Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having intermittent blower fan problems, and have a few others questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:59 PM
jsham
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Having intermittent blower fan problems, and have a few others questions!!!

Hello all,
First I just started having intermittent blower fan problems with my 90, 964 C4 in the last week or so.
Some times when I turn the car on it starts working right from the bat, but then others times nothing!
Any suggestions on what to look for or @?

Second does anyone have any experience with this brake kit?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...EWA:PIC&ih=008

I found this on Ebay and wondered if anyone has used them or purchased from this seller? I need to replace my rotors and pads and at the same time repaint my calipers.
I've been looking around for a while know and want to put on drilled or floating & drilled would be my first choice but, I can seem to find any. I even called Brembo & Performance Friction and was told no go!
Performance has Zimmerman cross drilled with an assortment of pads which bring me to the third question, which pads (street use mostly, must be quite!).

Forth looking for a good steering wheel (I.E. V6,TREK ALCANTARA or the Quake (alcantara would be nice) but one that made would help change the position of the wheel? A wheel that would focused more towards the driver (me) not some much towards the dash as the stock wheel is.

Again just looking for some direction and opinions!

Thanks from a newbie
Old 10-23-2007, 04:41 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the summer (not that we had much over here) my blower would start up right away. As it's got cooler the blower does not start up immediately. The first time this happened I thought, oh well it's broken I'll fix it in the future, as I drove off it started up . My guess is it's normal.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:03 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my blower runs from cold, it usually means the engine thinks it's hot and runs the blower to cool things down! Unfortunately if it thinks it's hot it does not bother enriching the fuel so it's a bit lumpy at idle.

Last edited by Strega(UK); 10-23-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:53 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Your blower sounds the same as mine always has. It only comes on at startup if its above a certain tempature outside. Here in Florida thats most the time
Old 10-24-2007, 07:05 AM
jsham
Instructor

Exclamation

Sorry for not explaining myself correctly, not the blower for the engine that helps cool the engine when the cars runs warm (I'm replacing that this winter anyway, it broke this summer, started staying on all the time).
I'm talking about the A/C / heater controller fan that blows cold / warm air on you, defrost on the windshield in the cold & wet or A/C on you in the summer, that blower / fan.
Either way it started working again today, for how long, who knows? This is really starting to drive me nuts!
Sorry for the newbie mistake!
Old 10-24-2007, 07:38 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsham
Sorry for not explaining myself correctly, not the blower for the engine that helps cool the engine when the cars runs warm (I'm replacing that this winter anyway, it broke this summer, started staying on all the time).
I'm talking about the A/C / heater controller fan that blows cold / warm air on you, defrost on the windshield in the cold & wet or A/C on you in the summer, that blower / fan.
Either way it started working again today, for how long, who knows? This is really starting to drive me nuts!
Sorry for the newbie mistake!
Yep, that's what I meant. When it's cold I can put the defrost switch on and nothing happens until the car is warm. Then suddenly it starts to blow.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:34 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Mine plays up to varying degrees. The fan stopped working altogether, unless it was set on cold, then it worked fine. As soon as I added heat, it switched off. I had the CCU swapped out for a known working unit, but the problem remianed. Disconnected and cleaned up all the connections behind the CCU and it started working again. However, the fan still blows air through the vents even when switched off; slightly less than the number 1 setting on the dial. Odd, as the CCU unit does offer up any fault codes.

I shall get it fixed one day, but not too bothered as it atleast 'works'; much needed on cold, damp English mornings.

EDIT: as far as I know the CCU is the same unit on the later 944s and is reliable. I guess it could be related to the interior temp sensor....or something....
Old 10-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Superunknown
Racer

I heard that you will always get a little bit of air flow even when it is set at 0. Something to do with German law on air circulation or something??
Old 10-24-2007, 11:03 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Yes, you will always get some air-flow with the vents open, but my fan is actually on, blowing air into the cabin; you can hear it. Doesn't do that in any of the other 964s I have been in. Of course, they may all be broken and mine is working just fine
Old 10-24-2007, 11:26 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by meek
Yes, you will always get some air-flow with the vents open, but my fan is actually on, blowing air into the cabin; you can hear it. Doesn't do that in any of the other 964s I have been in. Of course, they may all be broken and mine is working just fine
The front blowers run at a very low speed even with the control at zero; this is normal. The front blowers won't operate properly (off the blue-dot setting) without the rear blower functioning correctly - they're interdependent.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Thanks Darryl and Superunknown, that makes something I don't have to worry about. I can spend my cash on something else Still odd that it so audible. Never had a car that made any sound with the fan set to zero, even in the 944s. I shall have to put it down to character.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:50 AM
jsham
Instructor

Darry,
Is that right? Well my engine blower started making this nasty sound about a month ago and I called my Porsche tec and asked him about it (it had done it once before about 6 months before,but then nothing) but this time it was staying on even with the car off, making the noise that sounded like it was grinding, like the barring was gone? He explained what it was and told me to just unplug it and purchase a new one. Well my car is my daily driver and we stopped getting any really worm days just after this happened and he told me to watch my temp, so I did and everything has been fine until it started to get cool at night, then when I noticed the ac/heater defrost blower not coming on. Meek is right, after awhile you do get some warm air through the cabin but thats not going to work here soon.
But the strange thing to me is, it will work some times as soon as I start the car and keep working, then other times when I start the car nothing, thats what was really screwing with me.
So if I replay the rear blower it will correct everything, hopefully? Any ideas on how much they run? or where to get on from besides the dealer for the parts? Should I look at replacing anything else while I'm doing this?
Thanks everyone for all the help and feed back, this is great, keep the info coming! I have a few more issues to work out, as about before winter totally hits that I need help with, but well stay with this until it worked out!
Cheers
Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

I can't say why the problem would be intermittent. In my car, at least, it works like this:

With the rear blower connected:

1. Temp control on blue dot, cabin blowers work as expected, rear blower not running.
2. Temp control calling for heat (above ambient), fan control on 0, 1, or 2, rear blower runs at low speed.
3. Temp control calling for heat (above ambient), fan control on 3 or 4, rear blower runs at high speed.

With no rear blower connected:

1. Temp control on blue dot, cabin blowers work as expected.
2. Temp control calling for heat, cabin blowers run for a few seconds and then stop, regardless of fan setting.

I have a very early build 964 with an unmodified, AFAIK, climate control unit. The odd bit, to me, is that in your case it works sometimes. So I don't know whether replacing your rear blower will fix the problem. Sorry.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:58 PM
krisedwards
Advanced

Default Intermittent cabin blower fan problems, please help it's really cold out.

A few months ago Darryl wrote:

1. Temp control on blue dot, cabin blowers work as expected.
2. Temp control calling for heat, cabin blowers run for a few seconds and then stop, regardless of fan setting.

I'm now having this exact same failure. Does anyone know what the fix is?

Do I need to confirm the rear blower is hooked up and working properly? I've owned the car for 1.5 years and have never heard the rear blower come on.

This is an 89 C4. I'm pretty sure the CCM is original.

Thanks
Kris

Quick Reply: Having intermittent blower fan problems, and have a few others questions!!!