Sponsored by:

To grease or not to grease / replace or not replace

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:18 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To grease or not to grease / replace or not replace

I completed the replacement of the power steering return hose from the rack back to the tunnel. Had to remove the CV joints from the front differential flanges. The allen head cap bolts were very tight and I noted that the threads were all coated with a moly grease. So here's the question.

In my searches I have found posts saying:

1...photos of a shop manual stating to coat the threads of the bolts with Optimply HT and torque up. Nothing mentioned about new bolts.

2...Some say they clean up the bolts with cleaner of choice and loctite the bolts in (am assuming blue as one might want to remove the bolts later)

3...Some cite replace the bolts as they are one use, but no recommendation of grease or loctite.

4...Some say you are supposed to replace the bolts , but most of us never do.

I'm very tempted to go back with original bolts with the original Optimoly HT grease and retorgue. Anyone that reused their bolts have trouble later?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never replaced a cv bolt ever .
I've never seen a broken cv bolt .
I've never read of a broken cv bolt .
Old 12-31-2007, 02:22 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Clean the existing bolts and reuse. I've never used loctite. Just re-torque after an hour or so of driving (make sure to accelerate hard).
Old 12-31-2007, 02:43 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Indycam...You have never replaced a CV bolt, so did you clean it, grease it or loctite it?

38D... Love the avaitar. If I read your post correctly, you cleaned and installed the bolt dry.

Some of the guys were talking about bolt stretch, but I would think that thread stretch would be limited unless one overtorqued a bolt. Given that Porsche obviously puts the moly grease on the threads at the factory as evidenced by the residual grease I found on the threads, they aren't too concerned about them backing out.

I'm gonna leave the residual grease on them and torque em up. I'll check them after 10-20 miles.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 03:36 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never used loctite on a cv bolt .
I don't think loctite would even work because of all the grease that is already in all the threads .
Because its an old cv bolt , the bolt is greasy and the hole it goes into is greasy .
Not because I greased them up , just cause they are greasy .

"Love the avaitar."
I don't , I keep looking at it thinking to my self , come on baby , come on baby .
But I know no matter how long I watch , its never going to happen .
Old 12-31-2007, 04:48 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would replace the bolt if the hex head shows any type of deformation. They are cheap. Around $2 apiece I think.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:52 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hit "post" too soon, but the bolts with the deformed heads will go in easily, torqued up nicely. But when it comes to removing them (because you need to fix something), they will make you pay. Nothing like a rounded (or whatever you call it) CV bolt to stop your work. And they do that easy too.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:38 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Thats what I was thinking. I think you would have to remove the cv boot pull and clean the bolts and clean the diff flanges, hit it with locquick primer before loctite would ever work.

I cannot find any reference to loctite, but did find two references to coating the threads with moly lube or Optimoly HT.

"38Ds" are hypnotic for sure.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:44 PM
amr89c4
Pro

axl911, you do make a good point, but its too late. I already re-used the bolts. The torque on the original removal was inconsistent. Some bolts came loose easy while 1 or 2 on each flange were REALLY tight. I wonder if they were properly torqued to begin with.

I marked the caps and flanges with yellow marker paint to see if they creep.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 06:35 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

For what it's worth, the Shop Manual indicates that the CV Joint flange bolts should be replaced and get a light coat of Optimoly HT. Of course, I can't find the reference now. I'll keep looking.

I read here of someone who said they did not replace their CV bolts and they backed out! I'm sure it was a coincidence, though it scared me into purchasing replacements. Several sets, in fact. My car has beat the crap out of me and I'm trying to give it every opportunity to start being nice.

I'm sure you're fine. Not that my saying it means anything!
Old 12-31-2007, 06:53 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Can't find the reference.
Must be mistaken.
My apologies.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:14 PM
amr89c4
Pro

dfinnegan,

No apologies necessary!

Thanks for checking the bolt replacement reference out. I have marked the bolts with paint and will monitor them to see if they migrate. I'll report back either way after I get some miles on them.

Quick Reply: To grease or not to grease / replace or not replace