Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could you please evaluate some more pre-purchase pics?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 03:51 AM
Nat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could you please evaluate some more pre-purchase pics?

The seller states that interior is perfect, that he just spent $1700 to fix an engine oil leak, and that the transmission and motor are in excellent condition. He's asking $24,000. The right rear light has cracks in the cover. Tires are new. It's a 1991 964 with ~79,000 miles, no issues on CarFax. I see some deep scratch (or is it a crack?) on the right rear bumper. I'm hoping to schedule a PPI early next week. Comments please. Thanks.

Last edited by Nat; 12-09-2007 at 04:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:13 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

First impressions are that it looks a little unloved.....pretty dirty inside and out, tail pipe drooping, oil around the filter housing, handbrake rather high, sound deadening dropping.... etc..

K
Old 12-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

How much of perfectionist are you? The light interior is very difficult to keep clean. The cracks in the seat will look a lot more pronounced when you see them in person, but given the age of the car, are not unusual.

Bottom line, if you can live with cosmetic imperfections, it looks like a sub $20K car to me. I realize it has 80K miles, but would consider whether it has had
60K miles service, clutch replacement, and recent valve adjustment to determine whether I would offer $17-19K.

FWIW, we bought a 93C2 with 59K miles in near perfect condition for $23.5 last Feb.

Good Luck
Old 12-09-2007, 08:57 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat
I see some deep scratch (or is it a crack?) on the right rear bumper.
That looks like the reflection of the umbrella off to the right, not a crack/scratch.

Agree the car looks ratty for $24k. At that price, I would expect it to be much nicer.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:26 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, cosmetic issues primarily. As for the handbrake, I think it's just in the locked position. Oil mess below the filter was a good catch--there's a way to do that without spilling and certainly a conscientious owner would clean it up. The droopy tail pipe could suggest worn engine mounts or a loose tail pipe/muffler connection. Not too hard to fix.

I'm not a big fan of the lighter color interiors. They're pretty difficult to keep nice. Black paint looks sharp when shiney but takes work, too. If you can live with that combo, then it's probably worth finding out more about its mechanical condition.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Nat
Instructor

Thanks for the responses. Please keep it coming; it's very helpful.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:09 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
How much of perfectionist are you? The light interior is very difficult to keep clean. The cracks in the seat will look a lot more pronounced when you see them in person, but given the age of the car, are not unusual.

Bottom line, if you can live with cosmetic imperfections, it looks like a sub $20K car to me. I realize it has 80K miles, but would consider whether it has had
60K miles service, clutch replacement, and recent valve adjustment to determine whether I would offer $17-19K.

FWIW, we bought a 93C2 with 59K miles in near perfect condition for $23.5 last Feb.

Good Luck
One who likes his car clean, but well used.

Grey on grey interior.

Kevin
Old 12-09-2007, 11:45 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

That car a had quite the leak based on what I see on the ground - hope its all fixed.

I noticed the clutch and brake pedals are not in the same position in picture #4. This may be an adjustment issue or a sign of something else.

Agree with the others that this car looks, umm, less than Rennlist standards. It may clean up quite well though. Watch for lots of swirls and marring of the paint. I bet this car went through lots of automatic car washes.

Sometimes the the fun of p-car ownership is going through the car and cleaning, fixing and modifying it to make it your own unless you are looking for a garage queen which this car is not even a princess.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:52 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its over priced and if not then I am happy!
The lights will cost $600+ new to replace on the back.

Last edited by jimq; 12-09-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Other things to ask about: When was the distributor belt last changed? You can buy taillights from dismantlers; IIRC, the cost is around $60 per unit. You can repaint all the rear lights with Candy Apple Red Transparent model-car paint + clear and they'll look like new. Even new lights from Porsche most likely will still be pink. $1,700 isn't very much in Porsche terms for oil-leak fixes. Ask specifically what was done for that $1,700. The droopy engine compartment insulation is not rare; easily fixed if the engine ever has to come out. I'd be only a little bit troubled that the current owner obviously didn't keep the car spotless, but the mechanical condition is much more important to a buyer (as someone above pointed out, cleaning it is relatively easy and usually involves only sweat equity, not huge $$$). Also, condition of paint and interior can sometimes be difficult to judge accurately from photographs.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Nat
Instructor

Finding a suitable car is proving to be challenging. I'm like Julia Roberts' character in Pretty Woman, "I have all this money and no one will sell me anything!"

There's another '91 with a very swanky red interior that I like a lot, but CarFax shows it was in two accidents. I don't suppose anyone here has online access to police records and can look up how major the crashes were?
Old 12-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Its a nice car , have you gone and seen it in person .
The price is just the asking price , not the real price .
I see a Mercedes-Benz wheel in the background .
Not everyone keeps there car clean clean all the time , I would not rule out a car because its not clean .
Some people actually drive there 964s like a normal car , just a car .
Old 12-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

If you can poke around in the $24K range as a purchase price, you can do a lot better than this car. Especially considering all the hand-wringing lately about 964 prices dropping.

When people aren't selling their car and don't clean it, that's just personal habits. But when they're trying to sell it and they don't clean it, I think that tells you something about the owner, and how the car might have been treated along the way. JMO.

As far as the Carfax-tainted car: Carfax doesn't catch everything, but when it does catch something, you should considering a gift and $25 well spent. Rule that one out. And TWO crashes? That's car's living under a bad sign.

And the Benz is leased, and the house is rented...
Old 12-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Indycam
Not everyone keeps there car clean clean all the time , I would not rule out a car because its not clean .
Some people actually drive there 964s like a normal car , just a car
Heresy! Pretty funny.

I may be heading over to see the car either tomorrow or the next day. The drive will take several hours round trip over a snowy mountain pass, but at least this one is within driving distance. I am planning to call a shop tomorrow to see about setting up a PPI.

Other 964's I've found with similar mileage have an asking price of around $18K. That's a fairly large jump to what this seller is asking. KBB and Edmunds shows selling prices closer to $18K. I will point out some other ads and the KBB and Edmunds true market value figures if I negotiate a purchase.

There was a gorgeous '94 widebody with low miles listed for $25K but that ad only lasted a day before it disappeared.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Indycam
Some people actually drive there 964s like a normal car , just a car .
Originally Posted by Bearclaw
If you can poke around in the $24K range as a purchase price, you can do a lot better than this car. Especially considering all the hand-wringing lately about 964 prices dropping.

When people aren't selling their car and don't clean it, that's just personal habits. But when they're trying to sell it and they don't clean it, I think that tells you something about the owner, and how the car might have been treated along the way. JMO.

As far as the Carfax-tainted car: Carfax doesn't catch everything, but when it does catch something, you should considering a gift and $25 well spent. Rule that one out. And TWO crashes? That's car's living under a bad sign.

And the Benz is leased, and the house is rented...
I know, not just one crash but TWO crashes! That threw up red flags everywhere.

Maybe this guy just parked the car in his rich cousin's garage for the pics?

Quick Reply: Could you please evaluate some more pre-purchase pics?