Help looking at a C2 in Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:36 PM
ayw
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help looking at a C2 in Phoenix

Hi guys,

I've been searching for a 964 for a few months now, and everyone has been extremely helpful on the forum, and I turn to you once again. I came across a C2 in Mesa, AZ, but unfortunately I'm in CA, so I'd like to get it all checked out before I fly out there for a final inspection and purchase.

Does anyone live near Mesa, AZ and could take an initial look at the car for me? I'll buy you a dinner if I end up buying it and make it out there. Or for that matter, does anyone know this car or it's owner? I also plan on having Don Jackson do a PPI for me.

I've attached some pictures, could you guys please take a look and let me know what you think?
Attached Images      

Last edited by ayw; 03-01-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:40 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't look like the distributor vent kit is in place.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lack of a vent kit does not mean much .
Get a new belt and a vent kit and install them .
No big deal .
Old 02-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Bituman
Advanced

Patrick Motorsports
4120 East Madison
Phoenix

Very good reputation. Not sure they do PPI's but worth a phone call to see. They might be able to direct you. They are hosting next month PCA Zone 8 meeting. Good luck.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:08 PM
ayw
Track Day

Thanks everyone. Bituman, I'll check out Patrick Motorsports. I just called the seller, wife picked up, said they are getting a lot of local interest, 2 people coming in to check it out this weekend. I hope I don't lose out due to distance.

From what she told me, they've had the car for 6 years, only put like 10k miles on it. It was in Conn. for 2 years before they moved to AZ, but it never saw snow and always was in the garage w/ a cover in the winter. They are the second owner. I'll keep everyone posted as I find out more. Thanks!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I like the color and it is factory. I have forgotten the name.

But I will say that the seats look less than ideal. They look like they have never seen any leather conditioner. Not sure they can be improved. Just be ready for that. Recovering in new leather is about $1k per seat. (I did it on my 993)

Don Jackson Enterprises is another good shop for a PPI in AZ.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:47 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can tell you from 6+ months of looking for a good C2 - they, for some reason, are very rare. Easier to find an RSA - plenty of those around. I really like the color, but I'd get rid of that intake and go back to OEM. I think before investing in new oem seats or recovering, I'd get some "street" Recaros in black... Good luck!

P.S. The last C2 I saw that was a "good one" was listed for $31k on a Friday and sold for $30k on the next day. It was lower miles, but it goes to show how the C2 market can be...
Old 03-01-2008, 12:33 AM
kimo964
Racer

That looks like Slate Grey to me and the best color out, but I'm bias. I doubt it will be a problem at resale time. As others have said, vent kit not installed with aftermarket filter. Might be an issue if the smog person wants to give you a hard time passing the visual.

The interior is very light so every crack will show. There are all kinds of leather dyes on the market now that will make seats look new. i wouldn't spend the $$ recovering it just yet. GL, besides the seats, the car looks good from the pics. PPI for sure.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:22 AM
ayw
Track Day

I spoke with the owner earlier today. Here's what I found out...

The color is original and is slate gray (kimo, I do like the color, but it looks better on your turbo . The owner still has the original intake, but it's drilled out (Ron, any reason why you suggest going back to the stock intake?). The owner's had the car for about 6-7 years and has put only 20k miles on it (total of 60k now). It's his 3rd or 4th car for his family and not his daily driver. All maintenance has been done at Sun Valley Imports (anyone know their reputation?).

The DMF has not been replaced with the LUK one. Is that an issue?

Any other suggestions for PPI's near Phoenix? Anyone in the Phoenix area that can help me take a preliminary look? I'm looking to move fast on this car as I think it's in great condition for a decent price. THANKS!!

Cheers,
allen
Old 03-01-2008, 08:56 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My shop, which maintains 6 964 US Cup cars and loads of other 964s swears by OEM intake, but with the "cup car" modification (cutting off the top of the cover vs. drilling). They set up so many of these cars and every time they try something for a client, they come back to OEM. My car is going on the dyno next week with OEM as is, then removed, to confirm it's worth it to cut the top of the cover off. As for oiled filters - I'll never have one in a car of mine again. I had a factory AFE oiled cone in my E46M3 and it fouled the MAF. Showed up at Watkins Glen and was a real downer for the event. Factory paper filters for me
Old 03-01-2008, 09:33 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Allen,
The car looks nice - good luck!

I would ask if there has been any damage to the front. Something looks slightly off between the driver's side fender & hood. It may be the lighting as well.

Andreas
Old 03-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Azikara
Instructor

I'd get some "street" Recaros in black... Good luck!
I have some Recaros if you are ever interested. By the way, I also have a slate grey. Love the color, and with a shiny set of Fikses the car looks awesome.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:01 PM
ayw
Track Day

Andreas, good catch. I'll def ask the owner about any accident history and of course will run a carfax. He's got local AZ ppl looking at it this weekend, but hopefully, none of them will move on it and I can all the PPI stuff done during the week and lock it down by next weekend if everything is on the up and up.

Azikara, do you have a picture of your car? I'd love to see the shiny Fikses.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:45 PM
1990-964
Pro

Hey Allen,

Very glad to see that you are still actively hunting for that right 964. The car you are looking at seems very nice. It is a very nice color that you wont see every day, like Grand Prix White, ha-ha! I hope all goes well and you can make it yours. If you know any PCA members they would be able to get contact information for the right person in that region to give you some possible recomendations for a PPI. If not I may be able to get that from a buddy of mine who I know is an active member. Give me a hollar if I can help.

Darren
Old 03-02-2008, 10:54 PM
ayw
Track Day

Hey Darren. I sent you an email. I hope the car works out...

Quick Reply: Help looking at a C2 in Phoenix