Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Res., First 2k+ for me. OIL Gauge low. help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:02 PM
rodtds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Res., First 2k+ for me. OIL Gauge low. help!

NEW OWNER., I noticed today that after up to full operating temp, my gauge for reservoir is just above red to inside red. Only 80degs here today and car ran perfect temp about 8pm on master gauge. highest would have been 9pm in traffic. Oil pressure is reading high. How much oil do I need to put in? I assume this is critical? 1 QT? Then where to deposit this oil that is needed. thanks in advance!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 11:07 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

only read the oil guage when you are parked on a flat surface with the car fully warmed up and at idle for at least 30-45 seconds. It should be in the red when driving and move up only when at idle. DONT OVER FILL!!!
Old 09-13-2007, 11:56 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to what jimq said. In addition to waiting until the car is at full warmed temperature and letting it sit for a couple of minutes on a level surface, I advise only adding perhaps 1/4 of a quart at a time and give it a minute to register fully on the gauge between each pour. Not a whole quart at once. Many people have made the mistake of overfilling.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:08 PM
rodtds
Advanced

Thanks, currently it is in the red at idle and driving under full operating temp. Should I dump that quarter of a quart into the main oil or is there a reserve oil area??
Old 09-14-2007, 12:35 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Hello....you're getting great advice here - and I'm jumping in ONLY because I've been down this path before....and ended up with some grey hairs as well as siphoning out the excess. Thanks to the folks on this forum, I was able to get it sorted out. Greg H's comments are right on - only add small amounts each time. Slow down & don't make extra work for yourself..... Verify everything before you start pouring: normal operating temp, level surface, read the dipstick, looks at the guages. Use a clean funnel to add oil to the tank, RH side inside engine compartment - should be a "screw on" yellow cap.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:09 PM
rodtds
Advanced

It is why I came here first and got my info, so I DFU. Car had GTX 20/50 at the PPI and oil change. I will add about a quarter first through a funnel in oil entry point. My garage is basically flat but has a slight nose down tilt. You cant see it but I can tell from my gas gauge for example. thanks for the help.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:40 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

You want your oil temperature to be a least this high before you put in more.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Jason you need to check your oil pressure. Looks a bit low
Old 09-14-2007, 04:15 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

Old 09-14-2007, 04:16 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jimq
Jason you need to check your oil pressure. Looks a bit low
and his gauge needs a freshening at North Hollywood VDO repair- looks like Goldmember from the Austin Powers film
Old 09-14-2007, 04:46 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

That photoshopped gauge photo is a couple of years old. Some of the other gauges were even worse... I actually made separation masks in Adobe Illustrator so that I could silk screen new gauge faces but never went through with printing onto the old plastic gauge face. And just ended up fixing the gauges with an exacto knife. I suppose I should take some new photos with the actual level and pressure.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:09 PM
HockeyDoc8
3rd Gear

Default Oil gauge revisited

I just purchased a 1990 964 C4 and was asking myself the same question. When the car is idling on a level surface (with warmed oil) the oil level gauge in horizontal. When I drive, the needle dips down into the red and stays there. Now let me get this straight -- this is normal? I read the manual and it does say the gauge is inaccurate during driving and movements of the needle "are of no significance". A visual dipstick oil check shows the oil level halfway between the 2 notches on the dipstick. I assume all is OK?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

thats normal
Old 09-14-2007, 09:08 PM
rodtds
Advanced

OK! I slowly added 1/2 quart after I got to full temp with 40 mile errand I had to do. came home and put in a quarter of oil at a time. at 1/2 quart, I got the reservoir oil gauge to match the 8pm reading on Master Oil Gauge. I let it idle for about 3-5 mins to corfirm reading. It held steady at below half way and then went to red on accel. All is well!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:49 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HockeyDoc8
I just purchased a 1990 964 C4 and was asking myself the same question. When the car is idling on a level surface (with warmed oil) the oil level gauge in horizontal. When I drive, the needle dips down into the red and stays there. Now let me get this straight -- this is normal? I read the manual and it does say the gauge is inaccurate during driving and movements of the needle "are of no significance". A visual dipstick oil check shows the oil level halfway between the 2 notches on the dipstick. I assume all is OK?
Your gauge is working perfectly! You have the oil half way between the min and max on the dipstick, thus halfway on the gauge! Proper way to check the oil level with the gauge or dipstick is level car, ideling for 30+ seconds, fully warmed up. The gauge is irrelevant at anything other than this scenario.

By the way, pretty much everyone recommends keeping it as close to the center as possible- i.e. , don't bother filling up to "full" at idle/warm/level, as there's a good chance the car isn't fully wamred, and the oil level will go over the max on some hot day. Keep it between (like your car currently is) and your a-OK!

Quick Reply: Oil Res., First 2k+ for me. OIL Gauge low. help!