Sponsored by:

Whining Noise; rt side of engine after belt change

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:02 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Whining Noise; rt side of engine after belt change

Last week I paid a reputable Porsche shop to change my belts and oil (I know, I know...but I have just been too busy with work lately to do anything myself).

I now have a load whining noise from the right side of the engine. I can't seem to pinpoin its exact location. I don't remember ever hearing that noise before.

It is rpm dependent and the whine starts at about 2000 rpm, increasing in pitch as the rpm increases. Same noise whether the car is moving or stopped; same noise whether the AC is on or off.

The belt tensions seem proper to me, and the car only has 50k on it so I would be surprised if it was already an alternator or ps pump bearing. Any ideas?
Old 04-05-2008, 03:17 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cwrm4

Was the whining noise there before the belts were changed?
If not, and since you have limited time on your hands take it back to the shop.
If it was there before and youv'e lost faith in the shop and willing to do some diagnosis work, remove one belt at a time and see if the whinning goes away.

Hope this helps
Bill
90C2
Old 04-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I would double check that your power steering fluid reservoir is full. You may be hearing the power steering pump cavitating. Otherwise, I would take the car back to your mechanic.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:43 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

cwrm4

The ps belt is a cogged belt and you may just be hearing the belt breaking in or if they opened the lines on the ps pump some air may have gotten in. In which case a couple full left/right stop to stop movements of the steering may purge the air of the system.

Hope this helps
Bill
90C2
Old 04-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Seaflat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I would double check that your power steering fluid reservoir is full. You may be hearing the power steering pump cavitating. Otherwise, I would take the car back to your mechanic.
I had this happen to me and it sounded like a belt. See if its foamy. But if it's not that and it wasn't there before and you paid for the service ...make them fix it.

One more guess. After I had my belts changed a few months later my fan hub started going and that was a constant whir. You can check to see if there is any scoring on your fan housing at the bottom. You can search on fan hub and find my thread (I can't figure out how to quote from another thread or I would give it to you)
Old 04-05-2008, 05:18 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Check the belt tension sensor. As they age, they begin to whine. I've had mine off a couple of times to clean and oil. It works for a while. I've purchased a replacement ~$60, if I recall correctly, but haven't installed it yet. That expenditure seems to have quieted things down; of course.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:26 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for all the help...I did finally positively ID the PS pump as the source of the whine. The reservoir is full, with no bubbles, but executing the bleed procedure seems to have corrected it for now. I didn't think however that you had to disconnect the ps pump lines to change the belts, so who knows. The shop didn't reattach the heater plenum shroud, and the air filter was seated incorrectly, so it makes me wonder...

Now, though, with the whine gone, I've got a high-pitched, rpm dependent whistling noise eminating from the engine! It seems to occur after about 30 minutes of driving. It happened on the last two drives. I could hear it at idle while at a stop on the road, but couldn't get it to make the whistling noise while in the driveway. This I'm guessing may be the belt sensor (?).

I go through this cycle every few years...I finally relent and let someone work on one of my (out-of-warranty) cars, and then EVERY time the cars seem to come back with more issues than before I took them in!
Old 04-07-2008, 05:04 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cwrm4
...I go through this cycle every few years...I finally relent and let someone work on one of my (out-of-warranty) cars, and then EVERY time the cars seem to come back with more issues than before I took them in!
I have the same experience. Thanks for the reminder, my DIY resolve is affirmed. Now if I could just find some time...
Old 04-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Seaflat
Instructor

Originally Posted by cwrm4

Now, though, with the whine gone, I've got a high-pitched, rpm dependent whistling noise eminating from the engine! It seems to occur after about 30 minutes of driving. It happened on the last two drives. I could hear it at idle while at a stop on the road, but couldn't get it to make the whistling noise while in the driveway. This I'm guessing may be the belt sensor (?).

!
You can take a zip tie and tie the belt sensor back off the belt and see if that fixes it. If it does there is a dyi on here somewhere for how to fix the wheel from whining.

Quick Reply: Whining Noise; rt side of engine after belt change