit for welder along back wall
30 amp 220 volt circuit as spare along back wall
30 amp 110/220 volt switched outlet under stairs for compressor
20 amp 110 volt circuit for a/c by left-hand window
20 amp 110 volt outlets in ceiling for lift, drop lines, ceiling fans, and air filter
15 amp 110 volt GFI outlets outside on each side of garage door
10 amp 110 volt outlet for exhaust fan by left hand window
10 amp 110 volt outlet for attic fan
10 amp 110 volt outlets on ceiling (unswitched)
110 volt GFI outlets at 48-52” height using double gang boxes
located every 4’ around garage (approx 60 total)
wired duplex on 6 different 20 amp circuits
overhead high-output fluorescent lights (T8 bulbs, 2 per light)
3 rows of lights with 5 lights in each, each row on switched circuit (front/middle/rear)
2 behind staircase
4 above back bench
2 above work bench
switched (non-motion) outside 500w halogen flood light
light outside man-door to match outside lights of house

Other Wiring
wired alarm system (sub-contracted to Bright Knight Industries)
telephone service (run 4 lines)
cable/satellite wired (run 4 lines of coax cable)
Cat-5e network cables (run 4 lines of Cat 5E cable)
wire speakers for 4 in-ceiling speakers with plug-in along back wall
wire video surveillance (power/video lines for 2 cameras)
spare conduit to pull other future cables

Last edited by Wachuko; 05-15-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:56 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Jaime you forgot the bed and small alarm clock Mark will need when his wife divorces him and kicks him out of the house after he install items 1 through 28 on your list and drains the retirement savings! Item 27 covers bathing, maybe a small kitchen unit to complete the apartment, I mean garage.

Last edited by RicardoD; 05-15-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:09 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Marc,

Good for you!!! Great project.

Just a few comments. If you knew you were doing this, why the sissor lift and not a two post unit??

1. Cordless phone
2. Speakerphone
3. Two-Post Asymmetric Clear Floor Auto Lift
4. DVD/VCR/TV so that you can watch instructional videos on tuning engines, etc
5. Lights in the floor for when working under the car.
6. A nice big tool case with wheels on it (in addition to the ones that are fixed)
7. Refrigerator for cold refreshments
8. Wash-up sink
9. Parts washer sink
10. Computer complete with digital camera, manuals on CD-ROM, and internet connection
11. Non-skid tiled floor
12. Carpets/rugs to check for leaks and keep mess off of tiled floor
13. Air compressor, air tools, and air lines reels hanging from the ceiling
14. Several high-powered lights and low temp work light (fluorescent)
15. Mig/Tig welder, heat gun, and acetylene torch
16. Drawer with a few pairs of coveralls in there so you don't go through clothes all the time. Unless you are like me and use old polo shirts, shorts, black socks, and sperrys when working on the car.
17. Oscilloscope, digital multimeter, digital micrometer, digital calipers, diagnostic computer, and temperature probe/sensor
18. Fireproof cabinet for cleaning chemicals
19. HUGE fan (to cool down engine, exhaust, etc and to get fumes out of garage
20. Hole drilled in garage door, and tube to use to expel exhaust gases from garage in winter
21. A TON of Porsche posters, flags, toys, etc
22. Drill press, drills, electric saws, grinder, polisher/buffer, and other electric tools
23. Alarm system (to keep out intruders!!!)
24. Engine stand
25. Workbench
26. 220V service for the welder (you have this covered with all the outlets you have in there). I would add a couple of the electrical reels from the ceiling.
27. Full bathroom with shower
28. EVERY garage MUST contain at least ONE "pinup" calendar that the wife/girlfriend/significant other does not approve of! This is a MUST! No respectable garage is without one! These are the rules and we as car enthusiasts must adhere to them! It does not have to be Playboy or something like that, but bikini-clad women in/around/near sports cars or on beaches is a requisite. This is age-old tradition so don't question it! Ok, ok. I will be the first one to admit that my garage does not have this because the last thing I want is my daughter to ask me why I have that in the garage... thus I have it inside the tool box

LMAO!!! Perfect, Jaime. Especially #27 and #28!
Old 05-15-2008, 03:02 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Marc,

Congrats, keep the pics coming!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:06 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Marc,

1. Cordless phone
2. Speakerphone...
---
5. Lights in the floor...

You think massive, compadre, I'll give you that!
(Marc's plans sound good to me, too.)

So basically, Jaime, what you had in mind was something like this (& a few friends to help, of course)...

Attachment 277889

Maybe a little storage cubbyhole, or two, for the odd brake rotor...

Attachment 277891

Last edited by elbeee964; 06-21-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by elbeee964

You think massive, compadre, I'll give you that!
(Marc's plans sound good to me, too.)

So basically, Jaime, what you had in mind was something like this (& a few friends to help, of course)...

Attachment 277889

Maybe a little storage cubbyhole, or two, for the odd brake rotor...

Attachment 277891

For the last few years I have been putting in a folder ideas for when I build (if I ever do) my dream garage... Here is what I am talking about - look at the I beam in the middle of the lift... this is to move the engine from the car to the bench, also look at the lights in the floor inside the lift... how many time have you been under your car struggling with positioning your light cord??

A bathroom, I just would love to be able to not have to get the house dirty after I work in the cars... so a complete bathroom like the one in this garage (yes, that is a garage) would be nice...

Old 05-15-2008, 11:10 AM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Jaime you forgot the bed and small alarm clock Mark will need when his wife divorces him and kicks him out of the house after he install items 1 through 28 on your list and drains the retirement savings! Item 27 covers bathing, maybe a small kitchen unit to complete the apartment, I mean garage.
That's the one area I'm covered...I'm about to break ground on a new garage myself....with an upstairs "me" space (office, pool table, bathroom, big flat screen, etc). I may never have to go back inside the main house. Ever.

Though lot issues and idiots at the city forced me to downsize it a bit from my original vision, the new garage is replacing a DIY structure from 1926, which was sized for a pair of Model T Fords, so it will be quite an improvement!

This is a great thread....keep the ideas coming!!! Even the non-serious ones have got me thinking...

Old 05-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cwrm4
That's the one area I'm covered...I'm about to break ground on a new garage myself....with an upstairs "me" space (office, pool table, bathroom, big flat screen, etc). I may never have to go back inside the main house. Ever.

Though lot issues and idiots at the city forced me to downsize it a bit from my original vision, the new garage is replacing a DIY structure from 1926, which was sized for a pair of Model T Fords, so it will be quite an improvement!

This is a great thread....keep the ideas coming!!! Even the non-serious ones have got me thinking...

We have a piece of land where we wanted to build our house... and with that I was going to be able to build my dream workshop. But it turns out my mother-in-law (in-laws live with us) is not too thrilled to move in what she calls "the country", and my wife is a bit concern with the distance to the schools (where we are now the school is less than a mile away). Pretty much, they are happy where we are now. So 7 years later the land sits unused. I even went as far a clearing 2 acres, putting some nice looking white plastic fence, a white plastic shed, etc. to see if they startet to warm up to the idea of doing something there... not a chance. (look at the photos, 2005!, when I cleared the 2 acres and put up the shed and the fence)

Anyway, I have been thinking of just building a workshop with some level of living facilities so we can spend weekends there (even if the house we currently live in is only 1/2 hour away). The worry my wife has now is that if I build it she will never see me, lol. Also, if I start building it then I have to forget about a 993 since the funds would go towards the shop.

Since dreaming does not cost a thing… here it goes:

I would like the workshop to look like an old Spanish villa (tile roof, dark brown wood window frames, dark brown wood garage doors… not sure if you guys have seen the architecture in San Agustin, FL or in Old San Juan, PR… but something along those lines. Inside I would like to have the garage area with a separate A/C unit. Glass walls dividing the living quarters (at least the kitchen and family area) from the garage so I can see the cars while sitting in the family or having something to eat, and two bedrooms (each one with a full bathroom). An additional bathroom in the garage (as the photo shows) that connects to the family so it can be shared with the house (so a total of three bathrooms).

I would like it to be a single story structure but with high ceilings for lift clearance in the garage area. I was thinking of using the area on top of the living area as storage space, and some open floor space for a library, just hanging around area if you will that would be part of the garage and access would be via stairs from the garage to that area.

The garage, as the previous list and photo shows, would be a place that you could live in… tiled, enough receptacles, air points, light, etc. to make it easy to work the cars.

I even built a few (to scale, 1:43 so I could use my 1:43 cars to see how it would look) mock ups of several designs, bought a plan drawing software to play with layouts, etc. Here are two photos of the first rough design... before I got the software and did better layouts...

Again… time goes on, and we have not done a thing towards getting the shop built. So for now it is just a dream…

For now I continue to dream reading and seeing how others, like Marc here, are doing theirs.

So cwrm4, be sure to start a thread to see how your is coming along
Old 05-15-2008, 12:57 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

(Our poor Malaysian condo-owning, JNeteler, is probably sh!++ing bricks over these last three posts...)

Me? I'm just in awe...
Old 05-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

One more suggestion I forgot to include in the list (will edit the post to reflect this).

For the air compressor. Instead of installing that inside the garage and going deaf when it turns on, install it outside, inside a vented and noise-reduction/insulated-fitted enclosure (so neighbors don’t complain). All this integrated to the outside design of the garage so that it did not stick out and be an eyesore…

Quick Reply: OT: My new garage build