Stuck Sunroof cable

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stuck Sunroof cable

finally got around to looking at my sunroof. Removed sunroof, transmission, guide channels and associated hardware, etc. however the passenger side cable appears to be stuck fast. With the transmission uncoupled from the motor shouldn't the cables be loose? HELP, I feel the syndrome coming on....!!!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:39 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

With the transmission uncoupled it should be free. Try turning it. It's basically a threaded, flexible rod. Maybe it's stuck on something and you can unscrew it?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Its absolutely solid!!! Any ideas where it could get stuck? Its the strangest thing. I'm wondering if water could get into the tube and rust it solid somewhere?

Last edited by Kahdmus; 05-04-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
I'm wondering if water could get into the tube and rust it solid somewhere?
Yup, it appears this is exactly what has happened. removed the tubes (and torn my headliner..almost cried!) ts solid as a rock...sprayed in some penetratng oil and gonna see if I can loosen it.

Part of me doesn't really care now Ive damaged my headlner...
Old 05-04-2008, 11:14 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

So sorry to hear that. I know the feeling. I tore my sunroof liner due to poor workmanship on someone else's part. I have a cobalt blue headliner and it can not be sourced. I'm going to put in a black piece for the sunroof liner as the interior is a combination of black and this cobalt blue anyway.

Hope you have better luck than I did.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sunroof liner I wouldn't bat an eye at....the headliner is surely one of the hardest things to refresh on the whole car??!

Nowhere can make you a blue one? That is bad news!
Old 05-05-2008, 12:33 AM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

You guys got any instructions or a link on pulling the sunroof out with tearing the headliner? My headliner on my sunroof is sagging and its on my list of things to fix. Just need to re-apply adhesive to the back side and re-stick to the roof.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I have a sagging sunroof liner too. I bookmarked this thread a while ago so I have instructions on how to do it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...+sunroof+liner
Old 05-05-2008, 08:50 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Kahdmus, I do recognize that the headliner and the sunroof liner are wholly different things. Even without being able to replace my sunroof liner I'm really (really!) pleased that it wasn't the headliner! And, no, the cobalt blue can not be sourced. At least, my concerted efforts turned up nothing by dead ends and assurances that it was not available here, or in Germany.

As for removal of the sunroof headliner, it should come out fairly easily without any tares. Mine was stuck because a body shop installed it incorrectly. I had a rust spot removed from around my windshield and they pulled the sunroof in the process to match the paint.

The sag in the sunroof liner is easy to fix. The line of stitching that you see running across the sunroof liner is for a tab of fabric that gets tucked up through a slot in the metal backing to the liner. It is then glued down on the other side. This glue gives up after all these years and the liner falls. Just re-glue the tab and you should be all set. I expect a simple rubber cement ought to do the job. Or, perhaps, one of those 3M wonder tubes for weather stripping and the like.

Quick Reply: Stuck Sunroof cable