Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Period" 18" wheels for 964? What looks best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:00 PM
mike220
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice - man that's clean !

Old 02-21-2008, 07:11 PM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Those 996 18"s really do look great. Light too.

Henry
Old 02-21-2008, 08:18 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Keskin is selling their "KT2" 3.6 Turbo-replica wheels for $1,480 for all four (w/o tires).

See: http://www.keskintuningusa.com/KT2%20CUP.htm

and: http://www.keskintuningusa.com/pricelist.htm

The "not real 3-piece wheels" point is not significant, IMHO, for a street car. I understand the weight penalty issue (unsprung weight and all of that), but at <$1,500 for the set, it's hard to pass up...

[no affiliation with Keskin]
Old 02-21-2008, 09:04 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
The "not real 3-piece wheels" point is not significant, IMHO, for a street car. I understand the weight penalty issue (unsprung weight and all of that), but at <$1,500 for the set, it's hard to pass up...

[no affiliation with Keskin]

I think once you have driven your 964/965 back-to-back with heavier wheels, you will appreciate the 7-10lb difference between the Keskin 18" setup to a factory 17" Cup 1 setup. Certainly, the wheels look very nice and are quite affordable, but one must also factor in overall quality & design. Imagine if the wheels go out of round after a few inevitable runs over pot holes. Personally, I don't have any experiences with Keskin wheels, but I just want to inject my 2 cents worth of experience in buying into wheels just because of costs. I have my share of mistakes with non-hub-centric wheels, made in Asia, vibrating at higher speed. The thought of spending $2K+ in a wheel+tire combo only to diminsh the driving pleasure of a 964/965 seems....
Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Mike Lowry
Advanced

I have Kinesis 3 piece supercups,They look pretty close to speedlines,I don't know the weight difference and i believe kinesis is no longer in business?
Old 02-22-2008, 12:26 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike Lowry
... and i believe kinesis is no longer in business?
They're still in business, but were bought out by bling bling garbage wheel company Lexani.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:54 AM
Don Nguyen
Racer

I love Kinesis, but since they were bought out, it seems like it won't be the same anymore.

I was considering getting some BBS LMs and painting them red. My car is black, so it would make for an interesting scheme.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:56 AM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not sure that it's quite that much of a weight penalty. I'm currently running 17 inch "Cup 1" replica wheels on my C2 cab, which I bought from TireRack.com (I understand that they're made by a company named Mille Miglia).

According to Tirerack.com, the Cup 1 replica fronts (17"x7.5") weigh 24lbs. each and the Cup 1 replica rears (17"x9") weigh 26lbs. each.

According to the Keskin website, the 18" 3.6 Turbo replica fronts (18"x8.5") weigh 29.5lbs each and the 18" 3.6 Turbo replica rears (18"x9.5") weigh 31.5lbs. each.

As a result, we're looking at an additional 20lbs for the wheelset. Of course, that doesn't include tires, but I expect that we might actually gain something in rubber, relatively speaking, because the 18" tires are lower profile than the 17" tires.

[Again, absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with Keskin; I've just had my eye on Turbo 3.6 wheels for a while and always figured that they were outside my price range; these replicas are making it a real possibility...]

Anyone interested in getting together a group buy?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:38 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,329 Posts

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
I'm not sure that it's quite that much of a weight penalty. I'm currently running 17 inch "Cup 1" replica wheels on my C2 cab, which I bought from TireRack.com (I understand that they're made by a company named Mille Miglia).

According to Tirerack.com, the Cup 1 replica fronts (17"x7.5") weigh 24lbs. each and the Cup 1 replica rears (17"x9") weigh 26lbs. each.

According to the Keskin website, the 18" 3.6 Turbo replica fronts (18"x8.5") weigh 29.5lbs each and the 18" 3.6 Turbo replica rears (18"x9.5") weigh 31.5lbs. each.

As a result, we're looking at an additional 20lbs for the wheelset. Of course, that doesn't include tires, but I expect that we might actually gain something in rubber, relatively speaking, because the 18" tires are lower profile than the 17" tires.

[Again, absolutely no affiliation whatsoever with Keskin; I've just had my eye on Turbo 3.6 wheels for a while and always figured that they were outside my price range; these replicas are making it a real possibility...]

Anyone interested in getting together a group buy?
Weight wise the speedlines weigh a hefty 25.38 pounds front and 26.75 pounds rear. Tire choice can make up the difference in added or light weight wheels so it is a package weight you need to concern yourself with. Tires of like sizes can vary by as much as 6 pounds some even more.

The speedlines are very strong were it counts compared to most copies. I think the Kenisis were the closest thing to the speedline for overall quality.

I have a spare set of Speedlines polished centers and I have recently been told that the new batch they produced is running out. With only few sets or sizes available. I know price has gone up 15% in the past few months and is expected to go higher. So if you want the real deal you might want to buy now before it is too late.

I think this the prettiest wheel Porsche ever used although -CD-'s wheels are probably the best overall for weight, looks and price. Most Porsche wheels are heavy and not as light as a Fikse or other forged wheel. His wheels are about as light as they made in an 18"
Attached Images   
Old 02-22-2008, 01:50 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anybody checked out these wheel from AP Design in Germany. They are 3 piece 18" wheels front 8.5" rear 9.5" I am not sure about the offset and the weight but they do fit our 964's. I asked them for a price and shipping to the west coast of Canada, they want $ 1800 for the wheels only, center caps are extra, shipping is either $ 257 3 weeks, or $ 650 5 days. I would be interested in a group buy, let me know if anyone else is interested.

http://www.ap-car-design.de/
Scroll down towards the bottom right of the front page

Steen
Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

I saw these on the AP Design website as well. Some gorgeous 964s, no? They advertise wheel / tire packages in some of the Euro car magazines - with attractive "shipping included" pricing...
Thanks for inquiring about shipping prices.
If these are Kerscher wheels - then that will most likely be the way I go...
Old 02-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hkiang
Well, the car is back and I couldn't be happier.

Speedlines. These really are the best looking wheels for our cars.
Perfect! IMHO those are the best set of wheels for our cars.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:41 PM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I think this [Speedline is] the prettiest wheel Porsche ever used although -CD-'s wheels are probably the best overall for weight, looks and price. Most Porsche wheels are heavy and not as light as a Fikse or other forged wheel. His wheels are about as light as they made in an 18"
Couldn't agree with you more. Looks are important, but at some point, the weight penalty cannot be ignored and should be preclusive, given the adverse effect on handling, quickness and the overall driving experience. (I think it is important to remember that the multiplier between unsprung weight and sprung weight is roughly 10 times. This translates to mean that for every 1 additional pound of unsprung weight a car carries (i.e., in wheels) translates to be the equivalent of carrying 10 more pounds in sprung weight.)

Did I point out that Fikse wheels, though arguably not as good looking as the Speedlines on our cars b/c of the high degree of offset, are 20 and 21 lbs front and rear respectively, in 18x8.5 and 18x10 and cost much LESS than the Speedlines? Just food for thought.

Henry
Old 02-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hkiang
Did I point out that Fikse wheels, though arguably not as good looking as the Speedlines on our cars b/c of the high degree of offset, are 20 and 21 lbs front and rear respectively, in 18x8.5 and 18x10 and cost much LESS than the Speedlines? Just food for thought.

Henry
And here they are. A great deal also if purchased second hand. I dropped $2500 for these with 95% rubber.
Attached Images   
Old 02-22-2008, 03:35 PM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Yup. There they ARE. Those are the best wheels. Now if only I could get a bit more offset on them, then they might look the best on our cars too.

Quick Reply: "Period" 18" wheels for 964? What looks best?