Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could you please evaluate some more pre-purchase pics?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Nat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
Japanese negotiators tend to put less emphasis on the literal meanings of words used in negotiation and more emphasis on the relationships established before negotiating begins.[16] They are also less likely than their U.S. counterparts to make procedural suggestions.[17]

http://www.beyondintractability.org/...e_negotiation/
Certain cultures, including Mediterranean, Arab, and Latin American, are more tactile and allow more touching. Asian, indigenous American, Canadian, and U.S. cultures tend to discourage touching outside of intimate situations. Certain cultures allow cross-gender touching, including the United States, while same-gender touching is less acceptable. These rules change in Japan, where women are frequently seen holding hands, but not men. In the Mediterranean, it is common to see men holding hands or touching in public, but not women. Greeting rituals fit with these patterns, so awareness of local norms is important for negotiators.
The seller is Middle Eastern and I'm Asian. He's not going to be all touching me and trying to hold my hand I hope, because I'm not that horny.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:49 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go slow , see lots o cars , don't rush the process . Its not like you need a 964 right now .
Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Nat
Instructor

Go slow , see lots o cars , don't rush the process . Its not like you need a 964 right now .
Easy for you to say. You already have one!

I hear ya'. Be patient. Deep breath.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

I think it took more than 30 days from the first look see to the point of putting in an offer on my 964 .
If you were shopping for a house , you would go and look at many before you picked one to haggle over .
Old 12-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

It is true that you learn a little from each one you look at. And, I think the market has cooled slightly from when I was looking a couple years ago. But still, if you're serious and ready, you have to be able and willing to move quickly, because the very best ones at realistic prices are often gone within hours of being placed on the market. If you're not that picky, you can approach the process more casually.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Nat
Instructor

I think it took more than 30 days from the first look see to the point of putting in an offer on my 964 .
If you were shopping for a house , you would go and look at many before you picked one to haggle over .
I understand what you're advising with the car, but it's funny you should talk about my house. From AZ I flew to OR and bought this one within 48 hours of the plane landing. I saw it, said, "Cool house! I'll take it!" Bing-bang-boom, I have a nice house.

I guess I don't dink around too much, hey?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:26 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Take your time on this. There are lots more out there. Go to a local Porsche club meeting and ask around.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Arne91C4
Track Day

Nat, if you are in Oregon say Hi. I am in Seattle and I bought a 91C4 Cab 4 months ago from the original owner with everything, tools, window sticker service records and perfect and I do mean perfect for $25K. Car had a new clutch, recent full tuneup with valve adjust and has 49K miles and no damage ever. I asked about the clutch so early and flywheel let go so he had everything replaced.
PM me with your number if you want to talk. Good luck

Arne.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arne91C4
Nat, if you are in Oregon say Hi. I am in Seattle and I bought a 91C4 Cab 4 months ago from the original owner with everything, tools, window sticker service records and perfect and I do mean perfect for $25K. Car had a new clutch, recent full tuneup with valve adjust and has 49K miles and no damage ever. I asked about the clutch so early and flywheel let go so he had everything replaced.
PM me with your number if you want to talk. Good luck

Arne.
Hi Arne. Check your PM inbox.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevepaa
Take your time on this. There are lots more out there. Go to a local Porsche club meeting and ask around.
I know I appear anxious to buy (because I am), but searching for a good C4 is fun as hell!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

I think you've got the right perspective. No, you don't need to be in a "hurry" - but you do have to be ready to jump, as the really good ones come and go very quickly.

Not sure about the PCA angle. I just read the Panorama piece about searching for a car, and the guy pretty much dismissed any notion of craigslist, online sales, etc. as avenues to buy. He strongly favored PCA club members and Panorama classifieds as the best way to go. I thought the article was a real "puff piece"; a lot of those people, though well-meaning, have a pretty inflated idea of the values of their cars. They might be well-maintained, but that doesn't mean that everybody else's isn't. JMO.

Quick Reply: Could you please evaluate some more pre-purchase pics?