Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension HR Springs Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:06 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Good timing on this thread. I am about to purchase HR springs and Bilstein HDs. But I keep waffling back and forth between getting the Reds (turbo springs) or the Greens. I've heard great comments about both.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:23 PM
AB-Oz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey RicardoD, let me know if you find a good price on some greens!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:23 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Tirerack right now is giving me the best price for Greens + Bilstein HD shocks. I am close to their warehouse so shipping is much better as well.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:38 PM
AB-Oz
Instructor

Thanks mate, I've just sent them an email asking if they will ship to Australia. A lot of US online shops dont, the customs form is too hard to fill in apparently.

[EDIT] Nate from the TireRack got back to me, $447USD shipped, about $470 Oz Rahzoos. Now all i have to do is work out if I need this or only just want it

Last edited by AB-Oz; 04-17-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:22 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

Just received a set of Greens from Tire Rack. $328.00 delivered, and they arrived less than 24 hours after I placed the order...
If you want Reds, just order for the 965 - they have both...
Old 05-20-2008, 03:51 PM
9six4
Racer

I bought H&R greens and Bilstein HD from shox.com (no affil etc) for $1051 shipped to Niagara Falls last week. I have been watching the pricing for a while and that seemed like a reasonable deal. The car will be used for some DE, but still on the street with my 18 month old son in the back, so I didn't want too firm a ride. The stock struts were totally shot at 78000 miles as were the tie rods and drop links, so I'm looking forward to the improvement.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:05 PM
akmarocco
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Bilstein HD's and H and R Greens put on, all from tirerack... what a difference. The car is great around town and totally trackable.... even looks great with the lowered stance. I followed a previous thread here on this topic and i was absolutely pleased with the result. Car is tight and corners beautifully, quite tolerable on the pocked streets of Cleveland OH.

Avi
Old 05-20-2008, 05:16 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

Tire Rack had them a little cheaper than Shox. So I got springs from them, and got the shocks from... well, Shox...
Total spent - $1032.00
Old 05-21-2008, 07:00 AM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

I'm about to get my lower wishbone bushes sorted.
I want to do the suspension at some point, mainly because I don't like the nose up look at the front of the car. Alas, I can't really afford to do everything, so have wondered whether to just put on lowering springs, but not replace the original dampers. The car has 87k miles, and I'm mainly happy with the handling.
has anyone done this, or is it really not a good idea?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Craig,

The "nose up" attitude is a good sign that the original rear springs have sagged - a common problem with the weight biased towards the back as it is.

I had my H&R Green springs fitted a couple of years ago - with the original shocks retained. It was a big improvement although not as good as when I finally got around to fitting the Bilsteins last year.

The only real downside - assuming the original shocks are not leaking and are functional - is that you land up paying for an alignment again when you DO get the shocks done. Decent progressive springs certainly are a huge improvement - particularly when compared to shot rears!! The "normal" stance of the car should be slightly nose down (a degree or so) but as the rear springs sag the nose seems to come up.

Given that the springs will cost you a couple of hundred (££) and a decent alignment much the same you could buy a set of Bilsteins at a decent price in the US and save the cost of the second alignment. Your choice but having done it personally the "wrong" way I know what I'D do next time!!

Regards

Dave
Old 05-21-2008, 07:37 PM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

Dave, thanks, that's good advice.
I looked on Pelican and the bilsteins look a lot cheaper there, thatn here in the UK. Does anyone have any idea of shipping costs and import duty?
Old 05-22-2008, 02:56 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Craig,

I bought my Bilsteins from Pelican back in November last year. They charged me $123 shipping via USPS. Arrival in the UK through Parcelforce and I was lucky to escape the VAT and duty charge completely. You can't guarantee that you'll be lucky every time though!! The total for 2 fronts and 2 rears + shipping was $888 - way cheaper than I could get in the UK or Europe.

I would give you one word of warning though. One person I know in the UK did the same and Pelican screwed him up by shipping non-matching front/rears - they had hugely different manufacturing dates - so I'd suggest you check with Pelican first. I believe Shox in the US also do some good prices.

USPS is without doubt the cheapest way to get them here - and if you get lucky with Customs so much the better.

Regards

Dave
Old 05-22-2008, 05:45 AM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

Dave,

I hope some head honcho customs officer isn't a rennlister!

Should customs get hold of it, it should just be 17.5% then? Still a lot cheaper than buying them here.

Last edited by CraigyB; 05-22-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Craig,

Officially I think there is an import duty of around 3% plus the 17.5% VAT on everything, including the carriage charge. I have no idea why some shipments get charged and others don't. Most if the big name carriers like UPS, DHL and FedEx seem to always charge but Parcelforce seem to avoid it sometimes.

Dave

Quick Reply: Suspension HR Springs Question