Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding a Engine Compartment Blower Motor, Carrera 4 (1990-964)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:57 AM
jsham
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rebuilding a Engine Compartment Blower Motor, Carrera 4 (1990-964)

Has anyone done this, how difficult is it to do, or know where to get the parts needed to do the job? Mine is gone and I'm just looking at all my options.

I would like to take this chance extend to all the listers a Happy & Safe Holiday to you and your love ones.

Cheers
Old 12-15-2007, 07:52 AM
andrew964
Instructor

By the time you've messed around finding the bits it may be cheaper to replace.....I went throught the same things when mine died
Old 12-15-2007, 08:39 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The motor is available on it's own which includes the bearings. It just has to be assembled with the fan rotor. From Bert Gear in the UK (www.partsforporsche.co.uk) it's £105 (+ VAT if in the EU) which I suspect is considerably cheaper than a whole blower unit.

If you replace the whole thing there are some changes you need to make to the mountings since the current parts are 993 units which have slightly different mounting hardware.

Regards

Dave
Old 12-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

I am trying to do exactly this at the moment. Mine melted the fuse and fuse holder, which I have successfully rebuilt. Now I have got the blower apart and am trying to separate the motor from the fan. Looking at my motor the bushes are fine but the bearing seems to be oval, although I can't see it yet. I will first try and repair the bearing, which I have seen in another post and am going to search for it in a moment. Failing that I will replace just the motor (assuming I can get the fan off the existing one!).
This is my first DIY and I must say it makes you appreciate the engineering even more when everything comes apart so easily. Not sure about that bearing design though as it seems to be a common problem!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:42 PM
shesminetoo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guys,

Just did this recently. Dead easy to do and not worth rebuilding. I live in Australia and ordered the part from Vertexauto in the US who delivered it to my door for about $250 (unit cost was US$179) 2 months ago. Less if you're patient and can wait for snailmail. Took me all of 20 minutes to replace the motor. The fan just pulls off with a little bit of effort. I suspended the motor by only the fan and then gently tapped the spindle with a punch until it came off. Refitting the new unit is easy and it's running really well now.

Reg's
Old 12-17-2007, 02:43 AM
jsham
Instructor

Shesminetoo,
Thanks for the info! I will look into it tomorrow morning.
Happy Holidays,
Cheers
Old 12-17-2007, 04:32 AM
DJS
Advanced

I'd second shesminetoo's comments.
Dead easy, cheap compared to replacing the whole blower assembly and in my case it was one of my first DIY projects on my C4 so very satisfying when it was done!
Good luck!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:52 PM
drisin80
Instructor

i agree with just replacing the whole assembly. very simple job-- you have to remember to reuse the mounting bushings from yours, because the new assembly will be for a 993, and they are a little longer. there is a great technical article here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ower_motor.htm -----that shows you exactly what you need to do. i think the blower motor assembly was around 250 bucks a couple of years ago. good luck------------tom
Old 12-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

I have now removed the fan from the old motor no problem and have the motor on order. The fan came off by suspending so that the motor was hanging free and tapping the spindle with a suitable punch (cross head screwdriver!). Very easy and I don't anticipate any problems putting back together. Half the price of the full assembly so very satisfying.
I also replaced by hood struts while the fan was out of the way and it now opens when the handle is pulled (never knew it was supposed to do that) Very easy too with the locking forceps I purchased, and tip of using dental floss to tie round the clip for when I dropped it (note the when not if).
Steve

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a Engine Compartment Blower Motor, Carrera 4 (1990-964)