Sponsored by:

Engine & trans mount upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 12:49 AM
E36S50
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine & trans mount upgrade?

I want to upgrade the rubber engine and transmission mounts on my 964 C2.

After plenty of research it seems like the WEVO street motor mounts are the way to go. Any issues installing them without reinforcing the mounting areas if there are no existing signs of stress?

Re. the trans mount, is the RS mount the best compromise that doesn't transmit too much gear noise? I know that a solid mount will be too aggressive for my taste.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good questions. This happened to a fellow Rennlister (Lucky P) during his first track outing last Fall. It seems carrier reinforcement is probably a good idea.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The rear engine carrier is a problem with or without solid/semisolid engine mounts. The engine carrier should be reinforced if the car is tracked. The picture above is not the common failure point and I find it interesting because I've not seen one fail like that unless it was bent and straightened from an accident.

The failure point of the engine carrier is where the cross bar meets the round part where the engine mount bolt goes through.

I have wevo engine mounts in my street car and they are noisier than stock, I kind of prefer the stock mounts. The solid nylon trans bushing will transmit all of the transmission gear noise throughout the car. It will sound like a shaken can full of lug nuts.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Having run the Wevo 964 engine mounts, and now having gone back to new OE rubber engine and tranny mounts - I HIGHLY recommend sticking w/stock unless it's a dedicated track car. You pick up much more vibration and engine movement w/the Wevo's.

Anyone want my old Wevo's? They are about 1.5yrs and 10k miles old. If so send me private message.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:36 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I have wevo engine mounts in my street car and they are noisier than stock, I kind of prefer the stock mounts. The solid nylon trans bushing will transmit all of the transmission gear noise throughout the car. It will sound like a shaken can full of lug nuts.
Yeah, I drove an RSA race car with all solid mounts that my brother-in-law has and its like being inside a coffee grinder. Not a pleasant sound for any length of time if you're not driving it flat out.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:44 AM
AK
Instructor

Wevo does sells the mounts with two different hardness of inserts. You can get the softer ones. I did that have been happy with them. Especially after getting rid of my old shot mounts. My car is only a weekend car but I would say that the noise is far less intrusive than my G pipe.

Also I did reinforce my engine carrier around the welds at the end. It had not cracked but you could see were the paint had cracked from the metal flexing in that area.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:02 AM
E36S50
Advanced

Originally Posted by AK
Also I did reinforce my engine carrier around the welds at the end. It had not cracked but you could see were the paint had cracked from the metal flexing in that area.
Can the WEVO mounts be installed and the rear carrier be welded/reinforced while the engine is still in the car? How many hours should be allocated for this work?
Old 01-25-2008, 05:39 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Buy the RS-mounts. Much stiffer but almost no noise/vibrations compared to stock.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
The rear engine carrier is a problem with or without solid/semisolid engine mounts. The engine carrier should be reinforced if the car is tracked. The picture above is not the common failure point and I find it interesting because I've not seen one fail like that unless it was bent and straightened from an accident.

The failure point of the engine carrier is where the cross bar meets the round part where the engine mount bolt goes through.

Geoffrey,

I have solid mounts in my race car. Should I reinforce the carrier, too?

I've been thinking about a solid tranny mount with a spherical bearing. Do you think this will stress the chassis too much?
Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 AM
AK
Instructor

Can the WEVO mounts be installed and the rear carrier be welded/reinforced while the engine is still in the car? How many hours should be allocated for this work?
The carrier needs to be removed but it does not require the engine to be removed. Though you must support the engine! It is hard to say how many hours it really took as I also replaced my timing chain cover seals, resprayed by engine surrounds and a few other "while I was in there" jobs.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The rear carrier should be reinforced on any car that is tracked. If you don't it WILL break and the engine will fall down, especially at tracks like Sebing where it is hard on the car. The solid trans mount is fine. The RSRs ran two extra supports from the transmission to the chassis, but I think that is to control forward/rearward motion and requires welding on the chassis to install. I have them, but forgot to add the mounting points to my chassis before I painted it, so they are missing on my car.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Any pics or description of carrier reinforcement?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:27 AM
spjuvern
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i allso want to se pics of how you reinforcement the carrier the best way
Old 06-11-2009, 04:26 PM
stv951
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts

Bump ?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The rennline website has a nice PDF on how to install the reinforced gusset.

Quick Reply: Engine & trans mount upgrade?