Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sears ATV jack question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Sears ATV jack question

Whoever has dropped their engine with a sears ATV jack please help me. Tommorow i want to drop my engine finally, I AM TERRIFIED!!! The ATV jack is going to go under the engine basically towards the front but not under the transmission. Its the only way i can see how to utilize it. Im worried about the engine rotating downward (the transmission rotating down and hitting the floor) because the transmission itself will just be hanging off the front of the jack. Can you picture what i am saying. So if anyone has used one of these can you tell me how you did it.

Thanks
JERRY
Old 03-02-2008, 08:25 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I can only tell you that with a C2 you will be fine, unfortunately I've never tried the ATV jack with a C4. If you place the engine on the jack similar to the image below than you can drag the powertrain around the garage/driveway/yard without issue.
To separate the two pieces I (obviously) used another furniture dolly.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't worry, you can use a standard jack with the 4" diameter pad and balance the entire engine/trans combination. Just have it right under the back of the engine.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Back of the engine?? Like towards front of car or rear???

Unfortunately i dont have the nice heater boxes as a stabilizer i had to take mine off to be repaired and i didnt want to support engine with the heater boxes on the GHL system they look so fragile, so i will be jacking under the case webbing, i built a wooden structure (similar to yours jason) to cradle the engine so it wont lean left or right to much.

Anymore info would be great !!!

Thanks Alot guys

JERRY
Old 03-02-2008, 11:07 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Jerry:

I have not dropped a 964 engine let alone a turbo, but I have dropped several 911 engines using nothing but a Sears trolly jack. For safety I always used wood cribbing (stacked lumber) to help support the engine and catch it if anything slips. If your jack looks anything like Jason's, all you need to do is stack the lumber to support the engine well enough to keep it from tipping.

You are dealing with a lot of weight, so you are correct to be concerned. Don't loosen anything until you are sure you have every possibility accounted for, and have a plan to deal with it. Practice raising an lowering the car from the jack point on the trailing arm to get the feel for operating the jack. Have stands under the rear jack points - that keeps the rear springs from causing problems.

I have a load of lumber I can bring over if you need some help. If you are feeling stressed, spend more time working on your system until you feel completely comfortable. I have known people who came to grief pulling engines, but only because they took unnecessary chances. This job can be done safely. Take care!
Old 03-03-2008, 01:33 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Don't worry, you can use a standard jack with the 4" diameter pad and balance the entire engine/trans combination. Just have it right under the back of the engine.
Geoffrey is spot on -- with the exhaust system still on the engine, you cant get the ATV jack far enough forward to balance the system completely. The help of a floor jack under the gbx is needed.

Here are a few images from yesrterday:

Quick Reply: Sears ATV jack question