Sponsored by:

Proper introduction with pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 08:21 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper introduction with pics

I have been lurking on the 964 forum ever since I sold my 944 Turbo ( sorely missed ) and bought a 964. I already owe a debt of thanks all those knowledgeable, helpful members that I have gleaned so much useful information from and have bought a membership to acknowledge this. Thanks guys.

The car is a MY92 Carrera 4 in Polar Silver with Matador Red, full leather interior and 98k on the clock. I had intended on buying a spotless, low mileage car at the top end of my budget, but having found nothing in a colour scheme I liked, ( is that really girlie? ) I saw and fell for this one. I couldn’t resist, despite the fact that the bodywork was tired and there were various mechanical items needing attention that were raised on the PPI.

So, six patient months later, a pile of cash and it is all pretty much done. There are a few snags that still need attention ( spot the deliberate mistake with the paintwork ) but I thought it was looking good enough to make a proper introduction.

I must confess I was always an ardent 911 hater. “Over rated, engine in the wrong place, yuppies drive them etc. etc. “ However, 7 years ago, having got rid of a company car, I decided to get back to a much neglected passion for old, fun, fast cars and started the search for something that would be reliable as a DD. That narrowed down the options somewhat. My previous experience had been with old British sports cars, MGBs and a ‘73 Lotus Elan, none of which would make good DDs. I almost bought a Renault Alpine A610, but couldn’t live with the parts bin interior and ended up buying my first Porsche, a 944 Turbo. I have been hooked on Porsches ever since.

I have only put 200 miles or so on the 964 since picking it up last weekend, but I already feel that 10 years from now, I will still be grinning every time I get in it and fire it up.

Best bits for me so far?

- The engine noise. Nothing in the world sounds like that. It has the same iconic status as a RR Merlin engine in a Spitfire. One flies over my house once every month, and despite all the other light aircraft that wiz over my house, I KNOW when the Spit is coming and rush out to see it.

- The interior layout. Total madness. Eclectic? Eccentric? The only thing in the right place is the rev counter, but that is what I love about it. Nothing in life has a right to be perfect, and if it is, it’s dull. All the truly great classic cars are flawed in some way, which is what fuels our passion for them.

- The smell of hot oil and clicking metal as I get out after a blast. Makes me grin in a boyish, guilty manner every time.

Bad bits?

- One thing only. Ever since I started driving this as my DD, only one person has acknowledged me when I have stopped to let them through a narrow street. Nobody, as yet, has let me out of a busy junction. Odd the effect that a 911 has on people. The 944 Turbo must have been less offensive to the ignorant; one of which I used to be.

Enough waffle, I must now go and take a drive. I need a pint of milk and it will take me a good 12 miles of grinning to get to the corner shop, 1/2 a mile away.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:35 AM
chet_964c2
Advanced

Thumbs up

Welcome! Very nice car, enjoy.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Welcome aboard. It looks like a great car.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:05 AM
ormy
Advanced

Great car

Originally Posted by meek
Bad bits?

- One thing only. Ever since I started driving this as my DD, only one person has acknowledged me when I have stopped to let them through a narrow street. Nobody, as yet, has let me out of a busy junction. Odd the effect that a 911 has on people. The 944 Turbo must have been less offensive to the ignorant; one of which I used to be.
LOL - this is the first thing I noticed too. Some people really are wierd!

As a consolation - more strangers will come up to you and remark what a classic shape it is.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:52 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

Although we all know red cars are much faster, I must admit I really like the silver exterior and red interior combination. Nice car.
Enjoy your car as a daily driver - it makes going to work seem worthwhile after all.
You do have to get used to the snubbing by all the other lost souls on the road. Be especially wary of hen-pecked men driving mini-vans - they are the worst. The HAVE to pass you and your Porsche, whatever the cost.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:36 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the compliments guys...well, thanks from the car...it has nought to do with me Thankfully I work from home, so no heavy commute for me and the car. Unfortunately I do a fair few short trips, so will HAVE to take it for a good thrashing once in a while to keep it healthy.

I have just had a call from the mechanic that did the work to sort out the bill, so once I have spoken to him, I may not be quite so in love with it
Old 09-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow silver and black cars with red interiors are my favourite. very good choice
Old 09-03-2007, 02:06 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice. Love the red interior..
Old 09-03-2007, 02:09 PM
asimler
Racer

Beautiful looking car, a perfect colour combo

Love that steering wheel too, but I'm biased as have the same
Old 09-03-2007, 02:46 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

The CS steering wheel really does complete the interior for me; feels so right. Only issue I have is that it doesn't seem to seat all the way down i.e. there is a 1/4" gap between the hub and the plastic cowling so that one can see tyhe electrical contact. Is that right?
Old 09-03-2007, 05:10 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Nice car! I'm a silver fan too. Welcome.

Steve
Old 09-03-2007, 05:35 PM
964polar
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome. Love that ext colour
Old 09-03-2007, 06:29 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

One of the best looking 964's so far...in fact Matador red was a Triumph color.

Originally Posted by meek
Bad bits?
- One thing only.
Oh! you will find a few others, I'm afraid...
Old 09-04-2007, 05:16 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Thanks again guys. A Triumph colour? I must admit it is a bit of a pinky red; though I guess that a matador's cape is more pink than red. My 944 Silver Rose had Studio Check cloth, which although ostensibly burgundy, the overall effect was pink and the paint had a hint of rose. At 36 years of age, I am sure I am not in possession of a closet!?!
Old 09-04-2007, 06:17 AM
jamesallum
Instructor

Loving that colour combo, first I have seen.

It's made me reconsider getting the CS wheel too!

Quick Reply: Proper introduction with pics