Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My engine is being rebuilt

 
Old 09-28-2007, 08:00 PM
  #1  
TR6
Super User
Thread Starter
 
TR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas/FortWorth Texas
Posts: 3,438
Default My engine is being rebuilt

Well, some of you may have seen some references in some other threads to my engine being down for a rebuild. It started knocking about a month ago and has been sitting since waiting to be torn down by Buckley Racing. Today, Jim Buckley called me and said that the #5 bearing was spun. Mystery knock solved. Now the rebuild journey begins. He's looking for a good used crank now to replace mine. The other option is to rebuild my crank. But his first choice is to find a good used one that is well within spec.

Also, my #5 rod end is out of tolerance now. We will either find a used rod that is a match for the weight group of my other rods or go with aftermarket rods. Possibly Powder Rods. I'm told the Carillo rods won't work on the 964 without modification. Something to do with clearing the oil pump.

My car is going to be down for probably 5 or 6 weeks.
TR6 is offline  
Old 09-28-2007, 08:03 PM
  #2  
rennmax
User
 
rennmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Downunder
Posts: 107
Default

Found these the other day don't know if they are an alternative conrod.
rennmax is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 12:21 AM
  #3  
pu911rsr
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
pu911rsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 2,750
Default

Well Jim will know what's best. I personally have seen enough 3.6 rods stuck through the side of engine blocks that I would go with Pauters myself.
Phil
pu911rsr is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 12:42 AM
  #4  
boze_man
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
boze_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: back east...
Posts: 533
Default

dam greg...hang in there
boze_man is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 02:48 AM
  #5  
sundog
Workin' It, Daddy!
Rennlist Member
 
sundog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 17,098
Default

Did you get a reason for the #5 being spun?

Look at all of the oil pipes going over the rear wheel, including the 2 breathers, and make sure that they are not cut. My #5 spun from getting sand in the oil tank, through a worn oil breather hose.

If that's the case, the oiling system needs to be replaced, or you will rebuild more than once. Ask me how I know!
sundog is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 04:22 AM
  #6  
Christer
Super User
 
Christer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,922
Default

Originally Posted by TR6 View Post
Well, some of you may have seen some references in some other threads to my engine being down for a rebuild. It started knocking about a month ago and has been sitting since waiting to be torn down by Buckley Racing. Today, Jim Buckley called me and said that the #5 bearing was spun. Mystery knock solved. Now the rebuild journey begins. He's looking for a good used crank now to replace mine. The other option is to rebuild my crank. But his first choice is to find a good used one that is well within spec.

Also, my #5 rod end is out of tolerance now. We will either find a used rod that is a match for the weight group of my other rods or go with aftermarket rods. Possibly Powder Rods. I'm told the Carillo rods won't work on the 964 without modification. Something to do with clearing the oil pump.

My car is going to be down for probably 5 or 6 weeks.
Hi Greg

I use Carillo's in mine without any problem. It sounds like a competitior of Carillo's might have spread some stories...

Let us know how it goes!
Christer is offline  
Old 09-29-2007, 12:06 PM
  #7  
TR6
Super User
Thread Starter
 
TR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas/FortWorth Texas
Posts: 3,438
Default

Originally Posted by pu911rsr View Post
Well Jim will know what's best. I personally have seen enough 3.6 rods stuck through the side of engine blocks that I would go with Pauters myself.
Actually, Jim mentioned Pauter Rods as an alternative to the Carillos. They're a little cheaper too.
Originally Posted by sundog View Post
Did you get a reason for the #5 being spun?
No, just speculation. He said it looked like there was wear on the other rod bearings too.
Originally Posted by sundog View Post
Look at all of the oil pipes going over the rear wheel, including the 2 breathers, and make sure that they are not cut. My #5 spun from getting sand in the oil tank, through a worn oil breather hose. If that's the case, the oiling system needs to be replaced, or you will rebuild more than once. Ask me how I know!
He is planning to send the oil tank and oil cooler out to some aircraft maintenance company to have them proffesionally cleaned on the assumption that they are contaminated. Not sure about the lines and breather hose, but I'll ask. Appreciate the input!
Originally Posted by Christer View Post
I use Carillo's in mine without any problem. It sounds like a competitior of Carillo's might have spread some stories...
Interesting. I would have thought, like you, that Carillo wouldn't have any issues with 964 engines. I'll explore it further. But if the Pauters are as good, and they are a little cheaper, then maybe they are a better option? I am ignorant on these things, so I need to research, and get some input from people that know much more than me about rods.

He's planning to blueprint the engine and balance everything. Should be a great engine when its done. Of course, it ain't gonna be cheap...
TR6 is offline  
Old 09-30-2007, 02:13 PM
  #8  
Shane D
User
 
Shane D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 570
Post

Is the car for racing or a regular driver? What all do you think you might change out? If you're dealing with a racing shop, will you have the finished product dyno'd? I's love to hear how it goes, and what the final cost was.

Good luck!
Shane D is offline  
Old 10-01-2007, 11:09 PM
  #9  
KirkF
User
 
KirkF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Winnipeg, MB Canada
Posts: 1,366
Default

My .02

Personally I dont think I would change from stock rods unless you are planning on raising the rev limit.
They are capable of handling lot of horsepower, and there is no reason why you couldnt just balance the stock rods.

Kirk
KirkF is offline  
Old 10-02-2007, 12:01 AM
  #10  
TR6
Super User
Thread Starter
 
TR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas/FortWorth Texas
Posts: 3,438
Default

Originally Posted by KirkF View Post
Personally I dont think I would change from stock rods unless you are planning on raising the rev limit. They are capable of handling lot of horsepower, and there is no reason why you couldnt just balance the stock rods.
I don't disagree at all. But in my case, one of my rods is damaged from the bearing failure, so I have to replace one anyway which isn't cheap. And then add in the cost of balancing all of them. Then add in the cost of ARP rod bolts. Suddenly, the delta between stock rods and something like Pauter or Carillo rods is much less. So, I guess you could argue that I am definitely overbuilding the engine. But it will be a stout engine when its done.
TR6 is offline  
Old 10-02-2007, 12:41 AM
  #11  
Larry Herman
F1 Resident Adult
Rennlist Member

Small Business Sponsor

 
Larry Herman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lambertville, NJ
Posts: 10,432
Default

A GT3 oil pump is a nice mod if you are going to track it.
__________________
Larry Herman
2016 Ford Transit Connect Titanium LWB
2016 Chevy Volt - Electricity can be fun!
National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.
Larry Herman is offline  
Old 10-03-2007, 11:43 PM
  #12  
KirkF
User
 
KirkF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Winnipeg, MB Canada
Posts: 1,366
Default

Greg,

Good point.
And I suppose you could sell the other 5 rods on here or on pelican to recoup some more of the costs.

Kirk
KirkF is offline  
Old 10-11-2007, 10:21 PM
  #13  
KirkF
User
 
KirkF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Winnipeg, MB Canada
Posts: 1,366
Default

I happened to notice this set of 6 stock rods on ebay. 23 hours left. No bids. Looks like you could pick them up for $50.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem

Kirk
KirkF is offline  
Old 10-12-2007, 12:44 PM
  #14  
chancecasey
User
 
chancecasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,083
Default

+1 on stock rods being fine for just about any kind of HP you are going to make - just be sure to use the ARP bolts.

Check with Henry at Supertec - he has loads of extra rods. You'll want to recondition all of your rods anyway, so milling one down to match weight wouldn't be a big deal.

Only question is whether buying a used one, reconditioning all 6 and perhaps milling the new one will be cheaper than a whole new set of rods.
chancecasey is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: