Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data Acquisition - What do you like?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:04 PM
CB Red 964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data Acquisition - What do you like?

Time to drop some more cash into the track car. Need to add a data aquisition system to shave off those last few tenths. (OK, I have more than a few to shave).

Anyone have good/bad feedback on different systems?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I like MoTeC.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a Traqmate for a year to get an introduction to data systems and to see if I would actually use it and, if used, if it would help. I did use it, and it did help. I quickly became frustrated with lack of meaningful data and added rpm but never got around to adding the throttle position or brake pressure (time and money and I was already planning the replacement). Traqmate is very simple, easy to use and cheap. MAke sure you add rpm and throttle position as a minimum. Brake pressure would be good too.

I now have a MoTeC system. I chose it because I already had MoTeC for the ECU and I wanted to replace all the stock gauges with a digital dash. I could use the existing sensors for the ECU in conjunction with the dash and acquisition system. I talked to folk about the two primary choices (MoTeC or Aim) and chose MoTeC as the consultants (Veracity Racing Data) said the system that has the most issues is the Aim and they wouldn't trust it if I did not have any other gauges. The MoTeC cost more, but, wow, the things you can get out of the software.

MoTeC is not simple. I had Dave and Ellen Ferguson (Veracity) take care of all the wiring and initial set-up. They were/are superb. I had a 4 hour tutorial on i2 Pro earlier this week and it addressed all my concerns with the software and getting functional with it. The Dash is easy to program and amazing in it's flexibility. If you are good with computers, it's a great system. If you struggle with computers, I would look at something easier (and cheaper) to start with.

A few of the nice things I'm starting to use with the MoTeC:

Real time input on how you did on the last turn. Sure it's nice at the end of the day to look at sector times and see what minimum speed you had in various corners. With the MoTeC you get the minimum speed as soon as the corner is over (mine's programmed to show it as soon as you hit a straight and start looking for the new minimum as soon as you start a turn). You know immediately how well you did compared to the past and what it felt like.

Predictive lap timing. Am I going faster than my target lap time or slower? It can calculate and display your delta (fater or slower) as well as the lap time.

Brake pressure. I no longer have ABS but have a Tilton dual master cylinder system with adjustable bias. I have sensors on both front and rear brakes which has made bias adjustment much more simple. While I don't drive in the rain, I'm told that once you have the bias set for dry or rain, it's trivial to adjust back and forth to hit what you want. It's easy to have i2 Pro calculate the percent of maximum braking to look at how you are applying the brakes in the various braking zones.

I guess you can tell I think the MoTeC was worth the money ...
Old 04-26-2008, 12:56 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Very fascinating, didn't know the MoTec could do so much. I don't know much about these things but I've seen a few use DL1. You can't review on the spot since their is no screen but according to those who use it, it's a well made product.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out some of my Racecar Project posts for some screen shots of what capability MoTeC has.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:17 AM
CB Red 964
Advanced

Thanks Tom W for the thorough feedback. I will definitely look at the MoTeC. I had the feeling that Traqmate was not the way to go.

I do plan on keeping the stock guages for the time being.

Anyone have experience and comparative notes on the AIM system. My local mech recommends AIM but I have not asked him about MoTeC.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:05 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 798 Likes on 404 Posts

I have owned a DL90 (prior version of the DL1) and current use a G2X. I've looked into Motec and Traqmate, but never really used either.

Traqmate
Traqmate seems to have the best software for the average user. The ability to synch the video right in the data application would be quote useful. Downside of Traqmate is it can accept only 4 input sensors, the display dash is too small and hard to real, and the software does not do real math functions. System cost ranges from $1000 for the basic setup with dash to $3k for the dual camera integrated video.

G2X and IQ3
The G2X is what I currently use. The dash display is really nice and bright. The unit can accept a ton of sensors, so you can have any input you want. Downsides are that the sensors are proprietary and quite expensive, the software though a bit more powerful than traqmate is hard to learn, and it has only a few math functions. It also does not have the ability to see your video in the analysis software. The G2X has now been replaced by the IQ3, which has a "motec style" dash. The new system is $1400 for the basic system without an extra sensors like throttle position, steering angle.

DL1
The DL1 is very similar to the G2X in function, except the dash is even better. The software is a bit easier to use. The UK exchange rate makes this a pretty expensive option at around $1600 for the basic system with dash.

Motec
Motec is the real deal, pro level system. The dash is really good, and the software is amazing. Downsides are it is extremely expensive (your talking at least $5k to get a system that really uses the capabilities) and the software is designed for pro data engineers.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:50 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Curently using a DL1 and will add Video4 in the next month or so. Happy with what I have, but just starting to use it as a learning tool. Have the brake pressure sensor, steering angle, and throttle sesors. Do not have a DASH as yet.

Quick Reply: Data Acquisition - What do you like?