Jumping out of 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:18 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumping out of 2nd gear

Hi All,

I have searched to see if someone has a similar problem to that detailed below, but only found one thread with this problem.

My 964 jumps out of second gear when lifting off from high revs. i.e. driving flat out in second gear at 5000+ rpm into a corner, lifting off to brake and the gear pops out to neutral.

This doesn't happen every single time and is specific to second gear, whether I have changed down from 3rd or up from 1st. I am hoping it is something simple, but assume it will not be

The car has 99k miles, last clutch change at 45k, so is probably due a new one. However, there is no sign of clutch slip although I do sometimes get some judder in the pedal, though very slight, when pulling away in 1st. Is this a sign of worn engine mounts and could they be the cuase of my 2nd gear problem?

All suggestions greatly appreciated, as always.

Adam.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:49 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Some of the 996TT's have the same problem which requires a rebuild or a new transmission.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:54 PM
drgn2phnx
Intermediate

i've heard that a broken teeth gear can cause gear pop'n .......
it might be the syncro, i don't know ~ just guessing
Old 10-04-2007, 04:29 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Oh dear, I was hoping it wouldn't be something too expensive. Any other suggestions before I get someone to start pulling the transmission apart?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send in an oil sample .
If the oil shows that damage has been done internally , bust open the piggy bank .
If not , then maybe look for linkage problems .
Old 10-05-2007, 12:57 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by meek
Oh dear, I was hoping it wouldn't be something too expensive.
You can ask your mechanic to adjust the shift rod but

Any other suggestions before I get someone to start pulling the transmission apart?
it will probably be a damaged guide or shift sleeve between 1st and 2nd gear.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 10-05-2007 at 03:59 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:59 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice guys. I will take it down to my mech. and go from there. An oil sample sounds like a good start. Atleast I am a liitle better armed with knowledge. Thanks again all.

Adam.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't discount worn engine and transmission mounts as the source of your problem. Under the conditions you describe, you are putting a lot of load on your drive train, and abruptly letting off the throttle would cause it to shift about quite a bit.

I'd be looking at those first.

.. Gregg
Old 10-07-2007, 11:24 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Thanks Gregg, That is something I was going to take a look at ( well, my mech. will ). Sods law, I took the 964 out for a good blat yesterday and couldn't get the gear to jump out; not once, no matter how hard I pushed it ?!?!?
Old 10-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Gregg, That is something I was going to take a look at ( well, my mech. will ). Sods law, I took the 964 out for a good blat yesterday and couldn't get the gear to jump out; not once, no matter how hard I pushed it ?!?!?
Good news, actually. Reinforces the notion that there's nothing mechanically wrong inside the box ... a defect in the gear cluster wouldn't come and go.

... Gregg
Old 10-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

You may want to get your mech check the shift rod for unnecessary play (disconnect shift linkage from trans shift rod) then check the shift rod positioning with the eccentric bush on the front right side of the trans lower part. Near point where the shift rod comes into the trans. Have him disconnect the shift rod and see if the rod shifts easily through the gears (without resistance) and goes full into each gear. Adjust the eccentric bushing as required to allow full gear selection - hope this helps - sounds like it may be just a spring /ball rod position keeper After last note hope it does not reoccur-
Old 10-08-2007, 11:13 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Thanks Gus, Thanks for the suggestion. It was your post I referred to as the only one I could find when I searched; you dind't seem to get many responses and no solution. I guess you worked it out?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:40 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

NO - Have not resolved the issue yet - am going to have to go into the trans - believe the issue is inside the box - but the company that rebuilt the trans is going to take it out next week - so we will see what they find when it gets broken down -The differences between our problems are mine was after a rebuild - so it has to be an assembly problem that has gotten worse within 300 miles - Yours is over time, maybe normal wear - but it sounds like something slipped or gave way - Is your trans back to working normal as per the last note on the issue
Old 10-09-2007, 10:40 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Seems to be running just fine at the moment. I will keep everything crossed and hope that is stays that way for a while longer; atleast until a new clutch is required, then it can all be dealt with in one hit.

Sorry to hear your problem hasn't been solved. I hope the company you are using are straight enough to own up if they find an error on their part. I guess the only way to be sure would to be there when it comes apart.

Quick Reply: Jumping out of 2nd gear