Sponsored by:

Deleting the headlight level adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:14 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Deleting the headlight level adjustment

hi, I'm about to delete the **** on the dashboard for adjusting the headlights , and replace it with a kill switch handle a la CUP. I saw that the switch is connected with two rubber hoses for the vaccum.

Question: Can I leave these un-attached or must there be a sealed loop for the vaccum in order not to disturb anything else?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:06 AM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe if you leave them un attached it can have an effect on engine performance. Think I read this in Adrians book.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:42 AM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do need to plug the one coming from the engine. If anyone can trace back where those hoses go to, I'd like to know. thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

OK, if I have a pice of fixed pipe can't I just connect the two hoses to this and make loop or do I have to plug them?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:41 PM
964rh
Pro

Thomas

I may be wrong but I'd have thought you could plug the pipe and completely get rid of the one from the switch to the headlight.

Sorry I can't be more certain

Rob
Old 01-08-2008, 02:50 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

As long as the hoses are still holding vacuum, you can just use the pipe. My preference would be trace back to where vacuum comes from engine and put a straight pipe there. (of course, that's what I'd like someone to do as I just ordered my headlights )
Old 01-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a rubber "tee-piece" in the engine compartment behind the heater fan. Look for the three thin plastic pipes and disconnect the one that exits the engine compartment through the rear bulkhead then plug the tee-piece to prevent vacuum loss. The other two pipes are connected to engine components and easy to trace.

Regards

H
Old 01-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Jan-Terje
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
hi, I'm about to delete the **** on the dashboard for adjusting the headlights , and replace it with a kill switch handle a la CUP.
I'm in the same process. But I'm planning to place the kill switch between the rpm and oil gauges. There is a "invisible" hole there. Might this be an alternative ?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:29 PM
deoxford
Pro

Can you take a pic of the **** for adjusting the headlights. I didn't know I had such a thing?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:43 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Thanks, now everything is crystal clear!

Originally Posted by Harry Apps
There is a rubber "tee-piece" in the engine compartment behind the heater fan. Look for the three thin plastic pipes and disconnect the one that exits the engine compartment through the rear bulkhead then plug the tee-piece to prevent vacuum loss. The other two pipes are connected to engine components and easy to trace.

Regards

H
Old 01-09-2008, 05:52 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

That should work, but I want the cup-look and I think the steering wheel may be an obstruction if you want to reach the handle in a hurry.

Today I have placed the kill switch handle in the hole were the front fog light **** used to be. But the there are to many bends for the cable so it doesn't move as freely as it should. The cup-position is better and more in a straight line.

Yesterday I ordered the ABS-kill swith from Porsche Motorsport and that will go into the other "hidden" hole between the clock and speedo meter. I will probably never use it but it looks cool and was only 33 USD

Originally Posted by Jan-Terje
I'm in the same process. But I'm planning to place the kill switch between the rpm and oil gauges. There is a "invisible" hole there. Might this be an alternative ?
Old 01-09-2008, 05:53 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Originally Posted by deoxford
Can you take a pic of the **** for adjusting the headlights. I didn't know I had such a thing?
I post a pic after work!
Old 01-09-2008, 02:31 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

deoxford, you may not have it. it was an option. It will be the switch/**** in the first position inboard form ac vent at end of dash. You may just have a blank spot.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:33 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Harry Apps

Regards

H
Do you know the path of the pipe from the engine to the switch on the dash? thanks
Old 01-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by deoxford
I doubt you will, AFAIK it was only a European option.

Marc

Quick Reply: Deleting the headlight level adjustment