Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   My engine is being rebuilt (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/381288-my-engine-is-being-rebuilt.html)

TR6 09-28-2007 08:00 PM

My engine is being rebuilt

Well, some of you may have seen some references in some other threads to my engine being down for a rebuild. It started knocking about a month ago and has been sitting since waiting to be torn down by Buckley Racing. Today, Jim Buckley called me and said that the #5 bearing was spun. Mystery knock solved. Now the rebuild journey begins. He's looking for a good used crank now to replace mine. The other option is to rebuild my crank. But his first choice is to find a good used one that is well within spec.

Also, my #5 rod end is out of tolerance now. We will either find a used rod that is a match for the weight group of my other rods or go with aftermarket rods. Possibly Powder Rods. I'm told the Carillo rods won't work on the 964 without modification. Something to do with clearing the oil pump.

My car is going to be down for probably 5 or 6 weeks. :(

rennmax 09-28-2007 08:03 PM

Found these the other day don't know if they are an alternative conrod.

pu911rsr 09-29-2007 12:21 AM

Well Jim will know what's best. I personally have seen enough 3.6 rods stuck through the side of engine blocks that I would go with Pauters myself.
Phil

boze_man 09-29-2007 12:42 AM

dam greg...hang in there

sundog 09-29-2007 02:48 AM

Did you get a reason for the #5 being spun?

Look at all of the oil pipes going over the rear wheel, including the 2 breathers, and make sure that they are not cut. My #5 spun from getting sand in the oil tank, through a worn oil breather hose.

If that's the case, the oiling system needs to be replaced, or you will rebuild more than once. Ask me how I know!

Christer 09-29-2007 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by TR6 (Post 4621077)
Well, some of you may have seen some references in some other threads to my engine being down for a rebuild. It started knocking about a month ago and has been sitting since waiting to be torn down by Buckley Racing. Today, Jim Buckley called me and said that the #5 bearing was spun. Mystery knock solved. Now the rebuild journey begins. He's looking for a good used crank now to replace mine. The other option is to rebuild my crank. But his first choice is to find a good used one that is well within spec.

Also, my #5 rod end is out of tolerance now. We will either find a used rod that is a match for the weight group of my other rods or go with aftermarket rods. Possibly Powder Rods. I'm told the Carillo rods won't work on the 964 without modification. Something to do with clearing the oil pump.

My car is going to be down for probably 5 or 6 weeks. :(

Hi Greg

I use Carillo's in mine without any problem. It sounds like a competitior of Carillo's might have spread some stories...;)

Let us know how it goes!

TR6 09-29-2007 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by pu911rsr (Post 4621831)
Well Jim will know what's best. I personally have seen enough 3.6 rods stuck through the side of engine blocks that I would go with Pauters myself.

Actually, Jim mentioned Pauter Rods as an alternative to the Carillos. They're a little cheaper too.

Originally Posted by sundog (Post 4622113)
Did you get a reason for the #5 being spun?

No, just speculation. He said it looked like there was wear on the other rod bearings too.

Originally Posted by sundog (Post 4622113)
Look at all of the oil pipes going over the rear wheel, including the 2 breathers, and make sure that they are not cut. My #5 spun from getting sand in the oil tank, through a worn oil breather hose. If that's the case, the oiling system needs to be replaced, or you will rebuild more than once. Ask me how I know!

He is planning to send the oil tank and oil cooler out to some aircraft maintenance company to have them proffesionally cleaned on the assumption that they are contaminated. Not sure about the lines and breather hose, but I'll ask. Appreciate the input!

Originally Posted by Christer (Post 4622189)
I use Carillo's in mine without any problem. It sounds like a competitior of Carillo's might have spread some stories...

Interesting. I would have thought, like you, that Carillo wouldn't have any issues with 964 engines. I'll explore it further. But if the Pauters are as good, and they are a little cheaper, then maybe they are a better option? I am ignorant on these things, so I need to research, and get some input from people that know much more than me about rods.

He's planning to blueprint the engine and balance everything. Should be a great engine when its done. :) Of course, it ain't gonna be cheap... :crying:

Shane D 09-30-2007 02:13 PM

Is the car for racing or a regular driver? What all do you think you might change out? If you're dealing with a racing shop, will you have the finished product dyno'd? I's love to hear how it goes, and what the final cost was.

Good luck!:thumbup:

KirkF 10-01-2007 11:09 PM

My .02

Personally I dont think I would change from stock rods unless you are planning on raising the rev limit.
They are capable of handling lot of horsepower, and there is no reason why you couldnt just balance the stock rods.

Kirk

TR6 10-02-2007 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by KirkF (Post 4630433)
Personally I dont think I would change from stock rods unless you are planning on raising the rev limit. They are capable of handling lot of horsepower, and there is no reason why you couldnt just balance the stock rods.

I don't disagree at all. But in my case, one of my rods is damaged from the bearing failure, so I have to replace one anyway which isn't cheap. And then add in the cost of balancing all of them. Then add in the cost of ARP rod bolts. Suddenly, the delta between stock rods and something like Pauter or Carillo rods is much less. So, I guess you could argue that I am definitely overbuilding the engine. But it will be a stout engine when its done.

Larry Herman 10-02-2007 12:41 AM

A GT3 oil pump is a nice mod if you are going to track it.

KirkF 10-03-2007 11:43 PM

Greg,

Good point.
And I suppose you could sell the other 5 rods on here or on pelican to recoup some more of the costs.

Kirk

KirkF 10-11-2007 10:21 PM

I happened to notice this set of 6 stock rods on ebay. 23 hours left. No bids. Looks like you could pick them up for $50.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem

Kirk

chancecasey 10-12-2007 12:44 PM

+1 on stock rods being fine for just about any kind of HP you are going to make - just be sure to use the ARP bolts.

Check with Henry at Supertec - he has loads of extra rods. You'll want to recondition all of your rods anyway, so milling one down to match weight wouldn't be a big deal.

Only question is whether buying a used one, reconditioning all 6 and perhaps milling the new one will be cheaper than a whole new set of rods.